Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Sorry HH I did not go to public school hence I don’t know what the Latin is for “unnecessary sarky comments” or even “ having a pop at individuals rather than keep to the subject” I will no doubt have to look them up.

My experience is that there are many wonderful people who were privileged to go to a public school. Perhaps they did not have the choice when children themselves. Coming from an “old fashioned” deprived background myself even I know it’s not what school you went to but how you behave.

7 Likes

Will abbreviate some of this…

10TH ANNIVERSARY LIVERY

If anything, this limited edition 50 tenth anniversary sets of tin-grey - are a rather diluted departure for Naim. I’m sorry to offend anyone for saying this. Hardly a 10th Anniversary commemoration with some serious thinking put into it. Fresh take for certain; somehow the feel isn’t befitting of a 10th Anniversary system. They could do much better.

Anything introduced by Naim the past five decades has always been carefully measured, and only released in keeping with their track record so far. This sand-grey if you will, seems… “freshly muted” but in a more adverse sort of way. No gravitas. Different is not necessarily always good, or better. A little dull. Forgettable, I’m afraid. If placed next to the classic blacks, they stand out for sure, but I’m not certain for the right reasons. They tried to match the finish for both components and the speakers as I understand it, a commendable effort, and while the tin-concrete finish of the Focal speakers do look nice, great on them, the components unfortunately did not get that appreciable uplift in this limited edition set to really commemorate something special in “yes, I’m gonna grab this, wow” manner. It has nothing to do with bling, but everything to do with styling and colour cues from an impeccable taste.

I trust these 50 sets will be sold out anyway, and I’m happy for Naim to be able to sell out - it’s all that matters perhaps.

Where is Naim headed for the future with this aesthetic introduction and dilution of sorts without some serious thought?

THAT BALANCE

If present customers are not getting their orders or repairs on time, with huge delays, introducing this limited edition set at this time seems out of place and just inflames how they already feel.

**LINEAGE **

As for blues, and oranges and the like being mooted by some friends here for Naim components, the taste of the new Design Director - and the present visual design team - and management, comes deeply into play.

Naim for me, is quintessentially British, and its essence, aesthetics and feel need to be preserved and adjusted very carefully if need be, so it does not alienate the present audience and at the same time will build a new audience base.

COLOUR FLAVOURS

I love orange, as I do a myriad of other colours, but can’t fathom orange-coloured or bright blue Naim extruded aluminium cases just to “invigorate the look”. Focal speakers are French and do look great and flamboyant in an assortment of colours as a sister company, but on Naim? It’s possible, just not quite aligned to the establishment it represents for its audience thus far. I’m all for improvement, just sensitively and carefully in natural progression and evolution. Radical departures are both enviable for innovation but also calculated risk pegged to market perceptions.

There is a theme, a history, and a respect for all things that are Naim built over the past 5 decades. I hope the company will continue to be quintessentially British as it continues to innovate.

Please don’t kill what is classic with just any colour alteration or “flamboyant take” for the sake of things.

I love and respect Naim and its staff too much, to see it diluted in any manner. I write this, despite my discomfort in sticking my neck out, with my heart’s hope that Naim continue to gradually find their way forward, in their British vein as they have been, regardless of their new management.

Stick to your roots, and what you stand for, while innovating as a business.
Most of us here I believe will support this.

Naim’s staff must be supported for their morale, to be at their best in manufacture. Reliability is a cornerstone of all Naim equipment so I was perturbed in hearing these stories of discrepancies which must be addressed concretely so that customer confidence is upheld. Slow things down some, and review all processes internally for repair and manufacture, and ensure QC is spot on with enough time accorded to get the work done. Slow down the rush! Apologise to customers immediately, communicate continually with them in a professional, neutral, prompt manner, and under-promise but over-deliver.

It’s one thing to expand the product range with other liveries, but another to fulfill present orders and repairs so that there are no more delays or discrepancies with QC issues. What are the new management’s priorities and how will these support Naim staff? As a long time customer, I do wonder because what I am hearing and learning are challenges that need to be addressed quickly before it spirals out of control.

None of my business but I wish Naim only well.

Pardon me, friends, if this didn’t come through correctly but these are my present sentiments after three decades in knowing Naim and reading the feedback shared here on this thread.

7 Likes

I do still use Naim equipment. I like the brand and know that it is still some of the best equipment available. I used the word awful because rather than upgrade from a fabulous chrome bumper Nait the choice was a drab front with a distinctly different colour - not to my own, or others tastes. Naim has never sounded awful, or been made poorly and has always been held in high regard. If we all liked the same things, life would be far less interesting.

