Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

There are some other improvements and fixes: full release notes in morning, when the update goes live.

But the main element of the update is keeping TIDAL running for those that use it, to comply with TIDAL’s new login authorisation procedure.

Noticed the updates are there now.

• TIDAL login authorisation update. NB: Also requires Naim App 5.22 or 2.22 or later
  • HLS encoded stations other than BBC now play (eg. Rock On Radio).
  • General bug fixes.

To clarify, some support notes are live (we need live links so retailers can prep for launch) but NOT the firmware updates. That will be tomorrow.

People really need to read the full guidelines (in PDF form in PC and Mac editions) before they attempt the update. I cannot stress this enough

Need a USB-C to USB Mini B adapter for my Macbook to start with.

Edit.

1 Like

Worth noting that things are slightly different to updates that have gone before, which is why reading the instructions is so important.

I would hate people to go on ‘autopilot’ and end up bricking their unit.

Please let us wait until tomorrow and follow the official guidance when the update is live.

1 Like

Is the update worth it on a ND5XS used as digital transport mode only?
I have a room bridge and the ND5 just feeds my nDAC.

Well are you using Tidal? Or do you mean “Roon bridge”? :slight_smile: If it gets a Roon PCM feed, the Tidal login won’t matter of course.

And for list of fixes apart from that, maybe the official announcement tomorrow that Clare asked to wait for may have more info

Roon bridge (Sonore) so I have everything disabled except UPnP and iRadio and digital out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Probably best to wait for the proper announcement though. If the update is worth doing then I need to do it sooner rather than later as my display is paraphrasing Richard Thompson by “Dimming by the Day” :no_mouth:

1 Like

Stressful! Good luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

You don’t need the display to be working to do the update, but still better to get on with it I agree.
Best

David

1 Like

See here for the new Firmware update:

3 Likes

New firmware OK here, took 15 minutes to do.

I chose coffee rather than tea.

6 Likes

I’ll skip this one since it’s not affecting me and 4.7 works great. Don’t want to risk bricking it :see_no_evil:

If you’re already on 4.7, there’s little risk of any issues - it’s people running much older sofware versions that need to proceed with care. But if you don’t use TIDAL, and don’t care about the other enhancements, it’s obviously totally your call whether to update or not.

Do we have to do a factory reset? I think that means trying to find and save all the presets…

The update process does not involve the need for a reboot or Factory Reset, so you should be fine.

1 Like

Thanks Clare.
Update on NDX done, no issues. Took about 17 mins.
272 will have to wait for a bit.
Thanks to naim team for update.

Edit; 272 now done, all fine!
Worst part is carrying iMac to 272 and trying to locate Mini USB socket without a clear line of site!

1 Like

NDX, all done, no problems.
For peeps that have done this a lot before (e.g beta testers), do read the instructions, it’s a new installer & has some differences.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I know people probably think we’re being very dull saying PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU UPDATE, but there’s a reason for it :slight_smile:
Glad your install went well, as I’m sure the overwhelmingly majority will - especially if people follow the guide.

1 Like

I don’t have the required cable for my 272, so thought I’d download the updater until I can get one. Got this message…

I tried to download the “framework” whatever that is but I got an Error 404!

As I use Roon via Sonore Bridge and Qobuz anyway I guess it’s not essential I have the latest version, but I’d like it regardless.

Any suggestions?