Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

I would like to make a shelf in my Fraim that holds the Naim Core, Power Supplies, Cisco and eR. This would mean putting the Naim Core on its side. Are there any issues rotating the Core so the slot is vertical? I would add some rubber bumpers to the side.

Also posted on a Core thread. More action here.

I am a glazier, 10 mm smoked toughened glass with polished edges is about ÂŁ70 sq metre

1 Like

Just built my 5 level Fraim. Phew!
Initial impressions as to whether it’s worth it?

O yes.

Only a few tunes in but everything is more listenable, solid and just plain easier to follow.

And…seems to have taken some hardness/‘glare’ out, so high volumes are just nicer.
And my hummy SuperCap DR transformer is less…hummy

Liking Fraim a lot!
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

hi there
I am picking up a used Fraim 6 Tier today and was wondering what way to set it up.
I have a 252 with a Supercap non DR and a 300DR and Power Supply.
I Also have a Technics 1200G deck and Rega Isis CD Player which may stay on a separate Shelf
Many thanks
Cheers
Steve

Steve my Fraim is set up LP12/252/NDX/300AMP/300PSU/SC

that way the SC is as far as as possible, moreover the Burndy hangs very well from 252 in a loop

my HCDR for pre fix as with you on by the side on seperate shelf

The result of yesterday’s exercise. Sounding great, but glad to get it over with. Tiring!

The only things I’m wondering is whether to try the SN3 on top, and the SuperLine and Headline below; and the placement of the HL next to SL. May move the SL to the right…

(I put the SL on top to aid Burndy hang - still working on that - and to maximise distance from the SCDR at the bottom)

Any advice willingly considered by this novitiate Fraimee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do your headphones sound better from the Headline? How does the headphone amp from the SN3 compare?

The Headline has a lot more power (mine is powered by HiCap DR, but don’t know how much is due to a good PS) drives both Audeze effortlessly… haven’t had much time to directly compare. Greater sense of headroom I guess. Bass seems enhanced and very initial listening seems to bring a ‘solidity’ to the sound (sorry, I’m not much cop at describing sound qualities) that perhaps the SN3 hp out didn’t as much.

2 Likes

No worries thanks. I just may have to pick one up if I can find one. Rare item in North America

There has been a couple Headlines on a’gon recently.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll check. Forgot about a’gon. There are a couple thanks!!!
Honestly I’ve never seen one here in NA (not a new one for sale)

It’s pretty much the same situation with SuperLine. Naim sells very few (like 6 in US and CA combined last year) and won’t provide any demos to dealers for audition. I suppose the former follows from the latter.

1 Like

Well said! The chaps across the sea are really lucky to have such a wide variety of gear to demo/try in home etc. It makes it a little more difficult for folks like me to “climb the ladder”. It’s still fun to dream!

The SuperLine fiasco is why I’m done buying Naim. The Nova I was considering to replace my dying office system is now cancelled. If Naim won’t provide a demo to the dealer network how can they expect to sell anything? I was able to get an NDX2 to audition, but with the transition to Vervent in N.A. things are changed for the worse.

If I ever upgrade to a 500 series system it might very well have silver aluminum casing and say “Boulder” on the front. Of course, my Fraim will then go on the s/h market. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah my dealer doesn’t carry the full line either(surprise). I don’t have much spare cash right now so I don’t fret it too much. The “classic” range is hard to demo beyond the SN3/NDX2.

1 Like

I don’t expect my dealer to carry the full line, but I do expect that the distributor should have demos of the less common items they can send around to dealers for audition. That’s exactly how I ended up with a NDX2. What makes the situation even more angering and disappointing is that I have spent well over $25K on retail Naim product in the last 18 months.

As for the rest of the range, I started with a 202/HC/250 so I was pretty confident going up the range was worthwhile. Much of it I bought secondhand. I bought the 300DR retail, but the dealer did have one for a customer/vendor meet and greet show they put on. I bought all my Fraim sight unseen, but I knew what I was getting.

When I asked about it, Focal-Naim N.A. had a SuperLine in stock, but they refuse to send it to my dealer for audition. Either the dealer has to buy it on risk or I do. Once the box is opened they won’t accept it for return. I don’t know why they even bother to import it if they show no interest in supporting the sales of it.

3 Likes

Yikes, that sounds horrible

1 Like

ThankZ AntZ
I should have said going to do 3 and 3, I have a second base.
Cheers

Not sure if this was answered, but Fraim seems quite suitable for a turntable support. Although plenty of people prefer a wall shelf.

My Rega RP8 is rock solid on Fraim. And when travel from the UK to the States becomes possible again, and “things” can be scheduled, I’m going to get an LP12 and have been advised that it should do fine on top of Fraim as well; it will have the Trampolin 2 suspension.

2 Likes

Thanks @Bart
I have the Fraim now (pic above) and, while it is very stable, I think I’ll keep the Linn up on the wall. Our floorboards are pretty old, and not the best.

1 Like