Naim NBL repair of the mid-frequency speaker?

Have you had your Mids back from Russia?

Hi, unfortunately, the master received the speakers only 10 days ago and immediately after that he fell ill with Covid (((( I hope everything will be fine. I’ll let you know as soon as I get them back.

You can try to contakt a company in Sweden called Koral audio service. koral.se They can revire most off the speaker voice coils and fix loose treads. Most off the times you can disolve the glue on the spider and re center it. that works 99% off the times. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Charlie, What did you use to cut the mids ? I am thinking about getting a pair as the price is reasonable and trying them out.

good question, I would also like to know how the driver frame was cut.

Hi,
Mr Lommersum from skanspeak did the cutting. He pretty much used a standard metal saw with a frame. Sorry, dont know the precise english term. He did carefully cover up the membrane -although its an aluminum frame not affected by the magnet- to make sure no metal splinters get in touch with the inner parts of the drivers.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane. Just picked up from a previous post that details of the PAXO’s for DBL’s are being made available, can you please send me details.

Sorry, DBL, but what detail are you after and it’s being available by whom?

Sorry for not making myself clear. I was after the details for building Ron`s Paxo for the DBL. I picked it up from the DBL refurb posts.

I don’t have that and anyway I think that probably falls outside of forum AUP.

This is what I found :-

Ron Toolsie - I have made details available to Richard Dane.

Yeti - If you’re making details of Ron’s crossover available please forward them to me too.

Geko - Again, if details of the PAXO’s for DBL’s are being made available can you include me.

This is why the forum is essential, ideas shared with a possible fix for the NBL or DBL :+1:

Note the warning about NBLs though.
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/re-dbl-refurbishing-lf-cabinet-acoustic-foam/17862

send an email to me: my name @ gmail

1 Like

The challenge is, some of the components are not readily available outside and present owners who love their speakers are trying their best to keep their systems running optimally as they should, but the details from the past forum for DIY PXOs tested by some members are outside the purview of Naim since these do not come from Naim.

I guess it’s a calculated “risk” most owners will have to take. Think best to get in touch directly and privately with those members. It will also make things easier for Richard’s accountability and responsibilities as our Naim Forum moderator.

2 Likes

Agree.
Custom paxos are beyond the forum rules and only put Richard in an awkward situation.
You can send me an email if you want more details on the DBL front.
Stefano

1 Like

I love the DBLs for what they still do, and am happy for you, Stefano.

Wish you many many continued years of wonderful listening.

1 Like

@Charlie, the Scan speak Mids turned up today and as you can see they do fit but are very tight, so I will probably ease the Cabinet very slightly. I have been swopping them back and forth, but at the moment cant decide if one is better than the other, just different. I now need to cut them to size on the sides which I will do when I get a minute. Do you know if they should be Hylomard in. The old one`s seemed to be.

Hi Charlie, Scanspeak`s cut to size and installed. I decided not to take anything off the Cabinet, it is just a tight fit. Did you use any Sealant or Gasket when putting yours back. I think I need to wait for them to settle in before I can make a judgement on the sound. When I had the good old one in one and the new one in the other, depending which frequency you concentrated on, one sounded better than the other and then the reverse. Well at least I have now solved the problem of the dodgy one and await to hear how Nik_Nakone gets on.

7 Likes

Well I ordered a pair of these mid cones just in case will put them in a cupboard somewhere.