Naim NAT

I’d also be very interested to hear of any other NAT owners in the Bristol area and what their experiences have been with aerials, location and overall signal quality.

Equally if there are any recommendations for aerial fitters in or around Bristol who have experience of getting the best out of these tuners then I’d be keen to hear them.

Many thanks

Dave

Update - I have a new Yagi aerial installed and pointing towards Wenvoe. Immediately the stereo led illuminated and the NAT01 sounds absolutely sublime.
I now understand what people mean when they say that the NAT01 is up there with Naim’s greatest ever source components. Mesmerising :blush:

3 Likes

Good news - A lovely bit of kit Dave

Sorry to have missed this thread …
I’m up in the Cotswolds and use aRon Smith Circular 5 it’s not as big as a galaxy but does the job for my Nat02 and four UnitiQutes.

2 Likes

But probably not st the same time …

Actually it’s Nat01 sorry for being dense

I had a 5 element Yagi installed in place of the 3 element with the aim of eliminating a slight background hiss on R3 at higher volumes (just below 9 o’clock).

It’s still there so the installer suggested fitting a FM signal amplifier in between the co-ax from the Yagi and the co-ax going into the NAT01.

I had a vague recollection that FM signal amplifiers were not recommended by Naim for use with its tuners. Does anyone have the same view?

I’m inclined not to use the signal amplifier and just use a F-plug connector to join the the aerial co-ax and the co-ax to the NAT.

And possibly have the NAT01 serviced as it’s probably due one.

Any experiences / insight or ideas welcome. Thanks

Signal amps are not recommended - it will just amplify whatever the aerial is pulling in, including hiss.
Reducing hiss means finding more gain. A 5-element aerial should be more than enough, depending on your location. So can you tell me where do you live (city or first section of post code) & I will see run a check to see what & where your signal(s) are coming from.
It might also be the condition or length of the coax & associated plugs.
It might be the NAT needs a service.

Thanks Mike, as I thought.

I’m in Bristol with the Yagi pointing at Wenvoe in Cardiff.

Interestingly R2 is a really solid signal with no hiss and although R3 has signal and stereo lights fully on there is the slight background hiss at higher volume.

And all plugs / connections are new. The Coax is new Webro external and internal into the NAT.

Hi again Dave, Wenvoe is one of the most powerful FM transmitters in UK with 250kW on the main BBC’s & Classic FM, & with only 30 miles across the channel to Bristol centre is as good as it can get.
Your new Webro (assuming its WF100) is also as good as it gets. I assume the installer checked the signal strength as part of the install & was satisfied with the result.
Might be worth enquiring about a NAT service

Thanks Mike. I’ve now removed the signal amp and connected the coax together with a F-plug coupler and both signal and stereo LEDs are illuminated. R2 is strong and decent quality but R3 (the station I most listen too) still has this faint background hiss.
Most peculiar but I’m coming to the conclusion that a service for the NAT01 might be in order. The classic sign that a service is needed (drifting off station) is not apparent though.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately I can’t offer you any advice regarding your R3 hiss issue, but another reason why Naim do not recommend FM amplifiers is that they can hinder the tuner’s automatic gain control.

Also, many of the “omni” halo aerials actually have a negative gain figure, so I’m not surprised you experienced poor results!

Regards
Neil.

… he has a 5-element Yagi installed, no mention of omni or halo

There was - honest!

I was going by the post earlier today … “I had a 5 element Yagi installed in place of the 3 element with the aim of eliminating a slight background hiss on R3 at higher volumes (just below 9 o’clock).”

To clarify I originally had an Omni which was hopeless (tried the NAT01 with it for about 10 minutes). I changed to a 3 element Yagi which was better and then to a 5 element Yagi.

1 Like

When I lived just 20 miles east of Bristol, I had a 20 element Yagi aerial installed by Ron Smith, which he aligned to Wenvoe. Even in that situation it still required a mast head amplifier to get a vaguely reasonable Radio 3 reception. In that situation the problem was most likely due to trees all around. Despite the aerial being mounted on the end of a 20’ steel scaffold pole on the gable end of my house, it wasn’t possible to clear the tree height. The solution was found when we moved house!

2 Likes

Interesting Clive. Thanks; a 20 element Yagi - Wow that must have been quite something to see!!

It’s just really odd that I can get a brilliant signal from R2 at Wenvoe (listing to the live set in Jo Whiley’s show last night was really special) but R3 from the same mast is a significantly poorer signal.

This is the Wenvoe VHF FM coverage map.
I know from experience reception in the hill shadow (valley) areas to the east have issues, parts of Brisol are clear line of sight to Wenvoe, but it does have some shadow problems & there is a relay mast at Ilchester Crescent; the station info sez its located on a ridge in south Bristol & is a high power TV and FM relay covering most parts of central and south Bristol that are shielded by the downs that rise out of the southern edge of the city.
It might be worth considering, it has mixed polarity transmissions (V&H) & 1.3kW with R1 98.9MHz R2 89.3, R3 91.5 & R4 93.7

2 Likes