Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Blocky natural grain wood is relatively inoffensive, but nothing more, to me. But our tastes (I’ve shown pics of our room) are definitely not everyone’s either!

That looks great but smoked glass would knock it up a few notches more. Is it modular?

2 Likes

I hope it is really worth it !!! Just ordered a four standard and base level, full fat Fraim.

Hungry Halibut - I trust are as right about this as you was with the 272.

2 Likes

Good man. That’s the spirit. The proper thing. Not some cheap knock off. I do hope you think it’s worth it!!

2 Likes

Follow the instructions on the FAQ and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Well done, i was surprised at how it brings everything together musically, very nicely.:+1:

HH - no it is real McCoy, as my bank account will reflect - lol - you only live once. I think yours is ash and silver uprights, where mine will be ash and black uprights. Please do not tell me silver sounds better than black :grinning:

Richard - thank you very much for the tip.

1 Like

Thank you, I know you have changed your system recently, however we both had or have Nova, 300 DR and Twenty5 26.

1 Like

Mine is maple, to match my speakers.

Yes, I stand corrected. I remember now, because your SL2’s really stand our in that maple finish :heart:

1 Like

Would a full fat frame be applicable for my system or not really worth it and a Fraim lite be more appropriate?

NDX2
Super lumina IC
Supernait2
All powerlines
Hicap
DR
Totem Sky towers
NACA5

Cheers All

1 Like

That’s what I went for and I think it looks great.

14 Likes

Your system is completely worthy of Fraim. A very worthwhile upgrade all round.

In fact I think 5 series is worthy of Fraim too, but the cost balance probably favours something a bit more affordable.

Cheers Richard.

My predicament is currently my system just sits on a shelf next to my chimney breast so no de coupling at all.
The only benefits are all cables hang free without touching one another or a wall or floor.

My concerns with a Fraim are being only 3 levels it will look a little odd being so low and in turn cables touching the floor and dressing we be an issue.
I am reluctant to buy more Fraim levels just for aesthetics due to cost.

You could use intermediate or extended legs for one or more of the levels. A base and either 3 standard or 2 intermediate levels (both same height overall) is pretty much my own ideal, height wise, and how I have mine configured, albeit spread over 3 stacks. When a rack gets too high you start to lose some benefit as the centre of gravity is raised. So keeping racks low is a good thing.

1 Like

You could have a spare level for the XPS DR :+1:

1 Like

Oh, that seems risky. I had speakers in a cherry finish and upgraded to ones in piano black.

I bought my Fraim in black/black to match the Naim components. No matter what I do to speakers, room, furnishings, etc. black/black will never clash. I also avoided cherry because that finish has not been consistent over the years, as I recall. And with a six box double stack I think black/black looks pretty bad-ass too. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What do you mean exactly? I have my eye on a second-hand 4-level Fraim - just over £1000, cherry - and I will need another level: is the finish likely to be different? Thanks for the reply.

Cherry wood darkens with age, especially if it’s in bright light. Some wood finishes have UV filters which can reduce this darkening considerably, and I suspect that Naim use such a finish on Fraim, but I couldn’t say for sure. Other woods, such as ash and maple, do not darken in this way, so might be more consistent over time.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a discussion in the old forums about the cherry finish and how there were lighter and darker variants coming from Naim?

At the time I had cherry speakers and other furniture, and was thinking about looking for used cherry Fraim. That’s when I decided ash or black ash is a better choice.

Look here. Some discussion and pictures: Full Fat Fraim - in Maple (a moaning post)

I’m into it for 2 bases, 5 levels, and 2 Fraimlite levels. I’m just glad I chose black ash. It’s the safest, IMO, and looks great everywhere.