1 Like

What a thoughtful response Phil and you clearly love the Naim brand.

I don’t think we should get too hung up on the 10th anniversary tin edition as it is only 50 sets and aimed at an emerging market. Although not too many of our tastes on here, I don’t feel the new 10th anniversary edition signposts a new aesthetic direction for Naim.

I agree that Naim will need to think very carefully about the eventual aesthetic design for the eventual replacement of the Classic and 500 series black boxes. I certainly trust Naim to retain their heritage and project their core principles in any future designs.

Naim will however need to move on with designs to attract new/emerging customer segments. Naim simply cannot afford to pander to the wants of an ageing, traditionalist customer such as myself. The future lies in satisfying the needs and wants of our sons and daughters and eventually their children. It should however be possible to move forward with a design philosophy that both attracts new customers but does not alienate existing ones.

Naim have already made huge strides in this quest through the introduction of the Mu-So and new Uniti product lines. This of course leaves the Classic and 500 series with the older black box styling. These product ranges may of course remain unchanged for some years to come. I feel however that a change in aesthetic design of these product lines is inevitable at some point, which may be combined with new/updated electronics.

Naim have shown with Statement that they are not afraid to take a new design direction with their higher end kit. Indeed Statement embraces design cues from Mu-So and the new Uniti ranges with Perspex blocks and white logo lighting. So will we see these design cues in the new Classic and 500 ranges, or will these ranges themselves be revamped? Will we see fewer boxes and more integration which might be better received by a newer, younger customer, who is simply not prepared to put up with the spaghetti behind the rack and the faff of cable dressing?

Customer needs and wants are changing and I trust Naim will develop their products and services to meet, or even lead, those changes.

7 Likes

Gold, Nigel… exactly on the nail. Thank you - great feedback.

I just hope they don’t shake things up the wrong way where things regress instead of progress. We all would like a building on their strengths.

1 Like

I’m sure @PeakMan , who seems to be a thoroughly decent cove, didn’t mean to exclude anyone. I spent years working with people who used Latin phrases in meetings to try to make themselves seem oh so clever but simply looked foolish. You see it in public life all too often. Good communication is about making sure one is understood and does mean using plain English, which is not the same as being simplistic. I’m sure no exclusivity was meant, it just seems a curious thing to do.

1 Like

I have no problem with you saying Olive stuff looks awful. I like it, despite the slight air of being knocked up in a garage. As you say, it’s just personal taste, and as we all know… de gustibus, non est disputandum.

To me, a few Naim products look awful; Solstice and the Tin Edition to name two. Who cares who thinks what looks awful, and I certainly don’t think we need to praise things just because they are made by Naim.

2 Likes

HH… lol… I’m going to be “awful” to you now for saying “awful” things about the Tin edition being awful, because no one cares who thinks what looks awful or doesn’t… but I am certain no one is praising all things Naim when they are indeed awful, not on this awfully candid Forum anyway.

I prefer to accord Naim and friends here, some audio affinity… despite my awfully long rants from time to time. I do respect your “as is” candidness in any case, as I do the rest of most of our friends here.

Billy… thank you for your reply which I appreciate.

1 Like

I would think the future finish for the Classic line replacement has already been decided by Naim. This could be the finish that was used for the Solstice. It would make sense from a commercial point of view, in cutting down the long term available finishes and styles. Please give Naim some credit, these commercial decisions are usually made way in advance of a product range release date, not some meeting 3 months prior to the release. imho :grinning:

1 Like

Nice, in this vein. Like the Statement. Just not grey tin.

Uniti and Solstice style looks the way forward if you ask me …

1 Like

You can see the main design cue’s, which are in both the Uniti and Solstice. If you look at other branded products, they usually keep one or two design features across all the different ranges they produce. Expect the next major Naim product release, to reflect this. imho :blush:

1 Like

Sadly it does. That big slab on easily scratched plastic seems a really bad idea to me. Awful in fact. What’s wrong with metal? At least it’s recyclable.

I would wonder indeed how a standard 5 series slim line size fascia looks like on the Solstice.

No I love it, it’s an opportunity to learn something

1 Like

I must admit that I’ve never seen these in real life, but I kind of like the Solstice power supply and phono preamp … no idea if the front panel is made of plastic or metal …

That is fortunate, that you like the design style of the Solstice power supply and phono preamp :+1:

Quotidie, a schola diem est.

3 Likes

I am much obliged. Another gem to test my memory on future occasions. And pleased you have seen the error of your ways by replying in Latin.

2 Likes

I wonder how this plastic on Unitis or Statement resists to time. Is it looking the same after several years ?