Naim knock-offs on the well known auction site!

Fully agree - it was the main reason I gave up on Arcam when looking for a new CDP - hence I bought a new CDSi instead.

It’s also why I have just ordered a Temple Audio Bantam Stealth for use in the classroom at school - a good product and made in Manchester. I could have bought a little Chinese amp for £50 and be done with it, but for the reasons mentioned already, I didn’t.

1 Like

Hi Alex
This year I’ve deliberately bought a lot of “made in the UK” products, my latest happen to be Kudos 606 (yes I know the drivers not actually made by Kudos). That said I’m not a “wave the flag at all costs”person. If a product is well designed and made in a country that respects others intellectual property, and treats it’s workforce fairly then I’ll consider it.
It’s just China seems to want it all, ie steals others R&D, does not respect patents and at the same time won’t allow other countries companies to trade fairly in China.
There are of course a lot of other issues but I fear I may go too far from the post topic.
Naim should be able to have recourse against companies ripping them off, but the Chinese won’t allow it and the West won’t get together to ensure it.

3 Likes

Curious what phone/tablet/computers you are using, and what you will do when any of them goes kaput or you want something better?

Hi charlesphoto,

Not sure where you’re going, but as I prefaced my post at 67 above “wherever possible” I won’t buy Chinese products. Yes I use apple iPads and phones made (or assembled)in China via Korean companies with parts from Germany, Switzerland, USA, Japan and others. To be honest if I could source a phone and computer from elsewhere I would but the world now means this is virtually impossible to do.
What I don’t own is a knock off Rolex, or copy of anything else, the original manufacturers loose out and their brand is diminished. Even aircraft spares are cloned and things like car break pads with cheaper substandard copies. A UK climber died due to a cheap copycat rope that purported to be genuine. The CE safety mark in Europe is copied onto electrical goods and they claim it means”China export”.
The point is we should as a society pay a fair price and authorities should do more to prevent sale and import of such goods.
if Certain internet sales sites don’t crack down (seem happy to profit from counterfeit goods) then companies like Naim could go to the wall. Fancy a “NAME” 555 for a tenth of the cost of genuine article?

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. But my point was the world we now live in it’s not possible to entirely cut oneself off from the Made in China stamp. I wouldn’t buy a copy watch either (though at this point one might be more reliable than my @%^& $5k Omega Seamaster that currently needs repair for the nth time) or Leica camera or anything of that nature - and esp if it compromises one’s safety.

I do think there are perfectly fine Chinese hifi etc manufacturers, the difference is they don’t come cheap, just like their Western counterparts. The problem is we’ve set up a paradigm where we want more for less, and the Chinese and others are more than willing to fill up that yawning, hungry ghost need.

G

I’ve been told Xi is upset we use mouthmasks too these days.

Such a great invention copied by the rest of the world.

1 Like

Is nothing sacred?

Thames Town near Shanghai

1 Like

To create a bridge to music, my teacher improvisation used to say ‘better stolen well than badly made’.

A homage to any brand is a great tribute and compliment. Look at the sea of Elvis impersonators parachuting into the Las Vegas strip on his birthday.

Hi charlesphoto
By at least trying to avoid a made in China stamp where possible I am at least voting with my feet. eBay has copy Naim boards showing up as “sponsored content” clearly they are seemingly content to make money from copy/cloned Naim IP.
At a loss as to what can be done in other ways

Authentic Naim Cap! :+1:

Everyone’s got to start from somewhere! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

The cap is genuine naim merchandise! (Or was)
Very easy to copy though. And guess what?

2 Likes

Polyester! Dirty microplastics!

Wasn’t Welsh wool available?

Referencing all of China as responsible for counterfeiting and IP theft is just xenophobic laziness. Just as our society has a spectrum of ethical individuals, so do other countries. Granted some states have a more sophisticated and rigorous enforcement approach but expecting countries to display exemplary conduct from their entire populace is ridiculous.

It’s easy to snipe from a first world country with high living standards but given the relative poverty most of China enjoyed until comparatively recently it’s understandable that they have a more relaxed view of economic activity that might be slightly dubious from our perspective.

5 Likes

Hi Svetty, interesting but I’d argue that pointing out fraud , theft and underhand state business policy’s is not xenophobic. It seems to me a lazy response is to blame the messenger and claim someone is an “ist” of some sort rather than looking at the actual fact or issues.
For decades now China has grown rich by unlawful copying, illegal proxy dumping and anti competitive business practices mainly driven by the state.

Take the well used tactic of offering resource rich but cash poor countries huge (often white elephant) infrastructure projects for sums of money that the recipient could never afford as an underhand way of taking over their resources. Not something I wish to support.
Yes I am aware of the west’s roles in similar issues historically, but two wrongs don’t make a right.
All we can do as individuals is to take a stance ourselves. I don’t want to purchase anything made by slave labour for example.
The OP was about stolen and copied IP and fraudulent goods that’s what I take a stand against whatever the source

6 Likes

Actually, mask wearing was not common in China prior to the Covid pandemic, or at least not in any of the 6 or 7 Chinese cities I visited last year.

By contrast, mask wearing was very common indeed when I visited Tokyo and Osaka in Japan a couple of years or so ago. So perhaps a Japanese and Korean ‘invention’ rather than a Chinese one.

I need to do an Asia tour when this is all over. Been to mid-east, India, but cancelled Srilanka just before the covid crisis started.