Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Funny thing, the humming is hardly noticeable and it’s been nearly two weeks.

The corian shelf appears to act as a shield isolating the HCDR from my CDX2 which sits directly above my PS.

Who knows, my ears aren’t that fine tuned these days!

Enjoy the why, the how will take care of itself!

Allante93!

That’s the Corian shelf beneath my CDX2.

1 Like

1 Like

Same with a Yamaha M1. And that costs a lot more than a Naim Statement.

1 Like

Here is my LP12 sitting on top of the Fraim. Do you guys think if there is any remote probability that the glass would slide? Notice that the headshell of my Ekos II is silver, a special edition from Linn.

3 Likes

Of course, they are on ball bearings. That’s what ball bearings do, they roll between two objects. Give it a shove and see if it moves…

2 Likes

You need the glass locators on the top shelf, that’s what I use…only on the top shelf though.image

5 Likes

Thanks Mike, I know it will move if someone deliberately shoves it :frowning:

I still have those circular thingies that come with the Fraim to stick underneath the glass. However, I take the risk of not using them.

1 Like

Thanks NQ, I have been thinking of doing it, but I choose to take the risk for now with the hope that nothing disastrous would happen.

Maybe Mr. Dane recommends/suggests something ?

Why not just use the plastic locators? The only thing you need to check periodically is if the ball bearings are centred and not touching the sides. Takes a few seconds.

It won’t move unless someone, or something, bumps into it. Or there is an earthquake. In normal use it won’t move a millimetre. Unless you are particularly clumsy, or you have a large exuberant dog with an exceptionally waggy tail, or maybe a house sheep, I’d forget about those ugly locator rings, leave them in the box, and carry on exactly as you are. The alternative is to put the LP12 on a good wall shelf.

4 Likes

I have my Rega tt sitting on a Fraim glass shelf, sans locator thingys, and it’s perfectly fine. Opening the dust cover and playing lp’s doesn’t perceptively move the glass at all. The LP12 I presume is heavier and thus even less prone to sliding about unintentionally via human (vs sheep) contact.

3 Likes

Nice, reassuring words, gentlemen.
I’ll leave it as it is.

Quinn, personally I choose not to use them, but if you’re worried then they are there and you should do so.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard.

My LP12 was on the Fraim top shelf many years ago, and then I moved it to a Sound Organisation stand, and now I moved it back to the Fraim because I’ve found it sounds perceptibly better.

Quinn do you have suspended type flooring, and is the LP12 on Fraim pretty immune to foot falls? We have American-style suspended wooden flooring in my home, and fortunately my Rega tt sitting on the top shelf of Fraim doesn’t object to reasonable foot traffic nearby!

Nope, solid bamboo hardwood on a solid concrete foundation in my new home.

Your issue was exactly my problem in my previous home, and that exactly the reason why it was on the Sound Organisation stand.

1 Like

This is a Box Furniture Rack. Solid Maple. It took 3 months to get mine made. I suspect not many make it to the UK… they are totally hand made and do not come apart, so shipping would be crazy expensive. They are made in Brooklyn NY. Box also makes the speaker cabinets for DeVore loud speakers.

This is the home for my new SN2 ( left side bottom) it’s a bit different; sounds great.

!

10 Likes

Earthquakes are my main concern here in Norther California. One medium sized shake, and not only does my LP12 go flying off, but a large framed hockey jersey will come off the wall and smash it.

But YOLO