Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Wow, it’s decades since I heard Auntie Aviator…about four and a half if memory serves.

I gotta look this song up.

1 Like

Ordered Base + Standard level to split my system into brains and brawn in a 3x2 setup. Hope to not only get the visual benefits of this but also a minor step up in audio quality :sunglasses:

Inspiration picture (although 2x2 and I’m getting a 3x2 with the VPI on top of the 3 levels). And I’m prepared to get into 252/SC/NDX2 later if I get bored…

10 Likes

Thank you. So any ideas on speaker stands that match the Naim engineering and compliment the Fraim for book case speakers? (PMC DB1). Or just use PMC stands for PMC speakers? I.e. use manufacturers own stands?

Ta

The finish on n-Stands matched the silver legs on the Fraim, however, due to their unique mounting design they’re only useable with n-Sats.

As for your PMCs, I guess the manufacturer would have designed them around their own stands? Otherwise, have a chat with your dealer and see what they find works well with them. You might also see what other DB1 users have tried, whether successfully or not.

1 Like

Indeed, I have two standard levels then a tall level.

Mine worked well on Atacama stands (3 legs).

After 3 years of getting my sound system settled, I finally added the Fraim system (2 stacks with 2 base levels, and a total 8 levels). Mine is installed on hardwood floors, with Naim chips under the base levels. I absolutely hear improvements with clarity, and a more accurate punch on the lower frequencies.

System is a 500DR, 272/555, Focal Scala V2, SuperLumina cables, and a couple other boxes. My wife was a big help building the Fraim system - she has interior design experience and is super detailed at leveling things. This is crucial, along with proper set up of the glass, bearings, cups, etc. We were really meticulous in the build and it took around 6 hours, thanks to help from the detailed instructions @Richard.Dane posted in an earlier thread.

Much akin to after I ran a dedicated circuit to my system and it burned in, the Fraim installation seems to improve each week as the Fraim “settles”, and this is quite remarkable. I feel like the improvement is truly the icing on the cake for the sound I have been seeking for the last few years. Clarity across the dynamic range, plus a fuller & more accurate bass response are the primary things that I’ve experienced so far. And it looks beautiful too. I’m a happy customer…so yes Fraim is worth it if you have the money.

I cannot wait to upgrade my phono stage later this year…this is going to be another huge improvement.

8 Likes

19 Likes

Great job! Looks stunning!

Thank you. Cant wait to get the Solstice situated on top of this!

1 Like

Lucky you!!! All this Solstice talk has me thinking about a TT.

2 Likes

I’ve ordered another FraimLite Base to separate my stack into a side by side rack. No delivery date yet.

A thought I got is if it would be possible to use the second base for a single rack to make it a double base just like the standard Fraim later if needed? Different spikes right? Can these be bought as separates?

Last weekend I swapped my IKEA Hifi rack for a Fraim - 4 levels. OMG!! What a difference. Couldn’t believe what I heard. The Fraim was adding clarity, depth and swing to the music. There’s now a presence to the music that I’ve been looking for for a long time. I didn’t know my gear could sound this good. Best upgrade I’ve ever done.

7 Likes

And not a wooden dowel in sight!

1 Like

Kind of amazing isn’t it? :grinning:

3 Likes

Finally have an entry level classic system…112/150 sounding quite nice

Not the greatest picture granted but here it is…

12 Likes

Add a flatcap when you can, it really made a difference on mine.

1 Like

On it’s way :relaxed: I listened to your advice somewhere else on the forum!

1 Like

My advice? I am a young paduan in the ways of Naim. :slightly_smiling_face:

But happy to share my experience.

2 Likes

Ah, I see your path clearly now. ( just checked back on your posts)

If you stick with the 112/150 then a flatcap makes it sing and imo is needed. The hicap will be even better and will then give you a path to future upgrades if you should want them, and you will for the force is strong. :slight_smile:

My path was via a 202/200 before seeing the light. The hicap/202/200 is a fine combination if you are stopping there, but I wish I’d skipped the 202 and gone straight to the 282 or 82, even with the 200. The 202 just wasn’t a big enough step up from the 112 for the price difference. If you get to the 282 then the nap 250 becomes another step worth taking. I could have stopped there for a while but a 300 came along unexpectedly at a price too good to refuse. Enjoy the journey and meanwhile stop and listen to the music from your already excellent combination.

1 Like