Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

They did. Ovators - and they weren’t exactly an unqualified success!

I wondered this advice had got to (@Filipe had pointed me to it but I had lost it).
My LH stack, from bottom to top, is 2x135, Snaxo, NAT01, NDS then 52. The RH stack is 2x135, 2x Supercap, 555ps, NAT01 ps.

Questions.

1. Should the 52 be above the NDS?
  2. If so would medium legs go into the NDS shelf?
  3. Would medium legs be inserted into both RH and LH stacks where the uppermost 135s sit?
  4. Would the Snaxo benefit from medium legs in its shelf?

Of course, I’m trying to circumvent a lot a trial and error before finding a dealer to lend/buy from. And I can’t fathom out what to do except for making space above the 135s.

Apologies to Phil for not taking notes when he looked at my system. Attached is a photo of the LH stack if my description above confuses folk.

1 Like

Hi Steve, I’d also consider the ordering of the PS plugs. Can’t remember how your mains supply works other than you have one dedicated radial at least and separate CU with new earth. Pug order starting with poweramps, pre, sources. Not super about the SNAXO, but probably between power and pre. Mains block maybe .

Phil

2 Likes

That is a try it and see which you prefer test - I generally prefer the Source in its own space and nost nested into a rack as it opens-up the sound as I hear it. But the Pre also likes its space - usualy you achieve this with medium levels and try both options.

Medium levels are great for Source and Pre boxes and remove congestion in the presentation I find.

It all depends on how much space and money you have - the Power Amp like to breath if possible from each other in an Active system - and be apart from the other boxes and they are a lot busier and noisier than the other boxes.

Yes - or even Tall level, but only if it is at or near the top of Fraim as the Tall level is great with the small box items but does not like a lot of stacking of other heavy boxes atop it I found.

I home-demoed changing my Tall Fraim under my Snaxo to a Medium (it would look better and lower the Fraim stack height which in general is a good thing) with my Dealer present - and we looked at each other and he said ‘that is not an upgrade - it’s worse’ so I kept the tall level under Snaxo as it was an easier more open bass in my system.

A lot of testing I did with my system was to voice it to my taste as I don’t like an over-heavy presentation and having the extra space really helped.

DB.

3 Likes

I’ve got a similar system to you with Nac 82, NDS, Supercap 2 and 2 x 135s.

I’ve bought some more Fraim shelves and my set up for Brain stack will be:

Nac 82 on Fraimlite standard height with glass
Phonostage on Fraim standard height
NDS on Fraim medium height
CD ripper (ZoneRipper) on Fraim standard height

Brawn stack: ( all standard heights)

Linn Lingo on Fraimlite on granite base
135 CB on Fraim
135 CB on Fraim
CHC 555 PS on Fraim
Supercap 2 on Fraim

So allowing some more head space for the NDS and keeping 82 at the top.

1 Like

Just a thought, given the height and nature of your system would you consider a third stack with just your 135s on them? Would lower the height, increase stability and look at some medium shelves for the NDS and maybe other components. I have 9 boxes and recently sold CDS2 and XPS and was considering 3rd stack if I was to keep them. If I had 4 135s I would put them on separate Fraim base and have a third stack.

1 Like

I think all but the 555 ps are on a hydra.
It’s not something I really want to mess with in terms of upgrades as it would mean betting the sparks back. But I’ll look at increasing the height of the shelves once I’ve sorted out where to start.

Now you’ve opened a can of worms.
This would pave the way for a TT.

Some of my CDs are stacked / shelved to the left of the Fraims.
I moved them a couple of months ago to clean the Fraims and had the same thought. So don’t get me going again. :notes:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response DB. It’s given me a lot to think about.

For me 6 Fraim shelves seems a little too high. 3 stacks of 4 would look so sweet! Sorry to give you my view but those 4 x 135s on single stack would look so damned fine! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I only suggested it because for me it was free and a very effective way of getting the boxes working together. The hydra might work well for the 4 135s though, but maybe the lower frequencies need something different to the higher ones because they draw different amounts of charge and this affects how long they switch on for. The entire set of power supplies interact according to their charge requirement and this needs to be optimised. The non power amp PSs tend to have a volume independent charge requirement.

Well you could try a block without needing the sparky. Do you have the individual leads that came with the boxes or PowerLines?

If you want to come and listen please let me know. It would be good to catch up.

Phil

1 Like

It clearly depends on one’s FRAME of mind… The golden ratio of Leonardo Pisano Fibonacci (1170-1250) dictates that the cost of a FRAIM should not exceed 0.382 of the total value of the gear it supports. Otherwise, the end result will be a severely imbalanced music system.

4 Likes

Indeed.
I have the original cables somewhere …
Once the rugby is over I can begin thinking about other things so it would be good to catch up Phil.

Anyone elso notice that the naim racks alloy supports resonant if you happen to be next to them talking? I noticed they did when i was over at hifi lounge’s naim demo room.
Quite strange we both thought

A talking hifi rack is strange indeed.

1 Like

Is the FraimLite at all worthy of consideration, particularly if budget doesn’t stretch to the full Fraim?

KR, J

2 Likes

I would fully agree with you if a hifi rack would cost a “reasonable” amount of money… :grin:

Just moved from Quadraspire basic rack to Fraim on half my set up … agreeing with exactly what is written above! Fantastic.

1 Like

Has anyone seen these on fleabay or have any experience of them? Quite a few varying designs all from same place. Also another idea to have glass shelves for to put on current tv unit.

another idea was thinking about getting 4 glass shelves for it. As shown here.

Or possibly go for a ex demo Fraim if I can find one… like the dark wood and silve but can’t for the life of me figure out which colour is which on any of the sites :rofl: ash, maple, black ash, cherry (finished, not finished). So confusing.

Any advice welcome. Is glass enough decoupling or are the shelves decoupling essential… is it better to buy official naim? Other guys craftsmanship looks pretty good…

1 Like

I’d suggest that for the price of your SL interconnect an ex demo or used Fraim would have given you far more. The shelf with the SN in particular will always be a huge compromise as it sits on four little pins. You can bodge your current shelving unit or you can do it properly. I paid £1,250 for my base and four shelves of Fraim, bought off Pink Fish. I don’t know about the stand in your picture but Isoblue, Hutter and Quadraspire SVT are all very good - I’ve owned them all! But Fraim is a big step up from all of them.

3 Likes