Naim NAT

Astonishingly comprehensive as ever, Mike!
C.

Brilliant Mike. Thank you.

I did consider Illchester Crescent but itā€™s a relay transmitter from Wenvoe which my aerial guy said would be inferior to the direct Wenvoe signal. I could always get the Yagi turned to face Illchester to see how it sounds though particularly R3 which must be better that what Iā€™m getting from Wenvoe - even iRadio R3 sounds better :rofl:

If your aerial guy said Wenvoe would be better, Iā€™m not arguing with that, but 1.3kW is pretty powerful for a local infill relay. (e.g. Salisbury is 20W & a relay for 250kW Rowridge, IoW)
Can you ā€œseeā€ Wenroe ?? I donā€™t mean actually visually see it, but are there any hills that block a line of sight. If so it might be worth trying a reorientation to the local TX.

Iā€™ll try Illchester Crescent. Itā€™ll involve mounting the Yagi on its end (pointing skyward) as apparently the wave forms are different from a Relay than a main transmitter. That will likely mean reverting to the 3 element to test it.
Iā€™ll also get a single run of Webro from the aerial to the NAT01 to avoid having to join to runs of it with a F-plug coupler.

If the signal is vertically polarised, all you need do is rotate it through 90degrees so that the boom still points to the transmitter, as before, but the elements are now vertical.

I donā€™t believe you need to change anything, other than swing itā€™s direction, according to the www info both transmit mixed polarity, vertical & horizontal.

Just had the NAT01 back from service. It sounds completely different. Absolutely no background hiss at all at higher volumes and the display now seems twice as bright.

R3 sounds absolutely superb compared to the iRadio equivalent.

What a wonderful product and the best example Iā€™ve experienced of a service improving SQ.

7 Likes

Green with envy - happy listening

1 Like

Yes, I had mine done a couple of years ago. I still reckon itā€™s Naim Audioā€™s best ever source component (and I have an ND555).

2 Likes

I have my NAT01 alongside the accompanying NATPS.

Is it best practice to separate the Tuner head from the PS in the same way as is done with other two box components?

I could put the NATPS in the cabinet below the tuner head if that is thought to be better.

I suppose that it was one of the high gain yagiā€™s rather than one of these ā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, itā€™s just as sensitive as a preamp or active crossover. Your NATPS had me discombobulated until I realised you meant NAPST. They really should be separated.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel. Iā€™ll separate them.

Adding a power supply makes a difference, its subtle but lifts it overall and well worth doing

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.