Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

That’s useful info David, my Superuniti screen has finally faded away, I wonder if when I send it back they would update to 4.8?

Yeah, my Uniti2 screen replacement in NZ was around $700 just a few months ago.

1 Like

I can confirm from personal experience that they do put the latest firmware on it when they change the screen!

1 Like

Excellent thanks David, I’ll get it packed up and off to a dealer……only the NDX to worry about now, that had a new screen a year or so ago!
Chris

I’m using a new macbook air with USB C only. I do have USB-A dongles for it to connect the correct cable for my 272. Is there an increased risk using dongle hell than a straight cable USB-C to mini USB-B you think? I assume it either works and starts or not. Nothing in between. I’m also thinking running computer on WIFI this time. Have very reliable WIFI here. Again since I don’t have ethernet ports on my mac. I have a dongle somewhere but dongles…

Just a warning. I ran the firmware update yesterday from a Windows 10 PC, with both it and the SuperUniti connected to the network via WiFi. Part way through, the update failed with Error 61 showing on the SuperUniti’s screen. I rang my Naim dealer who suggested connecting the PC and SU to the network via ethernet, then turning the SU off and on. The update hadn’t aborted so I was able to reenter the SU’s IP address, the update then ran successfully to the end. Huge relief!

1 Like

WiFi should be fine. And the dongle for your USB c should be fine too. Please do tell us how it goes though as we are all learning here!
Best

David

You first! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::wink:

My SU is on firmware 4.6. Can I jump to 4.8, or do I first have to install 4.7?
So have to do 2 installs….
Thanks!

You can go straight to 4.8 no problem.

2 Likes

Yep, as David sagely notes, it’s fine to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.8.

1 Like

I had no problem updating my NDS, apart from the already mentioned problem of Windows 10 flagging the update as potentially malicious software.

However, on my system at least, the bug regarding problems playing long DSD tracks has not been fixed :unamused:. Thus, the third movement of Mahler’s 4th Symphony, which should have a timing of 25:27, is shown in the Naim app as lasting 0:05 and that’s how much of the track plays before moving on to the next one.

The About page in the Naim app verifies that I have v5.22.1 of the app and firmware v4.8.

Has anyone else tested this aspect of the update?

I know it was tested by the Beta Test group.

Did you do a factory reset of your NDS as part of the update? I’d start there.

Otherwise i can loop you in with someone on the software team for further analysis.

Thanks for the super fast reply, Clare.

Just to confirm that would be Factory Settings / Reset All Settings?

That’s the one!

Did the factory reset. Still no joy, unfortunately.

OK, i’m looping in @tomvamos here, to see if we can replicate that issue in the App.

Thanks. Let me know if any further info is needed from my side.

This DSD is working fine on my NDS

Thanks for the feedback. However, I suspect that the recording that you have shown has probably played without problem all along, even before this firmware update.

The difference is the timing. My recording (San Francisco Orchestra with Michael Tilson-Thomas) has this track at 25:27, compared with 21:40 for yours. I have found that for the four movements from Mahler Symphonies where I have noted a problem the timing shown in the Naim app is always the actual track timing minus 25:22.

Hence this version of Mahler’s 4th, third movement, plays just five seconds. For my version of Mahler’s 3rd, first movement, the app plays for 9:24, whereas the actual length is 34:46. Ditto for the other two problem tracks, the first and fourth movements of Mahler’s 9th.

The problem, I think, is not timing per se, but file size, which is greater than 1 GB for each of these tracks.