Naim Mains/Power cable

It’s just the weave and the shine is the resin. Extremely high quality CF , I might add.

2 Likes

I like the power connection arrangement on the D’Agostino ‘Relentless’ three big threaded studs and bolts, complete with spanner to tighten the cable in each terminal. If I recall correctly, the user is free to chose their favourite cable of choice, including the option of a direct connection from consumer unit.

I’m guessing that this would be like an electric cooker connection!

This post is about Naim power cables.
You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of my post to Opus.
Your reply is thread drift (at least) all of which we, & me especially, are fully aware of.
Maybe it would be good if you deleted your post.

1 Like

Surely, if we come across a post that we do not like, or is not our opinion, the best thing is to scroll past and move on to the next post or conversation, rather than escalating the conversation on a personal level.

If a reply adds to the debate, (and everyone has a different view of the world, and we all will see things from our own position) then such comment expands the topic and includes diverse comment and opinion from another viewpoint, which enriches our experience.

If that view does not accord with our own, scroll past please.

4 Likes

My post was a simple short reply to a post addressed to me that was escalated to a personal level.
Thanks for the moderation advise
End Of

1 Like

Perhaps you might consider this in future…

End Of
End Of

1 Like

I might have missed it, but people haven’t mentioned the Hydra mains lead. For me that resulted in a significant improvement in the sound of my system. Over the years I have tried a few different mains leads. When I had Olive amps I preferred the sound of Sonik Link ( I think that was the name) But when I got the Black amps I thought the standard Naim mains cable sounded better - much more PRATT. They were all plugged into a distribution box so I assumed the star earth was achieved as the leads then went into one mains plug, Then I got a Hydra from Grahams (UK store), and this improved the sound even further. Same standard mains lead, but star earthed much closer to the amps and the leads being almost exactly the same length - clearly this really does make a huge difference for Naim amps.
The importance of a real star earth was bought home to me a couple of years ago. I was having an issue with my 250 and wanted to check the mains lead was not the cause so used a spare Naim cable instead. It was plugged in the next socket to the Hydra so very close. It didn’t resolve the issue with the 250, but I left it in, as in my set up it’s a bit of a faff changing leads. I noticed the sound was not as enjoyable, but put it down to the amp needing to warm up again. But after a couple of hours its still didn’t sound as good as I come to expect (282, HiCap 250). I was a bit lost, then remembered the mains lead and returned the Hydra lead to the 250 - everything just snapped to attention again, sound quality returned to what I expected!
There has been a forum thread about a distribution boxes that costs around 1K+ that people were saying was well worth the outlay because of the sound improvements they resulted in. The publicity for those boxes, while going on about the material the boxes were made off, also emphasised how they achieved a true star earth. The Hydra cost me £170.
Best wishes Amer

6 Likes

On some of these high end iec standard brass is used but on iego iec which seem to be cheaper furakawa red copper is used not brass so which is the highest quality. Remember you always pay a premium and sometimes a very hefty one just to have that badge name, which explains sometimes that cheaper can be better. I use M Keiser iec rhodium as the connector into amp and its a wonderful snug fit much better than so called expensive ones as ive struggled to seat them properly. A superb SQ too, its connected to a kimber pk14 cable and m link clear plug about 60 pound all in. I bough the kimber as an RA powermax plus standard cable and changed the ends out. The kimber pk14 cable now though is quite expensive to buy and this shows what was once gppd VFM cable is disproprtionately expensive compared to what it once was because of a badge name on it.

Currently I have a cheap old plastic IEC connector, what will I get if I change it to better IEC connectors.

Went from said Netzleiste and I-Shengs to Netzleiste Plus and all Powerlines (mostly pre-loved) one by one under a number of years.
My 2c is that its the most rewarding upgrade for the money in all naim range. While other products usually have their traits and cons these just seem to better everything and not deducting one single aspect

I agree re the premium on some of the badge names.
But I have to say the Furutech 13A plug I use, does have good well designed engineering in the parts that matter.
Re the IeGo IEC socket plugs, I like their all copper contacts & other parts over the brass alloys, plus the good applied engineering design throughout. However I did find a problem with them in that the insert ‘nose’ is too long & only just allows the socket clamps to start to push onto the Naim pins.
I machined off 1.5mm from the IeGo ‘nose’ end, that now allows the contacts to make, then push down the pins a further 1.5mm. Contact grip tension is the best, hang on tight to the Naim end, it’s a 2 handed job for sure.
Getting the thread back on subject; the Naim Powerline Lite moulded IEC socket plug ends design, detail, finish & the contact tension is as good as anything of that cable type that I’ve found.

I agree with my namesake on copper. I’ve never got on with a silver cable anywhere. And the science of the contacts is all very well but only part of the equation. The Sean Jacobs Custom Hi-Fi Cables Powerblack power cord and distribution block both sound better than the Powerline and Powerigel Plus respectively in my system.

Dealer: ooh, I see you’re wearing “regular” shoes?

Mr.M: ahh, sure comfy leather ones, quite smart?

Dealer: I hope you don’t listen to your Naim system in those! (smirks, smugly)

Mr.M: How can I improve that?

Dealer: Taadah! Copper listening shoes of course!

Mr.M: (ignorant stare)

Dealer: Cash or card?

4 Likes

Im having the exact same problem with my iego as well on some eqipment, but i did manage to get it to work on my naim amp and i really rate them when they make a proper contact, however it would not work on my plasma tv iec no matter what i did so think this is a design flaw on this connector.
When you say you machined off 1.5mm is that from the metal earth pin or the end of the whole plastic part where it inserts into an iec. I have a dremel and could perhaps machine off 1.5mm off the earth. Would this work or not?

I also have the basic furutech iec 1351 or similar, the brass one and its a very well constructed plug end, its on the end of my RA classic powerkord and its quite revealing, its best feature is the cable entry clamp. The one thing i dont like about it and can be seen in pedars picture is the clamping spring mech for the cable conductor is in the middle which can block thick cable and if you clamp the conductor to the side it seems uneven. I much prefer the 2 clamping mech on the outside like in most iec.

Amen ! I am with you totally, Amer. A Hydra totally transformed my system too.
Some may feel though that the Hydra isn’t expensive enough for their system… :grinning:

:running_man:

4 Likes

I get it, you machined off the plastic part of the front of the iec plug. Did you use a special machine for this or tool like a dremel?

I machined 1.5mm from the end of the plastic part that inserts into the the Naim IEC male socket.
I used a lathe, but would use whatever could work that is handy, file, grinder etc… If I was doing it again I would go for 2mm.

Thanks, ill have a go with file and also dremel wheel.

I have to ask… did you clamp the IEC socket in the lathe chuck and then just take ‘slices’ off with an appropriate tool working across the face of the IEC socket?

Or did you use some other method?

I’ve got a mini-lathe in my garage and wonder how I ever managed without it (even though I don’t really know how to use it…)