Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

It’s a concrete effect finish, not actual concrete.

It says “concrete finish”, doesn’t have to be actual concrete

PR spin, but it does say concrete…

“ the Sopra N°2 loudspeaker was chosen to don a unique finish, with concrete on the side panels and “tin” colour on the front…”

It does say concrete, but it also does say finish

1 Like

French grammar……

Well the press release and web site also call the 250 a pre-amp, so maybe quality control really is slipping……

Errors on the website prove that it’s genuinely Naim! :wink:

5 Likes

Creating ‘new’ demand you can’t satisfy, over time, leads new customers to look elsewhere and severely irritates loyal customers. Not a great strategy.

I am not saying this is inevitable and only Naim know their component supply (i.e. manufacturing limitation) and product demand figures, to allow some kind of management of lead times.

3 Likes

I think the issue here is that it’s a strange thing to do, and results in an unbalanced system that cannot be balanced without introducing a box that doesn’t match. Moving on from that….

Oris watches last year made a Holstein edition of their iconic Big Crown Pointer Date, based on their new 403 in house movement and with a rather lovely grey dial. Only 250 were made and sold out pretty much straight away.

Later in the year they introduced the 403 based watch into the main collection, with a navy blue dial.

We all know that the new 272 is coming and let’s run with the idea of it being in Uniti styling. What would have been really quite exciting was to bring out a limited new 272 and matching power amp in tin finish - just like Oris’s grey - with a matching pair of Focal speakers.

That would be a great foretaste of the new design style and could be later followed by a full range style revamp, if that’s what’s planned.

The Anniversary edition as it stands is just an unbalanced cosmetic retread and wholly lacking in ambition. I find that a shame, when it could have been so much better. I’m not sure that’s me being a grumpy old man, rather a sense of disappointment that Focal and Naim could have done something so much better. As I suggested above, a Tin Nova HE and active Focal speakers with Naim amps was another option.

6 Likes

Thanks for you extensive reply @anon4489532 I can agree with you, what pops up in my mind is that Naim is also struggling with a change to a style revamp … introduction of a 272-2 and matching power amp in a new ‘Solstice/ Uniti’ style but this anniversary did not fit the time schedule hence a plan ‘B’

Yes, it all feels somewhat lazy - basically the same boxes in a different finish, It’s not showing any innovation or advances in technology or styling and sits outside the rest of the range. Somewhat pointless in many ways.

3 Likes

In some ways i regret what i bought in 2004. I think Naim have been slowly going downhill and lost the plot after the chrome bumper series and i don’t think I’m alone in thinking that. My humble opinion of course. That said i do enjoy what i bought in 2004 but would i pay that amount of money again and the answer is no. This was €7000 cheaper than the platinum anniversary series by the way…

1 Like

Just a few thoughts. Could Naim have agreed to this edition to test out the market for alternative finishes to products? Whilst it seems unpopular with forum users, it might be more popular with new customers? Many high-end car makers offer customisable finishes, maybe this is something Naim and Focal are considering for their products and this is a tester for this?

HH’s point about there not being a matching powersupply for the NDX2 is very valid and I wonder if it will be made available as a special order in the fullness of time?

Olive?

Or black and chrome?

2 Likes

I’d have to say that I quite like the look but it is clearly not to everyone’s taste. However….
I do feel for the dealers who have loyal customers waiting for black boxes ordered long ago and it clearly doesn’t fit well with the upgradability model. Seems odd to make this system when supply chain problems are affecting many customers so badly.
In different times it may have been an interesting distraction and would certainly refresh the range for potential customers looking to integrate a good separates system into a modern environment. For the record, I’d probably still stay with black though.

There isn’t one anymore. Or much uk based marketing team. Angie left, Clare left, Simon Matthews the designer left …… it’s now all coming from St Etienne.

My guess is whoever they hire or outsource will completely revamp the classic range boxes at some point.

5 Likes

I realise that….I was just being silly and having a bit of fun.

As I said earlier, I suspect the tin thing was an overseas decision.

2 Likes

I’ve been in the odd conf call with a video link to France HQ. It’s not so far removed from reality.

1 Like

Tin is the new chrome :rofl:

1 Like