Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

The real time analysis of white noise played through the systems, provided by the Sound Organisation in London, showed clear differences between different types of speaker stand. Yes it would be interesting to compare Skeets and Chips. BTW I use Skeets.

I bought an ex demo Fraim for ÂŁ1200, 3x shelves with medium legs, looks great and has enhanced the performance of my setup.

Wanted the best for my 3x box setup as the electronics alone RRP is ÂŁ15k.

1 Like

I wanted to buy my Fraim used, but I gave up trying to get what I want. They just don’t come up all that often in the U.S. and black/black is less common than other finishes.

3 Likes

I realise that this comment isn’t going to meet with much support here, but I think Fraim really looks a bit naff and although I could afford to buy it and we have the room for it if I wanted, I don’t want it. At all.

Best

David

11 Likes

They do, SBL’s!

1 Like

It’s hardly Naim’s fault that physics dictates factors like vibration and microphony…

If I recall correctly, you were a little less than kind with your comments about my new system in the system pics thread (SN2/NDX2 in cabinet, between speakers). I had explained (not that I need too) that this was to balance SQ against family aesthetics in our living room. I found it a little odd, because you clearly support equality for partners with your “misogyny” comments, yet I’m criticised for taking my wife views on system arrangements into account.

Touche.

8 Likes

Interesting point of view!

I have not found anything better than the Fraim in terms of look and stability. Having said that, I recently moved my LP12 to a Fraim top shelf to save space and there is a nagging worry at the back of my mind is that it could fall down or slide down some day somehow?

1 Like

It’s that they don’t appear to design it out, leaving it to the customer to buy even more gear to overcome it.

Sound business model in my view. That said my cheap stand sounds great to my ears.

True but to be fair it’s almost entirely about the price, and whether the functionality it provides “should” be needed/wanted/desired, not the design aesthetics per so, that is being bantered about here.

1 Like

I use a Hutter with Naim spec glass and Naim cups and balls and am very happy with the sound it helps my system to achieve and am not prepared to spend what it would cost to find out if a full Fraim does the job better BUT if you are and you are happy then that’s fine too and I must admit visually a Naim system on a Fraim does look fantastic.

2 Likes

Expensive but good VFM, IMHO, given alternatives. Not for everybody. Not for built-in installations. Otherwise it is truly shortest path to success and convenience, especially where trial time is limited.

Many on this forum have a lot of time to dedicate to this hobby, which is great, especially as they often report useful and interesting details to us who are not yet so free to conduct the necessary trials.

Starting from Fraim is ideal for the time-poor, like me. Modularity and expandability, and standard comparable results are important at this phase, for me.

I shy away from other expensive alternatives suggested at one dealer that dampen with weights and gummy shelf supports, exciting as they seem. Am I wrong?

Nick

1 Like

Its great how different our tastes are. The world would be boring if not! I bought my Fraim solely on looks and if it made no sonic difference I would still be just as happy! I love the look and think it really fits the room. Regarding value, it cost less than a couple of SL cables so in my mind I consider it pretty cheap as well! It really is great how our own personal perspectives differ.

Here is said racks looking (in my mind anyway!) incredibly sexy :smiley:

24 Likes

Yours does look great. Mine looks constantly like the unfinished project that it is — not Fraim’s fault. It makes changing up as painless as I can imagine, which is what I require.

Nick

1 Like

I guess you could design it out by lowering performance to the point where it wouldn’t matter. But then, as performance is Naim’s be all and end all, there wouldn’t be much point in carrying on…

5 Likes

I have an emotional fondness for Mcintosh from childhood; but I find the lack of a recommended support system a turn off, now that I am a Naim fan, used to such provisions.

I was happier, in a way, when I believed supports don’t/shouldn’t matter; but the truth is hard sometimes, eh?

Nick

1 Like

What are Fraim users feedback on how easy to setup and constant re building to get it right

Did?

I did it for the first time recently - lost a ball bearing.
I was not sure how to tighten things up but the take down and rebuild was straightforward.