Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

It is what I did last year after 11 years of having Isoblue. 6 shelves of Fraim plus one Fraim Lite at the top for my deck. If I had to summarise the change it was that sparkle and life was breathed into the music - also small details, like an intake of breath by a singer, became clearer and this added greatly to musical enjoyment. Very happy. Wish I’d done it sooner. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I beg to differ, I’ve purchased a Lite and added glass and it’s made a big difference. While I’m sure it’s not as dramatic as a fully fat it certainly does improve things.

2 Likes

Isoblue is very good and I wouldn’t bother to swap to Fraim Lite.

I’m considering an Isoblue wall shelf for the Linn.
Shame Naim don’t do one. Wonder what a Fraim wallshelf would look like (in terms of aesthetics/style)?

My SolidSteel WS-5 wall shelf is aesthetically a pretty good match.

5 Likes

Looks lovely JDP, but mrs bee is not happy with black metalwork - that’s why my Sound Organisation wallshelf is up in the loft.

But…she likes the cherry Fraim with black uprights. Luckily!

1 Like

Many people on here and in the UK use the Tiger Paw Vulkan wall shelf. It’s certainly the one I’d choose if I had a solid wall behind where the LP12 sits (currently on top of Fraim).

Is the top shelf ok for your tt with cut out section?

Yes absolutely fine

1 Like

This thread has calmed down somewhat, which is a good thing.
I am certain that what gets most beef against value for money with punters, is that the Fraim is deceptively simple looking.
Some MDF, glass, balls.
I’m pretty certain as well that some would be shocked if Naim was to disclose the cost of the parts they buy in or make themeselves for it.

3 Likes

After using various other racks and DIY solutions for a number of years, I decided to try out some used full fat Fraim levels and a base. The sound improvement entirely justified the cost. DIY solutions might come close, but I am completely happy with good, used, original full fat Fraim racks which just work.

I now have two Naim systems and a third system consisting of Rega and AV components sitting on three Fraim racks. In total, I spent just less than EUR 4000 on three base units, seven standard levels, one extended level and nine Naim chips for the three stacks over the course of a year.

I wish I had decided in favour of full fat Fraim earlier and I will not hesitate to add more levels when they turn up at a reasonable price on the used market.

If I ever feel the need to downsize (which I cannot imagine today), I am confident that I will recover the cost in full.

David

2 Likes

After nearly a week with a demo Fraim from my friendly dealer, I can clearly say that the Fraim is worth it. Well, at least if you like the Naim house sound. Unfortunately for me two Naim components seem to be the limit. My SN2, phono stage and turntable PSU on the Fraim is nice. The SN2 and Naim DAC are just a little too frantic and lacking in body and color for my taste. My current beech plywood and stainless steel rack, based on a design by Will Bauer, offers less resolution and drive, but it it doesn’t diminish the weight of a grand piano or the voice of Johnny Cash. Too bad, as my dealer has a second hand cherry/silver Fraim in perfect condition with the original boxes for little more than a third of the price for sale.

How can you let me know who your dealer is without falling foul of forum rules ?! :wink:

He is in Germany, which might be a problem if you aren’t…

hahaha, thanks anyway ! For the thread, I picked up three full fraim levels second hand and the improvement over Quadraspire was easily worth every penny, no resentment over the price I paid for them whatsoever - I want more for the power boxes now too.

I cannot see any Fraim elements offered by the usual suspects in Germany. Could you name the town or city where he is located?

Thanks in advance, David

Hi David,

funny thing, I was talking to the owner when I got the notification about your post. Try googling hsga in Bielefeld.

Hi Mulberry,

Many thanks for that tip. I found the site and their online shop. Consequently, I will soon receive a few levels that I can actually justify and another base that I don’t really need at the moment. But hey, who knows where a fourth Fraim rack might come in useful.

The trick will be to combine the new levels with an existing rack in such a way that my other half will either not notice (hope lives eternal) or, if I am lucky, will appreciate as a real improvement. If all else fails, I will point out the improved cable arrangement and reduced snake’s nest behind one of the racks will make easier to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

David

Hi David,
glad I could help. I feel much better now, thinking about the numerous cups of excellent coffee I had in the shop. The latest one this morning…

My first real Hi-Fi purchase was a NAD 3020 in their old shop quite a few years ago. I remember ogling the huge Levinson 20 and Bartolomeo amps on display, the funny but somehow cure looking early Meridians and some chrome bumper Naims.

Another D. :grinning:

Just find a dealer willing to do a deal. I did. Incredible price and upgrade.