Naim newby - completely lost on how to get started

Hi all, i’m Being very patient and have not switched anything on yet. I have had to buy an extra naim snaic din lead. So I hope to fire up a cd this week. I bought an aftermarket din to rca for my turntable. Standby.
Just to confuse matters I have a naim dvd unit for cd playing. which I did not realise the dvd had a built in amp and 5.1 surround but am hoping that will still give a simple stereo output.
And put out another thread for advice on speaker cable so against am hunting down 3m lengths of naim cable or DMN. Regards, Fletch

Do you still have the CD5? If so, I would use that in preference to what I assume is a Naim n-Vi.

I’m not really enjoying this Naim ride. Having paid £50 for a Naim Snaic 5 pin din cable so I can connect a Naim DVD player with. Naim Nac112.

I now find that there appears to be two types of 5 pin cable! I staggered and completely peed off.

Here’s a picture of the very subtle pin spacing mismatch.

Fletchf1

I have very little patience for these hi-fi problems. If I were in your shoes I would seek assistance from a local naim dealer - assuming that you have one within reasonable striking distance. A decent one will be more than happy to talk you through the various component types/ names and help identify exactly what you need to fire the system up and into action. You appear to have most of the boxes hence presumably only the odd cable required. My suggestion - it’s worth setting an hour aside and having a chat with your local dealer.

Peter

A SNAIC 5 is for connecting pre-amps to a PSU e.g. A Hicap to a NAC 112
What you should have bought is an interconnect cable. This has a different pin arrangement to a SNAIC.

See the FAQ for guidance on cabling.

1 Like

Fletch, this should help too.

I have read you helpful links above thanks.i understand that I need a din 5 180 degrees array. Not a snaic!

What isn’t so helpful is people are selling cables on eBay like below. Do I buy a snaic or not?

‘Naim Audio Snaic 5 Pin Din To 5 Pin Din Cable 180 Degrees’

Because many eBay sellers are stupid or crooks. It’s always best to do your homework first.

1 Like

If you want to ensure that you get the right cables I would avoid unknown sellers on ebay. Either buy genuine Naim cables from a Naim dealer, or go to a reputable company such as Flashback or Chord, who understand Naim gear. Tell them what boxes you have, and they will be able to supply the right cables.

9 Likes

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

That’s good advice… especially for a newbie

1 Like

Good experience with Flashback here too. I needed some odd cables and they were all correct and didnt cost the world.

It’s important here to note that cable suppliers such as Chord, Flashback etc… will only supply their own cables, not Naim ones.

2 Likes

Indeed, that’s what I had in mind when I said “genuine Naim cables from a Naim dealer”, but as well to make it clear.
I think one of the issues that keeps cropping up is that if you’ve just picked up some used Naim gear at a good price, it makes the cables appear a bit expensive to some. That’s all the more frustrating when you consider that the original purchaser would have been provided with all the required cables included in the price.
As for how much you need to spend to get things working nicely and sounding good, I’ll leave that discussion to someone else!

1 Like

Hi great purchase try and stick to naim cables the others will work but can change the sound. With std Naim cables you have a good base line to start from. That said…if you know what you need there is some very good shand naim cables floating around in the usual places. What speakers are you going to use??? The speaker choice is quite critical … get the wrong speaker and it will crush the sound…you are in the right place to ask which speakers to shortlist.

Good and bad news update.
Got my power, interconnect and speaker cables, and we have sound.
But not great sound as my DVD5 playing CD’s hunts on volume and occasionally has bursts of high and low dB levels. I have played many clean cds, and the problem is consistent.
I know it may be unconventional to just play cds on a DVD player which I am taking the signal from just the front pair of surround sound sockets. Is this the wrong output? Or do I need to connect the dvd5 to a tv so I can run the on screen menus to reset the output to just stereo rather than full 5.1 surround?
Any further advice appreciated, Christian

What outputs does the DVD player have? I run from a coaxial out of my player to the coaxial in on my Nova and that works fine.

That sounds like a hardware fault in the DVD player.

Yes you need to do that for 2ch use (the front channels of 5.1 are often heavily processed, including removing the deep bass and possibly some mono components of the signal. Typically anything below about 80Hz is directed only to the LFE channel only, however many of the dedicated AV processors (usually much more flexible than ones built into DVD players) allow a user defined LFE crossover point.

You need now a good source to enjoy your system. A second hand naim cd5xs for around 1k should be all you need.
Second hand nd5xs also.

cd5xs

Okay I will attempt the menus to set to two channel, many thanks

What happened with the CD5? I would use that in preference to the DVD5, which is not ideal as a CD player, even if it can sound pretty good.

Have you tried the RCA output on the DVD5? Depending on whether you have the multichannel analogue board fitted to your DVD5 this is may give better results if just using the player in 2 channel mode, or may help diagnose if there’s an issue.

You will definitely need a TV connection to go through the setup menus. Otherwise you have no idea how it is currently set up.