Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

Fixed by logging out and back in via the Naim app.

1 Like

Yep damn it forgot to do that! Yep logging out and back in sorted it - DOH!! :rofl:

1 Like

I last updated from my Mac Mini, but as it no longer reaches the streamer, opted for the Windows update from my laptop. The NDS took noticeably longer to update than the 172XS as it was only on 4.6 and needed 3 updates, whereas the 172XS was already on 4.7 and just did 2. Happy to report no issues.

@YetiZone have right clicked while hovering over Naim update image? If you do this, then manually select ā€œopenā€ you will get the option to override the security notification.
Edit: see you got it fixed, note self-read whole thread!

1 Like

The NDS always takes longer than the 172 because there is a lot more firmware to update. Itā€™s not about the versions.

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks @nitrous - didnā€™t know about the right click override!

1 Like

@Naim.Marketing will maybe able to pass this good news back to Naim support so they know if someone else asks the question!

Best

David

2 Likes

Thanks Suedkiez,

Believe it or not, Iā€™m a beta tester so Iā€™ve done it many times although I suspect this may be my last unless I upgrade to a new streamer. I did brick my old NDX twice many years ago. It had the old Rs232 socket which was a complete nightmare.

Updated successfully

I see. The download link is in the instructions, so I wasnā€™t sure if youā€™d read them

1 Like

Clear instructions thanks.

NDS updated without any issues. Took about 20 minutes.

Iā€™m using a macbook pro connected by USB. Iā€™m at the update part and itā€™s been sitting for 10 minutes with 0 lines sent. I suspect itā€™s b/c I didnā€™t connect the macbook to my switch by ethernet and instead am on wifi. Iā€™ve now connected the macbook by ethernet to the same switch the 272 is plugged into. Will this correct itself or should I abort?

I rather doubt it will correct itself. Did you read the instructions about using a Mac? Presumably so since you got to the lines sent stage.

Iā€™d be inclined to start again personally. You canā€™t brick the 272 because it will always start an update, but if you canā€™t get your update to work you may need to ask for more help, for example from a dealer.

I aborted and restarted the updater. Had some issues with ARM/network address but has moved on and is uploading the firmware. Itā€™s about 20% complete now so hopefully it will work out.

All updated okay. Is it really necessary to restore factory settings after an update?

Not essential- keep it in mind if you have any issues, though

1 Like

Ok, no issues so far. I donā€™t recall what I lose when I do a factory reset. The display time is the only thing I can think of at the moment and thatā€™s easy enough to put back.

Went ahead and reset to factory default.

Brave man!

1 Like

Updated to 4.8, no issue so far. :partying_face:

Yes, that would be a bargain. Iā€™d happily drive to Salisbury and pay the Ā£150 for a new legacy green screen update if I could. Here in Sydney the quote is @ $800 for each screen update. (No word on how much for a memory update, or if there was, I forget.)

1 Like

I realise it wonā€™t help you in Australia, but in UK at least there is a green screen replacement service available from Naim and it was about Ā£150 plus the courier charge to get it to them when I last used it about 3 months ago. My dealer didnā€™t know about this by the way and rang Naim to check.

Best

David

1 Like