Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

So Tidal has now problems on both systems to contact the Tidal login server…if it will continue I will open another thread.

I think the advice is to log out of Tidal and then log in again….

2 Likes

Yes, try logging out then back into Tidal.

Actually tried that first, but it tells me, that it cannot reach the Tidal server…rebooting the router now.

Solved it !

3 Likes

Can it do any irreversible damage by trying an older version of the apple ios (Sierra), or will it just reject the upload. Ive used this for all updates up to 4.6 and it worked perfectly. I don’t mind trying it but don’t want to “brick” the nds.

You can’t brick the NDS, because it has permanent firmware that will allow it to boot into an update state if a previous update failed. But if you got into that state you might need to use another pc to do the update successfully.

Having said that, I don’t think you can run the software unless it’s going to work, because it won’t start unless it sees the virtual com port and if it’s worked before for 4.6, likely it will for 4.8 too. Or to put it another way I don’t recall any stern instructions to avoid Sierra during beta testing. And I am pretty certain I read a post here from someone who had done it successfully with a version prior to Catalina.

But it’s up to you…

Best

David

1 Like

Updated my NDS to 4.8. Tidal has worked almost fine but now I’m unable to play anything. I have a Muso mk1 also updated on the same network. Tidal work fine earlier this evening now says ‘Another app connected’ Disconnect other client and try again. There are no other apps connected to my knowledge. The Muso is on standby when trying to use the NDS but will play tracks from Tidal if selected. The NDS doesn’t respond but I guess it might if I switch it off for 30 seconds. I did this yesterday after the 4.8 upgrade when Tidal said it had downloaded ‘x’ number of tracks but wouldn’t play until I switched the NDS off and back on.

Mike

Turning the NDS off didn’t allow Tidal to play. Going into iradio fired up the NDS for radio. Then selecting albums in Tidal worked fine but this is the second time since yesterday’s 4.8 firmware update that things are not normal.

Mike

Hi Mike. Are there multiple TIDAL accounts being used in your household? We have found that can trigger this behaviour.

The issue is with the App, not the Firmware, incidentally- a fix is in the next App release, which is in Beta test and should be out soon.

Workaround in meantime is to choose another source, eg iRadio, before going back to TIDAL.

Hi Clare, I have oneTidal but I can use my iPad or phone to play either the Muso or the NDS. I did discover that going into iradio then back to Tidal got things going as you suggest. Thank you.

Mike

Thanks Mike - should be fixed by new App update, so let us know how you get on

1 Like

How necessary is it to carry out this update?

I greatly appreciate the lengths to which Naim staff go to provide owners of legacy equipment with updates, both to the firmware and to the App. For example the recent app changes providing dynamic text adjustment and the plus and minus buttons for volume are a boon for me, received with gratitude.

I own a UnitiLite and a Nac 272, but my streaming is from the music and downloads folders on my Uniti Core only. Set in my ways now, I am never likely to join this new-fangled paid for streaming lark. Also the downloaded instructions seem daunting and complex, making me recoil in apprehension.

So can I let this lurk on my desktop and not actually do anything with it, or will this downgrade the utility or performance of my streamers in some way?

If you don’t use TIDAL, or have no intention to do so, it’s totally a matter of personal choice.

…is the right answer!

Thanks Clare.

1 Like

Sorry, but 11 pages needed for a firmware update?
Isn’t it possible to make this a ‘bit’ easier?

Yes, if you buy a current Naim product it’s a quick over-the-air process via the Naim App :grinning:

But seriously: the guide is long because it is very detailed and includes step-by-step instructions, with screenshots to illustrate.

Appreciate it’s not easy, but that’s why the system got changed many years ago.

3 Likes

Over the years quite a few people have run into problems updating. It nearly always turns out that they have missed one small detail and that has caused the update to stall. Follow it to the letter and it nearly always works. Then, when you’ve done it once, the next time it seems very easy.

1 Like

Hi, I was going to report this just now. I’m using an NDX too. It has happened twice now. I wonder if we should create a new thread for this? So here are my observations/notes about this:

1. When listening to a CD on my Upnp server the Naim app suggests other albums by the same performer, when you click it it goes to TIDAL and says that it “Can’t play”. After this all TIDAL tracks are unavailable whether they are saved in favorites or in the TIDAL area.

2. Faffing about with different sources, FM, Upnp, Digital radio etc eventually kicks it back into sync

I have a theory about this, I suspect that the authentication code is not in a reusable software module and that there are two instances of it. The one that authenticates after you enter TIDAL via suggestions hasn’t been updated to the new protocol. After mucking around you eventually hit the piece of code that HAS been updated. Claire, can you check with your software team if this what is going on?

Cheers,
Jack

1 Like

For info. I have the exact same ‘can’t’ play issue on NDX. I had to reboot streamer and shut/restart ipad to getting it working again simply changing to radio stream didn’t work the second time this happened.