Naim NAC 32.5 vs NAC 62 which one do you prefer?

Having owned a 32.5, 42.5 and a 62 at various times, I would agree that 32.5 and 62 are at a similar level.

My favourite was the 42.5 which I sold to get the 32.5 thinking that it would be an upgrade. Ooops.

My advice to the op is (if possible) to buy both preamps and then decide which one is the best. One of them might be an absolute belter like that 42.5 but unless you try both you will never know…

2 Likes

I Have a NAC62 on a HiCap/140 set up and it sounds great.

It stands up well against my SN2/CHC CAP (which is quite different) but both are equally great. In moving from my serviced 62, I’d be moving to an 82 rather than 72/32.5 etc as the difference would be marginal.

2 Likes

if I look here the average likes NAC 32.5, yes, even though I see NAC 62 is not bad either

Surely the real answer here is 72?!

3 Likes

there no option for 72 right now hehehe

I have just switched to a 32.5 from a 62. I have to say that I can not notice anything between them. Ease of upgrade and curiosity were my only reasons for change.

I enjoy experimenting and will probably swap them back around at some point.

I would go for the amp in best condition, my experience is that a well looked after amp will perform best. At the age these amps are, there are too many other factors which could effect sound. You wouldn’t be disappointed with either.

I purchased a brand new nac62 in 1988, IIRC the owner’s manual states that the only difference is the 32.5 has an extra input channel.
This maybe economical with the truth, i wouldn’t know not having experienced an A/B comparison between them :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

In 1988 that extra channel may have been worth it. Now, I use just 2. TT and streamer. OK, so the cdp is digital into spdif of the ndx2. So 3 sources, only 2 inputs required. Simples.

I did do a comparison and heard no discernible difference. Their character is the same (to me), and I would be happy with either.

I have 2 options from 2 seller for NAC 72 and NAC 62, below is the condition from both. which one is good to choose ?

NAC 62 :

NAC 72 :

thank you

Get the 72 and the matching olive 140.

4 Likes

but the 72 there’s 2 blank board (missing board) for NA323K and NA 326, buffer board is promised available

I’d have to say that for pure Naim sound the 32.5 was probably if not the best Nac I owned it’s in the top 2 with the 82. I’ve owned all Nac’s except a 92,112 and a 62 up to the 282 and I can’t imagine the 62 bettering a 32.5 I’d go so far as to say that for pure Naim ballsiness a 32.5/HC/250 is hard to beat .

1 Like

But is the lack of a 326 or 323 an issue?
If using an external phono stage just get the links remade. Same for the other phono input or CD input. Depends on age of 72.

1 Like

The 2 photos above show the actual conditions of the NAC 72 and NAC 62, which one is better to choose?

Neither have been recently serviced.

1 Like

for NAC 62 it is fully serviced and tasted while NAC 72 has not confirmed its condition has been serviced / recaptured

Would have expected to see these changed if serviced recently?

1 Like

it has serviced yet, that’s all

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.