Naim Muso 1st gen in nursing home

With you.
So it is not a shared network (which is required) but that the “shared network is being prevented” is the issue and for the obvious reasons you suggest.

It is a shared network because everyone shares it for all sorts of different uses, web browsing, zoom calls, email etc. No doubt streaming too. It’s one device discovering and potentially interacting with another device in the network that is prevented. A home network isn’t a “shared network”, it’s a home network or just a network. So my wife’s phone can see all the Naim the same as mine can and we don’t interfere with each other’s use by an implicit agreement between us, not by a security policy of the network manager…

1 Like

Sadly I did not buy from a dealer! (Buyer Beware!). Apparently you can only do a firmware update once the app is set-up and the WiFi system in the home will not !et me complete set-up. The speaker I not currently connected to WiFi. I play music from my qobuz app on my iPod 7 touch via a USB lead to the Muso. This gives me near CD quality music as the iPod connects to the WiFi no problem. I can also use Bluetooth from a number of sources just nothing via the Naim App. Thanks.

Thanks for your explanation d David most helpful.

Hi, think I have finally isolated the problem re: the Naim Muso 1st gen. It’s WiFi bandwidth is 2.4ghz only the Bupa home WiFi bandwidth is 5ghz only. So the Muso cannot cannot connect to it. My iPod 7 and iPhone 8 both have 5ghz so no problem. But the Muso cannot connect with them over a local network as it cannot connect to the WiFi. !y fault should have checked. So?? Now look for speaker with 5ghx wifi capability. Buyer beware! Eh:). Thanks again.

Well that won’t be helping either… !

Limiting the Bupa network to the 5GHz band will exclude a lot of older devices. Seems like a bad choice to me, but there’s maybe good technical reasons.

Don’t forget you’re still likely to run into the problem that devices won’t be able to talk to each other using the Bupa WiFi.

Running Net Analyser from your iPod or iPhone might be educational. I expect that they wouldn’t be able to see each other, but maybe we’ve been on the wrong track all along!

All noted Andy thanks. I think my next stage is to get a local dealer to bring an appropriate demo speaker and see if they can connect it to the home’s WiFi; on the understanding that I buy a new one if it does:).

Incidentally I tried unplugging the USB lead from the iPod and listening to qobuz on Bluetooth. It sounded appalling by comparison:). Watch this space:) … Thanks.

I really hope you get something working as soon as possible and with the quality you seek my friend. I can see music means alot to you and your current challenges make it an even more desirable commodity.
Keep us posted with how things go, there are many knowledgeable members here to help.

Are you 100% sure that’s the issue. If you check with a WiFi analyser app you will be able to confirm if that’s the case as it will show it in both bandwidths. Also getting it to connect to the WiFi is only one part of the puzzle you also need the app to be able to discover it. This last part often causes the biggest problems as WiFi networks can and most likely will in your scenario be limiting this type of traffic as it can really affect its performance.

Thanks we will get there in the end.:).

Thanks, I will try to get people who know more than me to do the next stage:).

2 Likes

Looked on a wifi analyser tonight, the channel to which all residents are restricted is definitely 5ghz only. Other parts of the WiFi such as Bupa Corporate, Bupa Clinical and Bupa Staff, are allocated more Channels some at 2.4ghz. We residents are limited to one channel. Albeit with a strong signal and fast speed. We have no admin rights to change the channel.

Fair enough. The Muso2 and QB2 both support 5ghz if you want to stick with Naim. Get them on sale or return if you can’t get the app to see it.

Thanks. I am hoping my local Sevenoaks dealer will bring several demo speakers to see if any of them will connect to the wifi system. That is perhaps the only sure way to know.

Hi all, In the end I bought the Amazon Echo studio and Amazon HD music service!! The App works flawlessly. It connected to both my iPod and the nursing home network in under 5mins and has never missed a beat:). Of course the bass and the treble do not have the heft and clarity of the Muso, but are not far behind and the midrange for jazz and vocals - my main listening - is a tad better. If I wish to improve the bas in future I can always buy a matching wireless sub. Of course, it is voice controlled, very handy from my bed, so I can get all I need unaided:).

Guess I have learnt to check and double check the specs of older expensive equipment before I buy!!! I thank you all for your kind help and advice and time:). The forum is a credit to you all:). For its size this speaker is pretty darn good and I am happy thanks to all of you:).

4 Likes

Sort of update we all like, a contented listener…Naim or otherwise.
Enjoy your music.

Thanks All I am and I will enjoy it:). The more so, for all I have learnt from this wonderful forum. I now have a much clearer idea of what I am listening to and for and how to get the best out of my equipment to achieve it. I love music, but sometimes my love of equipment overides my love of music to my detriment!!!:):):). Now what to do with the Muso?……:).

1 Like

I know you have bough the speaker now but could you could change it for an Echo LInk and feed the Muso with it?

Thanks, certainly food for thought!:).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.