Naim knock-offs on the well known auction site!

The risk of deception is to a potential buyer not knowing Naim other than by reputation and by googling reviews and seeing pics of front panels, so would not know that lack of DINs is a giveaway.

Such people could be very happy with their purchase, and may never have bought Naim at genuine prices …Or they might yet have bought at Naim prices had they not seen these, so lost income for Naim. …Or even worse for Naim they might buy these, find they are rubbish and get turned off Naim, also passing on their views to others.

Interestingly, eBay is now going to guarantee that expensive sneakers on their site are authentic. Not sure how they plan to do this, but it starts in a few weeks.

I would expect that’s an extension of the VeRO (Verified Rights Owner Program) system I mentioned, involving you having to prove authenticity before you list. How they’d enforce that is anyone’s guess…

Yes, but sometimes there’s no helping the stupid - or cheap. I agree though, when it comes to casework replication Naim has a case (pun not intended). I deal with this myself with my images, though it’s often too much trouble to even pursue, esp if it’s overseas.

I notice today that the auction site has some Naim cases for sale. These are to our trained eyes obviously not from Naim, but do bear their logo. Again it is listed as being from China. Does China have some sort of immunity from prosecution in these matters? I sincerely hope no-one is unintentionally taken by these obviously fake items.

I am also concerned that someone might buy them and put fake Naim components inside and try to pass them off as genuine Naim amps.

Edit: just noticed that @AlexP had already posted a pic of it in post 54.

I would imagine that the Naim knock off industry is quite small compared to the world of fake Fender and Gibson guitars. The guitar forum members are understandably passionate about reporting such fakes on ebay.

Please all feel free to report them to eBay, as we do!

Frankly I’ve boycotted wherever possible anything made in China for a while now. Everything seems to be made (or copied/or stolen IP) . UK Brands being bought up such as Wharfdale speakers now with a Union Jack on the back but made in China. Even B&W make almost all their products in China now. Happy to buy Naim, Cyrus, Exposure etc. Looked at Hegel amps but again made in China it seems. Problem is so bad now with outsourced manufacturing that you loose the skill set, once it’s gone difficult to recover it.
Unless governments do something about the IP theft it won’t change. :frowning:

5 Likes

I totally agree

Well, isn’t is us who buys it all? Certainly we can stop buying from China? We can prohibit usage of cheap plastics, toys et cetera?

One side of the problem is that we want much and cheap.

Agreed… though many times it’s businesses looking to lower costs to complete more that have led the way to China rather than customers. Once one goes others are forced to follow or be uncompetitive.
Even dare I say it Naim… with the Muso Qb2
made in China. My next upgrade Won’t be made in China, we can only vote with our feet.
Edit… I guess Naim make Muso in China as the only way Muso (a volume product), would be competitive.

1 Like

No we can’t I used Ian La Frenais and and his writing partner D I C K Clement and you can’t use that word.

1 Like

Half a century ago the concerns were about Japan not China, as expressed by John Entwhistle in the song Made in Japan from the album Rigor Mortis Sets In:
Personally I feel more strongly against the likes of Amazon and the stupidity of tax laws that lets is owner get ever richer profiting from our country’s loss of tax revenue, than the fact that China has become a successful exporter of a vast array of goods. Yes there is illegal activity in China that impinges on world trade and it would be good if it could be reduced, but I suspect the negative effect of that in my part of the world is less than the negative effect of tax systems that allow some Western corporations or individuals to profit in the way they do.

1 Like

Agreed. Well overdue controls on the likes of Amazon are desperately needed, even if it’s just to even up the tax and overhead issues. Two issues here, firstly illegal copying and sales, secondly the totally detrimental effect Amazon etc has on local businesses and tax take. Until we all accept we have to pay a fair price for goods then it will only now get worse.

i’m waiting for the first counterfeit Muso QB to turn up on eBay…one made in the UK!

I’ll get me coat! :smiley:

2 Likes

Great idea…but now if it was actually MADE by Naim…

All this talk about knock offs reminds me of a story, that may not be true.
Senior manager from black and decker is on holiday in Thailand? Sees what are knock off workmates for sale. And clearly not made in B and Ds factory. But, the quality was so good, he made enquires and b and d ended up using that factory to produce the real workmate ( better quality and lower price).

Most likely the lower cost was the major draw…

Haha. Yep. Most likely the quality was better than expected( for knock off) but the cost was the driving factor!

Ignoring the labour rates, employee’s rights and the whole economic model for a moment, I think one of the biggest differences between Japan and China is that Japan used its own companies and brands, though no doubt with some IP theft originally. China on the other hand, will gladly manufacture for Western companies, costing jobs and skills in the process. Obviously the rise of Japan cost jobs in the West through competition, this time the ‘collusion’ is between Western management and Chinese producers. Sometimes this comes back to bite the brand when the same product appears for less under a different name. As an example, Focal produce an in-car under-seat active subwoofer in China. A quick google search shows the same unit (it certainly looks identical) marketed under many different names and at cheaper prices.

TBF Eastern Europe has becomes an ‘almost China‘ on the doorstep. A few hours research will inform you how many components and finished products that you may think as German or French etc. in origin actually come from Eastern Europe. The auto industry is a good example.

1 Like