Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Having “just” a Lite, the cups are prone to move around. You could add 3 tiny blobs of blu tack under each cup thus fixing them into position. You could also stick some transparent silicon washers on the glass itself, similar to the original plastic cups.

It’s what I’ve done while upgrading my Quadraspire with glass shelves.

1 Like

How did you do that?

I’m pondering going down the Fraim route but I have a concern in that my room has a suspended timber floor. For those of you with a similar situation what did you do, have you used the spikes through to the floorboards, or used spike cups on top of the carpet. I was thinking I might get a slab of granite to sit on top of the carpet and then sit the fraim into cups on top of that. Would that be a reasonable option?

1 Like

Spikes through the carpet but turntable on a wall shelf.

3 Likes

Naim Fraim Chips on the floor.

2 Likes

Spikes will pierce a carpet without damage and provide a secure, level contact with the floor beneath. You can buy Naim Chips to sit the spikes on if you prefer, but again they should be placed under the carpet.

1 Like

My floor is old suspended boards (not great) under carpet. Fraim sits on Chord Silent Mounts SM5AT2 Andante Largo. Posh Chips.

Seem fine to me.

3 Likes

Naim fraim chips directly onto polished wooden floors. Fraim works well - I’m not sure if there is a sonic benefit compared to the previous rack I had, but it looks a lot nicer.

1 Like

I’ve had my SL2s on two slabs of Westmorland slate, and I recently planted their spikes through the carpet and underlay directly onto my concrete floor and this made the sound better, more solid.

The problem with spikes on top of solid blocks on carpet is that the carpet is going to move as the rack moves.

1 Like

Yea - it’s a curious one. Suspended timber floors move, I was thinking a slab of granite would dampen the floor movement and be a more solid base for the Fraim :man_shrugging:.

I don’t think a slab of heavy material is going to stop the floor underneath from moving unless it’s absolutely huge. Also it has to be heavy enough to completely crush your carpet so that it can no longer be compressed at all. I would just use the spikes in the way that they were intended.

4 Likes

Many thanks - appreciate all the input. Thing is I can feel the bass through the floor so I’m struggling with the notion of coupling the Fraim direct to that movement. Maybe there’s another way - need to ponder.

1 Like

Can understand that with concrete floors, I just move my speakers on to a couple of slabs rather than spikes through to the floorboards with a significant improvement.

1 Like

Often with wooden floors people put either coins or Naim Fraim Chips or Chord Silent Mounts under (or on) the carpet so that the spikes’ load is spread by those metal discs over a wider area.

1 Like

Yep my solution cost me 3p…:joy:

1 Like

Thanks - doing a lot of digging around into previous forum threads.

There are few turntables that don’t benefit a lot from a wall shelf, imho, esp with a bouncy floor.

I got a table made with granite sheets as shelves many years ago. All the Naim boxes sit on that, with rubbery feet from HRS under preamp, phono stage and CD player. This seems to work well, but I haven’t resorted to getting half a dozen different racks to try and even a single blind A/B test would be something if a challenge.

If I didn’t have that, I’d probably bear in mind that this is generally a hobby of the not-young, and racks don’t have tweeters, capacitors or bearings to wear out. That thought would send me to eBay, Pinkfish and a couple of related places. Second hand Fraim or Quadraspire or Solidsteel or Isoblue - I doubt I could hear the difference or that any difference I could hear wouldn’t be fixable. And they must surely be available for a lot less than new prices.

3 Likes

Has anyone come across a decent app for the phone that measures vibration? I’ve downloaded one but I don’t really know if it’s measuring on a small enough scale, basically placing it on my rack it’s measuring nothing mostly…

Definitely need a shelf for my TT, currently have my boxes on a custom designs Milan rack - I guess my thoughts of moving to Fraim are inspired by comments in this thread which are mostly positive. EBay etc. or ex demo - sure.

1 Like

The late Max Townshend used to use a tablet with (I assume) a seismograph app.

1 Like