Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

I wanted to replace my 272 but sadly also in The Netherlands the energy prices became so high. So I’ve to spend my savings to keep it warm in the upcoming winter to enjoy my 272. And still am happy with the wonderful sound of it😉.

Thanks for the reply👍

Hi Jack - are you using an Apple device? There’s an iOS update out for Naim App - 5.22.2.
Please try that if applicable

Hi All,

Anyone having problems with streaming podcasts through Spotify?

Just trying it for the first time since upgrading yesterday and the NDS is grayed out in Spotify as a possible device with the message " Can’t play this right now underneath". Was working fine prior to the upgrade.

I’ve restarted the NDS, phone and routers but still the same problem.

Any help would be great as it’s a feature I use a lot.

Cheers,
Loks

I don’t use Tidal so I’m leaving my NDX well alone!

I’m also NDX & don’t use Tidal, but the SQ change with 4.8, to my system, was well worth the small effort.

Sorry my mistake, I think this is unrelated to the firmware upgrade, I just went back to 4.7 and still having the same issue.

It is strange though, music streams fine to the NDS via Spotify connect, it’s just podcasts that don’t work. Will check with Spotify support for a solution.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Clare,

Thanks for the tip. I have downloaded the newest IOS version and so far so good (fingers crossed).

Cheers,
Jack

OK, Clare, I have some new information. This morning I got the "Can’t Play again. I am using Naim app 5.22.2 on a current model iPad. I tried going to UpNP, radio and iRadio, returning to Tidal each time. The result was Can’t Play.

So I restarted the app, same result.
Then I rebooted the NDX by turning it off for 30 seconds and restarting it. The display showed the last UpNP selection I had. When I tried TIDAL on the app it did not respond. So I restarted the iPad app again.

After waiting a short time (say 15 seconds) I then took a deep breath, selected a track and to my great relief I heard the CPE Bach keyboard concerto in D minor performed by Miklos Spanyi (highly recommended!)

Even better news, that is what I selected to play…

Cheers,
Jack

Thanks for feedback - will pass it on and get back re potential fixes

It might be straightforward to some, that it is referred to as ‘firmware’ here, but ‘streamer version’ on the app, but it wasn’t to me. I am a very literal person, so would be great for Naim to be consistent by renaming how it is referred to here or changing it in the App?

1 Like

Hi Chirg, yes it irritates me too, but it’s been that way forever, so don’t hold yer breath.
My vote is to change the app to just ‘Firmware’ & also to drop the ‘Version’ words after App & Build etc.

Both NAC 272 and UnitiQute 2 updated to v4.8 without a glitch, read the PDF, followed the instructions and, hey presto, done!

Using MacBook Pro 2018 15”, latest MacOS and adapted micro USB to USB C with Apple adapter.

Functionality as before with Zenith Mk III, Internet Radio, ApplePlay through Airport Express and direct from Zenith DAC USB through Meridian Explorer I.

BTW, on MacOS, you’ll have to ‘allow’ the Naim Updater to run as the default security settings will prevent its execution. :grinning:

KR, J

1 Like

Copying in @tomvamos here, as this is good feedback for the App team.

3 Likes

This was discussed a couple of years back, but my threat to report you to the Plain English Society didn’t work!

2 Likes

Okay I think I might have some new information for you. When you use the Naim app if you go and search for a particular composer you can use the search function to find piece within the scope of the search. Once you do that it then says “can’t play”. In fact it says can’t play for everything thereafter. It may have something to do with the way that you access the track.

Unitiqute 2 BT version 4.8 firmware update Tidal login issues:
Having successfully updated my legacy Qute to the new 4.8 version for use with the Naim Android 2.22 app using an Android 6 phone, I cannot now login to Tidal from the Naim app. I press the Tidal icon and am directed to the Tidal login, I press “yes continue” and then " Your call is authenticated" appears but nothing more happens resulting in no access to my Tidal collection. I have done the normal restarts and switch offs to no avail. I also have the Tidal app on my phone which works perfectly. I have contacted both Tidal and Naim supports. Tidal can do nothing as it has “no access to third party software” and Naim have issued me with a support ticket, I await contact from them. Can anyone offer any insights into this issue? perhaps I am missing something simple.

Thanking you in advance, Michael, Dublin

Michael, are you sure you have tried power cycling everything including the router and closing and re-starting the App?

Hello Richard, thanks for replying. Yes I have done all of those things. I even coincidentally, availed of a new router upgrade. This followed the firmware update. The unit plays iradio through a wired connection but no access to Tidal through either my email login or through FB. I will persist. Cheers, Michael

Which router are you using, incidentally? There may be a setting that’s causing problems there.

I’ll just confirm that I have been seeing similar behaviour to what @Jack42 is reporting with v5.22.2 of the app on both my NDS and 1st-gen Muso.

When sitting down to a fresh listening session with Tidal chosen tracks will not play. With the NDS, “Can’t Play” is displayed on the screen. The fix is to go to UPnP and play a bit from any track on my music server (Innuos Zen MkII). After this action, tracks from Tidal will play normally. If the system is left alone for a while, this sequence of events needs to be repeated.

There also appears to be a nuance to play a UPnP track. On choosing UPnP I will often see in the lower left of the app the thumbnail for the last track that was played, but if I choose this specific track, nothing happens there either. I have to go through the motions of finding a different track, play a bit from it, and then the first UPnP track and Tidal are good to go.