Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

I’ve asked the software team - will let you know the verdict!

Fixed it!
I guess because my laptop is quite new NET Framework v2.0 is not enabled. I went to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/Turn Windows features On or Off. It listed Framework v2.0 and allowed me to enable and download it and the installation then worked.
Now just need the cable.

4 Likes

All fine with the NDS update; working with Roon via RPi but not via SonoreBridge. Now to update my ‘Qutes, having tracked down a new driver and the various cables.

So far the UQ1 (RS232 interface) has failed to update, with a message saying its IP address can’t be found. At first I could not find its address with Netanalyzer, but after three attempts and a change of driver (although the drop down options did not change) the update worked. With my UQ2s the update process was faultless, with no need to reset.

1 Like

My 272 is successfully updated to 4.8, using Windows 10, although not without incident. The USB-COM driver appears to be highly sensitive to the USB cable used and the USB port you plug it into on the computer. First I tried one cable, a USB extension connected to a USB A-mini B, and the driver said the device could not start. This was not a surprise, so I tried a single USB A to mini B cable. This one did not work either – the device manager said the device could not start again. I tried plugging the same single A to min B cable into another USB port on my computer and this time it worked – the driver did not come up with an error. Then I ran the Naim update and it went through fine.

There was an oblique mention in another thread that this update would mean some change in DSD playback (hinting at an improvement?). Can we now know what it is?

Glad you’re sorted.

The full firmware release notes are in Richard’s post this morning. To recap:

New:

• TIDAL login authorisation update. NB: Also requires Naim App 5.22 or 2.22 or later
  • HLS encoded stations other than BBC now play (eg. Rock On Radio)

Improved:

• Radio - Stations / podcasts that need TLS1.3 HTTPS now play (eg. Wyldwood radio)

Fixed:

• Podcasts under Ireland > Bookish would fail to play
  • Multiroom clients would be disconnected from a new platform master when playing unsupported sample rates or entering standby
  • Stations under France → All → NRJ Nostalgie failed to play
  • Playing a track tagged with accented characters would cause Naim app to lose connection
  • Error when seeking playback during a gapless transition period
  • Long DSD tracks would not play all the way through

So yes, that last one should tackle some issues with lengthy DSD tracks.

Thanks - i’ve passed that back to the software and support teams, in case it comes up again for anyone else.

I just updated my Unitilite which isn’t in regular use. All went ok once I had realised that, as the instructions say, you have to connect the USB cable to the PC and switched-on product before starting the update program, or you don’t get to see the correct serial port in the drop down. It’s so long since I did one of these updates that I had forgotten that detail….

I will do my office SuperUniti next, but probably not until tomorrow. Then the other SU and my 272 after that…

2 Likes

It’s why we updated the guides, and have made such a big deal about people reading them before they update. It’s been more than two years since the last update… and what a two years for all of us!

2 Likes

Clare, the guide is excellent and links work for downloads etc. just that last few lines about factory reset could do with clarification.

Noted.

Yes. Like some others here, I have probably done firmware updates on 50 plus occasions what with multiple products and multiple betas. But the memory dims like a Naim green screen.

It’s a pity that one can’t pay £150 to get one’s memory updated in Salisbury like you can with a legacy green screen!

(Mind you I’m glad to see that my Unitilite screen is still bright and it’s the oldest of my Naim products, which was in regular use until about 18 months ago.)

3 Likes

I have just tried to update my NAC-N 272 to the latest firmware (4.8). I’m doing this with a Windows 10 PC connected to the mini-USB socket on the back of the machine. I followed the instructions carefully step by step and all was well until I executed the streamer updater program (NaimStreamerUpdater_4.8.0(14776.WE_EE_FE_EA)_Setup_Signed.exe).

The first issue was that I received a strong security warning to avoid running this software. I bypassed that and proceeded with the installation. After specifying English as my preferred language I then got the following message:

• This setup requires the .NET Framework v2.0. Please download and install the .NET Framework v2.0 and run this setup again. Do you want to download the framework now?

I clicked the Yes button and got a 404 - File or directory not found error page. This was not entirely surprising, as the .NET Framework v2.0 was released in 2002. Why is that a requirement for updating a product that was released in 2015? The .NET Framework was at v4.6 in 2015.

My PC already has .NET v4.7.2 and all versions of .NET usually support code written for earlier versions, but clearly not in this case.

1 Like

Someone else reported this and then ssid later that they had to go into their PC settings and turn on NET 2.0 as it was turned off. Then all was ok…

1 Like

Go to
Control Panel/ Programs and Features/Turn Windows features On or Off.

Enable Framework v2.0 from that list

A Google search had already identified that configuration option for Windows and my firmware update is now well under way. I still don’t understand why Naim retains a dependency on such ancient Microsoft software.

EDIT: Firmware 4.8 now successfully installed on my NAC-N 272

2 Likes

Flawless, both on my UQ2 and NDS… Both cases was going from the version 4.7.
Based on “expectation effect”, I am in no way free from, SQ is a bit better too… :grin:

1 Like

Instructions state that I need 10.15 Catalina as a minimum on a Mac, I run 10.14 Mojave and for several reasons do not wish to update this. Can I proceed using 10.14 Mojave or not, thanks for your help?

The instructions are instructions for a reason: we have tested them and they work.

Yes but that doesn’t mean you tested Mojave and it didn’t work, just that you haven’t tested it so can’t say whether or not it would work?

1 Like

Updated my 3 Qb 1st generation and my 272 with no problems at all. Great to have these updates for Tidal which I use every day. I plan to stay with Naim and update my main streaming platform when the new box(s) arrive at some point.

1 Like