Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

You could consider intermediate legs, at least one two of the four levels.

I think it’s a good idea to keep the centre of gravity fairly low, so definitely two or three stacks as opposed to one tall stack - if you can accommodate it, of course.

1 Like

I don’t understand this I believe. Could you explain further or in other words :blush::+1:

And why is a Base level more expensive than a standard level with anodised expensive legs? Strange.

1 Like

If you look at this picture of my own system you can see two intermediate levels in the middle stack.

On the regular Fraim, the base has two veneered shelves and, extruded legs aside, double the metal hardware, some very nice (and very pointy) floor spikes, badging, and tools. I guess it all adds up to more, cost-wise.

5 Likes

You should be able to squeeze the Solstice in with a bit of juggling😉

3 Likes

If normal height is 1.0 high, then an intermediate is 1.5 high, and tall 2.0 high

So that three normal levels is the same as two intermediates, and two normal the same as one tall. So between my stacks the two intermediate on the left match three normal on the right

3 Likes

But the Base for Fraimlite is just one level and single amount of metal. Can by no means be more expensive to make than the standard shelf with extruded anodised frames. Anyway, that’s how it is but trying to understand why it is more expensive. Essentially it is a standard level without the anodised legs? :man_shrugging:

I have to say that being able to rely on a consistent box size was, to me, a very compelling argument for an all-Naim system that made everything much easier and provides peace of mind for the future.

1 Like

And just for the sake of completeness, here’s mine, showing tall levels.

Yes, I know that stacking tall levels is against all the rules, but oi doesn’t care … so sack me!

11 Likes

You are officially sacked……get the music and bbq on……we are on our way to do a total fraim rebuild😬

3 Likes

Gearing up for an all day marathon BBQ session on Saturday … oh yes.

Enjoy your Fraim rebuild, though, from experience, that does seem something of a contradiction in terms, and anyone who says they find it strangely therapeutic is, quite clearly, bonkers! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

But… the base is two wood pieces… the base itself and the shelf that sits on it :thinking:

Naim Fraim is but not Fraim Lite?

And FraimLite Standard level is 530 EUR. Base is 650EUR and Base + Level is 880 EUR.

The price just for a base on its own looks like an odd outlier - it would make far more sense to buy a base and a level together as it’s a lot cheaper that way. So perhaps Naim are trying to persuade you to go that way. The UK RRP for a base and a standard level of Fraim lite together is £679, and a for a single standard level on its own is £389. So, if you buy them together, the Fraim lite base is just £290.

Short answer…yes, it’s worth it :blush:

2 Likes

Ah, my apologies @Blackbird, I thought you were talking about the full Fraim.

Stop showing off :laughing:

2 Likes

Aye, Tim, you’re quite right, and are to be thoroughly complimented on your show of great restraint by not including your fab Titan 808s in yer phoatie. :rofl:

I must try harder.

3 Likes

It sure is, even now! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I had quite forgotten about them :grin:

3 Likes

The base has different spikes, they are a sharper angle (pointier), while a standard level has spikes that are almost a 45 degree angle, much shorter height. Maybe this is the difference in price. Looking at these prices makes me happy I bought 4 Fraimlite levels for $300 Canadian dollars, then I did my own mods to make them Full Fraim.:grinning: