Naim in 2024 - what do you really really want?

Great band The Killjoys

1 Like

Any new product has to conform to regulations on standby power consumption. All New Classic boxes do, controlled through the new optical system automation connections, although Naim still offer a sneaky way round this for those who want to keep the system fully powered up.

My Rega Aethos doesn’t seem to have this function.
Its a pretty recent developed amp.

Its not sneaky, rules is rules. Exhibit A > F1.
Martin

1 Like

But then it becomes expensive again quickly, and competes with the existing streamers.

Hence a vote here for the modular and affordable approach. All in one is served well with the Uniti series.

If any shoebox series materialise at all, of course.

1 Like

Loving all the shoe box ideas… :two_hearts:

1 Like

No idea what you mean by “Exhibit A > F1” but my point is that there is no provision in EU or UK regs, as far as I’m aware, for an option to override the ERP compliant standby mode. In fact I rather suspect the EU, who initiated this regulation, would take a dim view of anyone trying to offer it as merely optional. Naim allow you to override it, but instead of offering a button that turns it off, they point you in the small print towards the server mode option, which just happens to keep the unit powered up.
(There is, though, an option to switch auto standby off on the Nait 50. Perhaps they can do this because it’s not a network connected device.)

1 Like

My ideal Naim product for 2024 would be a re-design of the Nova as a streaming preamp with HDMI/eArc but without the power amp aspect.

Oh, and it should be a bit prettier than the current Nova too :slightly_smiling_face:

So either something midway between Atom HE and NSC 222 or add HDMI to the NSC 222.

1 Like

I’d like Naim to start replicating AC/DC (the good old days) - if not, in combination with today’s music, then they are a potential battery powered scooter - not good. Really not good. Triumph Motorcycles instead! Gone. :smiley:

Maybe the upcoming CI-Uniti 102 will be that thing. Or maybe not.

1 Like

So a 222 with HDMI then?

Your expense point makes no sense, two boxes are always more expensive than one and that‘s before you add 2x mains cable upgrades and a decent interconnect.

I don’t want to pair a Uniti device with a Nait 50 - apart from the redundancy with an Atom and even with an Atom HE, if I wanted modern styling I wouldn’t have bought a Nait 50.

I also don’t want to pair it with a full width component so no competition there either. Naim’s competition will not be with their other devices but with other manufacturers for my wallet. If the Leema Elements Streamer had digital inputs they probably would have already lost.

2 Likes

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the specs are…

Uniti Atom with center channel amp for watching the box :grimacing:

I think you forgot to add “to me”.

In my view not everyone needs a streamer-dac. Some need a streamer bridge, some need a dac, some like you need and/or prefer both but even then you can go there in steps.
And to some the current price level of Naim streaming is unaffordable and yet another product at that level (say Nait 50 price) won’t help there.

It is a hypothetical thread , full of whishes, so we have both expressed ours as nice thoughts for the holiday season. To each our own, world peace.

2 Likes

Adding a digital out on the Uniti range would open up a lot more options too.

1 Like

My meaning was as stated. The rules are set and Naim have applied them to their interpretation of said rules.
Martin

I’d be interested in a Naim/Focal set of active speakers with all electronics built in (or contained in the stands) and with possiblity to hook up tv, subwoofer etc. Something like Kef LSX or, at the other end of the price spectrum, Grimm LS1.

4 Likes

Not actually Naim, but the Kudos crossover!

2 Likes