Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Hartmut still designing HiFi, Richard…

2 Likes

Thought so because that was the info in the announcement that I quoted a few posts down from that post

And they look really crass, too.

I have a chrome Leica M4 from the late sixties and a black Leica M240P from around 2012… so not even a red dot on my Leica’s…

Those of us who actually use our cameras just shudder and move on when a collector version appears. It’s just embarrassing…

They aren’t bought by photographers… and Leica know it too.

3 Likes

I was surprised at how much better it looks on the video.

8 Likes

Exactly the same in this household, my better half said she loves the grey finish, I’m more the black knobs etc could have been worked on a bit but could get used to it.

However don’t think it has the long term ageless quality of CB/Olive or even standard finish.

Back in the day on my Densen gear due to a shipping error I received silver buttoned CD player when my amps were original gold knobs.

Decided I preferred the silver and dealer at the time ordered me some silver fittings for the amps but also presented me back all the gold pieces boxed up for down the line and evidently because 24k plated.

Think the silver and black aged better than gold but if a DM10 came up in mint condition would snap it up.

I quite like the silver finish, I would definitely prefer it if no for the knobs. As it is I’m on the fence.

The finish must have been very expensive though as it appears they only had about 30p left to make a video featuring it.

4 Likes

I confess I quite like the grey electronics.

For the speakers, though, you can dress up a turd however you like, it’ll still look like a turd

4 Likes

I think the grey version looks nice, but I still wish something new such as the replacement of 272

Agree. Have had a 250DR on order for nearly 3 months now. What are they doing? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Wot, no concrete/tin Fraim to match?
Shurely shome mishtake?

1 Like

Agreed. They have lost their way. Shame. Another British brand gone.

Hyperbole much?

2 Likes

Not an opinion I share. The olive NAC 52 is far better than any of the chrome bumper preamps and, IIRC, the olive power amps were just the same as their chrome bumper predecessors but with new casework.

I can’t comment on any of the later series equipment because I haven’t heard it.

1 Like

Maybe that’s what’s selling?

Anyway I’d love to see a secondary speaker to create true stereo with Muso 2

Is the new finish limited to the components in the video/photo,or can you get an ND5XS2 in the “tin”?

The grey, for me, accentuates/exacerbates the revoltingness of the green light in the logo. I know many like it and it has become part of the brand over the years, but even on the black boxes it looks dated and out of place IMHO. On these grey ones it is just plain weird and an opportunity missed to switch to white light.

2 Likes

I think you might be touching upon a very real (and I’m dead serious for a change), demand to cater for different tastes. Many brands offer two case colours, which I think is extremely sensible for reducing purchasing friction when domestic harmony is concerned. But the colour of the lights too can be very add odds with a person’s aesthetic taste or room. Snap on LED filters would not be just silly gimmick for stupid people out to pimp their hifi. It would genuinely aid room integration. I hate white. You like it. Maybe a system in the boudoir would be better in grey with pink lights. The dark oak lounge system in black with red etc. Stick a pack of 10 assorted snap on Naim logos in every box.

Honestly, it seems like low hanging fruit with minimum design impact to reduce sales friction.

2 Likes

359 replies in 1 day after this thread was created. Impressive.

I didn’t manage to read all the posts here but it appears that Naim (or Focal) has chosen the 282, 250DR and Hicap DR for this particular set up, which is the exact amps that I have. If there are no changes to the internal circuitry of the amps (apart from the fancy case), this may suggest that the 282/250DR/Hicap DR are good enough for the Sopra N2 or other good speakers as the system is labelled as “high-end products” with a set of Superlumina speaker cable thrown in.

Not sure about the special finish for the cases though…

Of the many combinations Naim offers the 282 must be the most complex and bewildering for a neophyte:

• Two power supplies
  • Dated labels (cd, tape or aux1 for one’s streamer)
  • Inconsistent box sizes

An NDX2/252/SC/250 combo would look smarter and be relatively easier to configure. Perhaps Naim has a surplus of 282 etc parts to offload or is looking to trim it out of the classic line up.

It seems the rack is not included - the poor soul will find themselves with five boxes of different sizes to arrange. Heavens, they might sit the napsc on top of the 282.

5 Likes