Naim NBL repair of the mid-frequency speaker?

What I did was to take the top cabinets of my dbls on a trip to Balingen latst summer where the distributor ( his name is mr Lommersum) of scan speak has his „office“. It’s actually his home from where he handles the drivers. We tested the phase response of my original drivers both within the cabinet and mounted to his testing wall in his basement. Then he tried a few of the scan speak drivers to find a match. It turned out that this scan speak driver in question actually has almost the exact same phase profile. He suggested to slice the round frame as you can see so they fit the cabinet. Nevertheless I was and still am hesitant to moznt them in my cabinets as my mids are not really broken and it would require although minor but still permanent trimming of the wooden opening to accommodate the ribs of the scanspeak baskets. But I am very pleased that you found that these drivers may actually be up to the task. Thank you!

1 Like

Still you have to think worth the small investment now just in case down the line.

So are we all going to send our mids to St Petersburg soon to get them refurbished properly…:thinking::flushed::see_no_evil::rofl:

Hi Charlie, how much of the Cabinet would need to come off to accommodate the Scan speak. I take it that the mounting holes are in the same position.

I havent done an exact assessment and have not even bothered to try to fit them actually. As the ribs of the scan speak baskets are a little deeper/more prominent the rim of the cabinet would need some trimming/slicing to accomodate the ribs to get a snug fit of the circumference of the basket onto the cabinet. Its not by much what I remember, maybe a few mm. Yes, the monting holes should be in the same position.

Hi Willy not sure how to contact you as DBL post has closed so I hope you pick it up.

I have just purchased new Tweeters for my DBLs from Willys HiFi. The new ones are D2010/851100. The one`s I took out are D2010/8513 which according to their website is their Classic Range for Proac and Spendor. Did you find the same when you changed yours.

I’m sure I’d have noticed, and noted, if the drivers had been different. I’ll have a trawl through my photos and see if that sheds any light. Possibly also have the previous drivers in a box somewhere in the attic (yes I know that’s sad).
Watch this space…

Willy.

You can simply add an “at” sign before the name, like @Suedkiez, then the person will be notified by the forum software

From the photos I can see that one of the old tweeters was definitely a 851100. Can’t see the label on the other one, assuming it had a label, but it was clearly second hand and at some point had something cylindrical glued to its backplate. Also recall that there were various bits of hardware (washers, reinforcing ring) missing as well.
All fully restored to stock now and sounding rather, well, silent as my 552 is currently visiting Salisbury.

Willy.

The tweeters I got new from Cymbiosis
I still have the old ones somewhere in a box too but think were the same

2 Likes

These are the Tweeters I took out. Either they have been changed for the wrong one`s in their life, which I doubt by the state of them or Naim changed what they were using at some point.

2 Likes

This is what came out of my NBLs, one of them was original Naim with a match code, the other had been replaced but the numbers were the same.

2 Likes

I love and respect the lot of us who are so dedicated to the upkeep of their classic Naim speakers - which they obviously feel for and love - kudos! No puns intended.

Keep it up and going, and enjoy the fruit of labour.

I feel inspired by the dedication by some of us here. Amazing. Thank you.

Nothing of any real meaningful consequence comes by easily in life. It only comes from effort especially applicable to our music systems.

3 Likes

The 8513s are very similar but have Ferrofluid whereas the 8110s that Naim used were without Ferrofluid. It looks like someone may have changed the tweeters on yours at some point.

I’ll confess I do like your Forum nickname, DBL…

Treasure your brutes.

Hi Richard, was this for sonic advantages tested by Naim, as Ferrofluid has its cooling advantages in driver manufacture - would have thought it would be used. Interesting feedback.

Yes, Roy chose what he felt performed best.

2 Likes

There’s something I’ve always respected in him and manufacture at Naim over the decades - almost nothing is done for the sake of things and everything is for the sound and music.

Thanks Richard.

1 Like

A good shout on Roys part or no doubt we would be trying to un-gum ferrofluid tweeters as well as worrying about mids lol.

2 Likes

Blue Hylomar turned up today, so have installed the new Tweeters, all Torqued up to spec and they are sounding great. I did just change one so that I could compare with the old one that still works.

The old one to my Ears did sound brighter but a bit fuzzy, where as the new one is a lot cleaner and I know will improve over time.

2 Likes