Naim nac 282 appreciation

Indeed, and quite a bit of change. Sadly, this doesn’t only apply to the 282. And that’s why my Naim comes from the used market. With the exception of the two Muso QBs, which were bougth when John Lewis’ special prices were just too tempting – especially when we bougth the second one…

It’s amazing people are still buying the 282 at new prices today. :+1: I thought I would be the only person or few final customers who bought new 3 years ago (250DR and Hicap DR as well)

How much was it in 2002?

Why would you think this?

282/250 is core classic series and extremely popular.

As Bjorn and Naim_the_Dragon had mentioned, the 282 (together with the rest of the Classic series of preamp) has been around for a long time without any changes or updates, except for the price. The introduction of a new replacement model for the 282 will likely hinder potential owners from purchasing the 282, and since the 282 has been around for such a long time most people may be concerned whether to purchase new in anticipation of the upcoming replacement model. I too have the same concern 3 years ago prior to getting the 282. I’ve been using the 282 for 3 years now and it’s still the current model which is a good thing.

1 Like

Opposite for me, one of the key reasons I bought one new last year is because of the length of time the product has been out.
Not much has changed in analogue pre/power amps technology wise.

I brought this up on another thread a while back, if the S1 is the best Naim can make what is there within that that could be introduced to the Classic range to improve on. DR was it, I am not convinced that there is much more that could be done within a sensible cost.

As you say then there is the hierarchy to contend with. The Supernait3 was better than the 2 but still falls under the 202/200.
Many argue that it’s superior. I haven’t heard personally but I have never heard any dealer say that it is, always the opposite.

Yes, if Naim discontinues the production of the 282 together with the rest of the Classic preamps, it will surely be a classic by then. 19 years and still going strong. Celebrating the 20th anniversary next year!

1 Like

What are doing with your 282/250 now you have your Luxman with the Marten Dukes?

Sadly the 282/250DR are currently unused, together with the Harbeth speakers. I am not sure when I will have the opportunity to set up the system up again as the Marten/Luxman is sounding splendid.

3 Likes

You will return :grin:

:grin: yes, one day…

Once bitten by Naim hard to let go.
Naim always sounds fantastic once you return, very hard to let go…

2 Likes

If they are surplus to your requirements and you are not longer happy, why not pass them on to someone who can truly appreciate them?

And still worth every penny :slight_smile:

I have a ND555/552/500 / but the ndx2/282/Hicap/250 gets way more use!
This thread is tempting me to go to a SC / but then it’s a slippery slope to a 252.
282/Hicap/250 is awesome balanced!

2 Likes

Yes my Luxman system is making me wonder about the NDX/282/250 in storage too. The whole Luxman/Omega system cost 1/8th of my Naim/PMC system and does a few things better.

The 282/hicap will be my first step to phase out my 272.

I have heard the difference between 282 and 252, but can’t easily find answers to a question I have.

They both came into production the same year, so a different approach they must have I presume. Then what would their real technical difference be?

There seems to be a voltage difference and of course the 282 is upgradable with 4 power supplies and the 252 requires the one sc. Are these only what causes the performance difference between 252/sc and 282/sc?

Which Luxman?

I still have the intention to set the Naim and Harbeth speakers up one day. I’m not particularly unhappy with the Naim but it just happens that the new speakers and corresponding amp (Marten and Luxman) sound differently better. If I have the space I would be running 2 systems but unfortunately there is insufficient room for 2 large systems at the moment.

1 Like

That’s good to know!