Naim NBL repair of the mid-frequency speaker?

Sexy… :sunglasses: :metal: the whole darn thing…

Wish you many eventual blissful and happy rhythmic sorties. These classics play anything as they were voiced for pure emotion in music. I’m always happy to see them. Perhaps I’d try and get a pair but their size, weight, driver and cabinet foam replenishments and set-up are moot. It’s why I always admire DBL owners here on the Forum and how they do all they can, to keep their classic brutes singing beautifully through time. Inspiration for us all. Thank you.

Cheers to all DBL, NBL and SBL owners.

3 Likes

Hi DBL

That really looks perfect. Congratulations, so well done. I like the way you cut the rims of the basket. Maybe give it some time to settle in before coming up with a reliable judgment call. I really hope these drivers prove themselves adequate for the task.
Many many greetings
Charlie

Btw I did not use some some new Hylomar when refitting my mids, but then there was still some old stuff left that I thought will do. I would probably wait a little until you are sure what’s going on …:wink:

Oh … and make sure you keep the original ones in any case :wink:

1 Like

Although I expect I’ll be selling my NBLs shortly and won’t need to face such issues, could I ask how you cut the speaker? Was it by machine or by hand? What you have done there looks like a really good job.

Also these speaker baskets usually have some form of lip or at least the outer rim is thicker presumably for stiffness, is this not being compromised?

Hi Charlie,

I must admit I was a bit nervous about cutting them and the last thing you need is shaky hands when doing the job. I did compare the uncut one to the cut one and there was a marked improvement. I will not use any sealant at the moment and anyway they are a pretty tight fit. Already the sound is starting to open up, so looking forward to hear what they can achieve over time. This journey has only been possible because of all your efforts and I thank you for that.

The Originals are safely stored away.

4 Likes

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your interest. I placed the old Driver on top of the new one and carefully lined up the mounting holes. I then used a Silver Metallic Sharpie to trace around the outer edge. I then protected the whole Driver up to the cut line with Masking Tape. I then used a thin Metal cutting blade in my Angle Grinder to cut to the outside of the line and then a file to take the last bit off and lastly removed all the Masking Tape and there you have it. Not a job for the faint hearted. I would not advise anyone to do it unless you feel pretty confident.

5 Likes

Hi Garyi,

Life is all about taking risks. The outer rim is thinner on these, that is the part that I took off and anyway Charlie’s were cut down by Mr Lommersum from Scanspeak and he would not of done that if it would compromise the Driver.

2 Likes

Well good to know because I have a pair coming :slight_smile:

OK how about the mass damper glued to the back of the driver, have you guys trying the new scanspeak midrange attached this as per the original naim mid?

Mario

Hi Mario,

Not sure what you mean by the mass damper. A Photo if you have one would help.

OK I must confess that I have never removed my dbl mid, and hopefully will never have to, but I have a damaged nbl mid that a friend had and there seems to be glue on the back of the driver where it looks like one of those brass weights were glued on. Naim always control vibrations on their speakers by adding damping weights made of brass and a strip of rubber in between. I figured that the glue was from that. I could be wrong though.

Back of nbl mid, something was obviously stuck there, is the dbl the same?

Hi Mario, as you can see there is nothing on the back of my Mids and I know they have not been changed as I am the second owner and previous owner got them direct from Naim from new. Maybe it was done on the NBL and not the DBL. just another mystery for someone to answer.

1 Like

This is interesting g as the NBL is a later design. Did the DBL have mass damper on the rear of the mid driver, or maybe it was an improvement in later models. The dead mid that I have is definitely from an nbl, could they potentially perform better than dbls in the midrange, Richard, would there be any one still at naim that may know?

Different designs - indeed, different lead designers too (Roy George for the DBL and Phil Ward for the NBL) so one may well have had a mass damper on the mid whereas one may not. I don’t know for sure, but, even though it’s a long time ago now, there’s probably someone at Naim who will be able to recall if you send them an email.

3 Likes

Gents, I do suspect it could be due to the voicing parameters for each speaker which decides things, so not that something was amiss or “additional” in the first place. If it’s there or isn’t, solder it up and press “play” and if it sounds off, then work needs to be done to bring them back to song. But it could just sound beautiful, as is, in which case, enjoy.

Naim are just an email, call, visit away.

Cheers

1 Like

Ordered up a pair of the Scanspeak mids. Now where’s that saw…

Willy.

2 Likes

Pretty confident I will make a pigs ear of it, lets hope my mids dont go wrong! I have the accent centre speaker here with what looks to be the same drivers as nbls, but I understand they are voiced differently. I wonder how differently though…

I believe the impedance and coils are different. IIRC, they are also different between the Axent and Axess.