Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

I agree about the 3D naimaudio logo - was a beautiful thing.

1 Like

No lower point in my mind than the awkward ā€œFocal powered by Naimā€ on the photos above - how wrong on so many levels? A sad predicament? The ultimate accessory?! Is it me? Hope I am wrong.

Allowing myself this one only comment here - only because I feel sad for the genuine true Naim folk in Salisbury and in sincere hope that somehow such comments might reassure them that they are not alone, as well as help the great Naim brand, hopefully, somewhere down the line.

2 Likes

The Naim Olive series is beautiful. I loved my Olive HiCaps, CDS2 with XPS. And now I only have an Olive 82. The CBs 135s I have are gorgeous. Black boxes look good too. I like them all which is why I have a mixture of the lot.

The Olive logo is very special in green lights.

Having a streamer I will not end up with all Olive system, although I think it looks amazing. Got a Nait 3 as well for my sonā€™s games/hifi room.

Times change and the black boxes will change too at some point.

Whatever next?

1 Like

According to Naim my 135s were born in 1984. Which somehow is 38 years ago.

Interesting how there are so many opinions.

If the forum had existed in ?1990 when the Olive look debuted, Iā€™d have been on here throwing my toys out of the cot. I think Olive was by far Naimā€™s worst fascia design and probably wouldnā€™t have been tempted to start my Naim journey ten years ago if theyā€™d still had it.

CB - love it.
Current black - great.
Olive - :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had CB, Olive and currently use the Classic range my preferences are Classic followed by CB then Olive.

Mind you I didnā€™t buy my Naim kit for the way it looks but whichever series you prefer it all sounds rather good.

2 Likes

So, tell us how you feel about about grey tin? :laughing:

1 Like

Even if this is a smart way of putting it white on black which boxes you should buy together (some will continue to ask questions, nevertheless :slight_smile:)ā€¦ I do not like where the things are going. Naim cannot afford Snaxo outside of UK, because it is niche, but Naim clearly can afford this thingā€¦ for a few people with an image of celebration in negative.

1 Like

CB - Love it. Sooooo Timeless and classy.
Olive - As a teenager I saw and lusted over the simple clean lines when so much was button and curve overkill. I wanted Naim without even hearing it!
Classic - Absolute perfection imo. Take away the power buttons on the front like the NAP300 :drooling_face::drooling_face:
Perspex/Brushed - Its nice and I like it but probably my least favourite so far.

1 Like

It really is personal taste isntā€™t it? For meā€¦

Best - brush black with white light logo (my Core is beautiful)
2nd - Olive
3rd - Classic
Last - CB

470+ replies to this thread in 3 daysā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.I cannot wait for May :blush:

Im waiting for the real anniversary next year. No gold stuff please though.

Euhh, May? You mean High End Munich 2022?

1 Like

Ermā€¦
:neutral_face:

Though I do like the idea of keeping the current styling but having a choice of case and LED colour combinations. I think Iā€™d go forā€¦ royal blue casing with red LEDs.

If someone fancies Photoshopping a mock-up image of what thatā€™d look like, Iā€™ll be very happy!

Mark

1 Like

I suck at this. Donā€™t let my feeble attempt spoil your fun

tin

4 Likes

It was a hard sell in the 90s too. So many customers said olive gear ā€œlooked like it had been knocked up in a garageā€. It certainly disnā€™t have the elegance classic does. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The really is arguing about taste, isnā€™t it?

Itā€™s an Internet forum - what else are we here for??

2 Likes

I remember late 90ā€™ies when the new Nait 5 was released.

A few years later some forums was born and a massive discussion began Olive vs new Black boxes.
Nearly overnight the range became black, 102 to 202, 82 to 282 and so on.

I didnā€™t like the black boxes then
Now they have grown on me and my remaining Olive is boxed away while I enjoy my separates and Unitis.

Thatā€™s the best photo showing the limited editions. I think the finish looks pretty good on both Naim and Focal speakers. Nevertheless, the Classic black finish still looks better than this to me. Personally, to me the Classic amps look most elegant with its minimalistic design and a combination of glossy and matt finish on the front faceplate. The rest look less elegant with matt finish. Just my opinion.

As for Focal, the finish may look good but the shape doesnā€™t look good, specifically the Sopra 2. Sorry. In the Focal range, the Utopia series particularly the Stella Utopia EM Evo look great, but too costly and out of reach. No idea how it all sounds like though.

1 Like