Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

By all means, get some figures from your dealer, to establish the baseline, then have a gander on the Pink Fishy place, as they are often for sale on there.

You may have to wait a while for the right colour combination, but you could always post a “wanted” ad with your requirements.

Worked for me, as I was able to get hold of a set of tall legs, with their accompanying threaded bar, and the very nice person would not accept payment, so a suitable amount went to the R.N.L.I. instead.

7 Likes

Following on from @dave-marshall’s comment. You could always buy a secondhand shelf complete, so long as it has the right colour and length legs, then swap the kegs over and sell it on. I did this to get a set of medium legs, which cost nothing in the end.

2 Likes

When I bought a set of short legs and bolts in 2019 from my dealer it was about $240 (including shipping and sales tax). I would like to get another set of shorts but am saving my money for a big purchase so it will have to wait.

Good plan, I like your style!

That’s a great little flip, I’d not thought of that. Cheers!

1 Like

The first sentence is fine - it’s your perception based on your experience … the second, third, and fourth begin … “I think”, “I guess” and “I guess”. I would take the first and leave the others.

I find it highly unlikely that a Fraim can have any audible effects. There is no plausible mechanism to explain how it could.

I know I know, I am a grump. I just don’t get it. Still want one though. But just for the looks.

1 Like

Microphony?

For what its worth, I have one and I didn’t hear any difference, I thought I needed something specific to put my stereo on and this one came up on ebay ‘pick up only’ and no one else bid!

I think that its tripod design makes good sense and if you like the style that’s good too. I find its micro-phonic properties to be quite average, tapping the top level, on which my TT sits results in significant transmission of ‘noise’ into my suspended chassis type TT. My Fraim stands on a solid concrete floor.

2 Likes

From where though? The ground? The air?

Well kind off… I am just relaying what I have picked up from Naim about what Fraim does in the second part of my first sentence … so no, not perception, rather my understanding. How that relates to SQ is my supposition.
As far as SQ preference I leave that perception to others as it is subjective.

2 Likes

Vibrational energy from the environment, the sound emitted from the speakers…

I have a carved wooden frog that was a gift from my dear mother. I use it when I chant, hitting the top of the frog’s head with a constant rhythm. When it is situated on a base made from cork, the is sound lively and responsive. In comparison, a base made from oak deadens the sound with a dull undertone.

I find that the glass shelves decoupled above the wooden base of Fraim produces an ‘optimally’ responsive sound. Even pinging both sides of the glass and listening out for the side that produces the better sounding pitch also makes a worthwhile difference to the overall sound signature. In addition, over tightening of the supporting metal legs in such a manner that it touches the wooden shelf also changes the sound (according to the frog) :relaxed:

4 Likes

So your reasons for what you consider to be successful performance are guesses based on hearsay … your post made these sound like your own opinions. Actually you DID comment on SQ, you said it (Fraim) “tends to smooth out the response and open things up”. However you omitted to say relative to what. FWIW I have a houseful of Fraim … I love the look, the modularity, the flexibility, it provides a perfect stable base for my kit; and it exudes quality. Does the system sound better than on my old racks? Not sure either way. Comparisons after a lengthy build and installation process aren’t particularly objective.

2 Likes

What are you talking about, you have lost me there?? Did you mean to reply to me?

Just in case you were confused by what I was posting or others are confused by your response as indeed I am and you were indeed replying to me - let me summarise:

FACT: Fraim manages mechanical resonance and energy dissipation by design. Talk to Naim at the factory or at exhibitions for the full explanation of why and how was designed - and also why setting the tension correctly and rechecking from time to time is key to optimum Fraim performance.

SUPPOSITION: As much on Naim product design is to reduce mechanical resonance then it is fair to assume this is done to improve performance of components, particularly certain Naim products, but not limited to Naim,

SUBJECTIVITY: I prefer the sound on Fraim of many, but not all, of my hifi components, it tends to smooth out the sound and any lumpiness, or controls a bit of exuberant forwardness in my CDX2 for example in my opinion. For those components that there is no benefit to me I put on non Fraim

Hopefully that works for you…

and if I understand your post correctly - you like how Fraim looks, but you are not convinced it helps the performance of any components using it… fair enough - if that was me I wouldn’t bother if it had no audible benefit - but we are all different.

Haha, what began as “I guess” has somehow morphed into “FACT:” … “Talk to Naim” … not me who needs to, it’s the OP you should have advised to do that in the first place (if you’re saying you don’t have the necessary first hand knowledge). “Prefer the sound on Fraim” … woolly again. (You prefer it to what?) … Rhetorical question, let’s leave it there, time to go and play some music.

Time to do that I think …

I think you are trolling now - if you read my post properly you will see I said, if I hear a preference I prefer to non Fraim - which if you are interested is an oak hifi stand currently - but hasn’t always. The bottom line if you don’t like what Fraim does to the performance of your hifi products then you don’t have to use it - but please accept others have different views and some appreciate what Fraim brings to their system.

Its a shame you bring this sort of behaviour to this forum.
Can I suggest we encourage the sharing of ideas and experiences like we have been for the last 15 years without picking for an argument with members and accept members have different experiences and preferences?
Anyway I won’t feed this phish anymore… regrettably you are now on my ignore list.

11 Likes

It would be nice to see people being more considerate of each other and choosing their words carefully to avoid unnecessary mud slinging :relaxed:

2 Likes

Hi Facefirst

If you are interested in mechanical resonance management and what Naim to do with Fraim to compliment the performance of many of their components - it might be best when the Naim factory opens up for visits again - you take advantage. You can talk to the designers, engineers and technicians who design and build these components including Fraim.

You will see mechanical energy management features heavily with various mechanical internal suspension techniques, shaping certain components legs, cable resonance management, and of course Fraim - or the simpler Fraim lite with less significant mechanical energy management.

Other than than listen for yourself… and decide if it brings an appreciable benefit for your system or not. As with most things hifi, or most other things for that matter - don’t take anybody else’s word for it - especially on a web forum/social media - decide for yourself.

The components I felt most benefitted from Fraim have been in descending order:

1. CDX2
  2. NAC 252
  3. Naim DAC
  4. NAC 552
  5. Chord Electronics DAVE

components that have had no real noticeable benefit for me include NDX2 in transport mode, Chord Electronics Etude and NAT03

3 Likes