Naim Olive

Hello,

I used to use 72, Hicap, 250 and was awesome.

Also 82, Hicap, 250 was even more.

Thanks

5 Likes

Sure.
It’s understood the 250 would probably add an extra something.
However, we’re happy to stick with 140 - for the perfect symmetry - just three shoe boxes
Actually, the NAP140 - by itself - is pretty good

3 Likes

Kan’s version 1 or 2 need a stiff amp and a clear source and a very HQ preamp. In my opinion I would go for 82/Hicap/250, and a great record player!

3 Likes

Agree that Kans sound great with a quality signal but I also think one area that separates Kans/Briks from modern speakers is that a modern high quality speaker will have a level of refinement that helps prevent a bad signal sounding too much worse. Yes, you will clearly hear how poor it is, but it won’t make a complete meal out of it like Kans/Briks tend to.

1 Like

Basic question - I use nDAC/555DR via Hi-Line into 52.

The Hi-Line currently enters the 52’s analog input 3, which is ‘Tuner’ on the front panel input selector.

When I reconstruct the racks and gear (soon) I will have the pleasure of plugging the Hi-Line in again.

Can anyone advise what is the best input to use for signals coming from nDAC/555DR?

I don’t use the record function.

I have only a small useable volume range on the 52 from 7:30 to 9:00.

If one input gave a bigger volume range this would be great.

[I have a vague memory of seeing a post saying that on a 52 the analog input 6 (‘Aux’ on the front panel) is the best one to use - but that may be wrong.]

This question has been discussed before: Naim NAC 52 setup - #17 by PaulDavies

1 Like

I re-read the thread you linked to, and the thread on the old forum linked to from there, but there is nothing there that answers my question.

Apologies for not reading your post in full. By best, I assumed you meant best sound quality, not widest volume range, especially as that was the question I remember being discussed (which is what I linked to).

I think you might have to resort to trial and error if you can. (Not sure how easy it will be to reach round the back of your preamp to switch inputs.)

1 Like

All the inputs have the same sensitivity. Input 3 makes the most sense as it appears to be the simplest so this is what I use on my 52.

2 Likes

I used Input 3 for my CDS2 when I had a NAC52.

4 Likes

Thanks chaps, very useful info.

Jim

Can the NAP 180 power a pre-amp like the 110 and 160 do?

Yes, it does a good job too. :+1:

2 Likes

Nice system Jim!

1 Like

As can the NAP200… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Murmur I used the 180 to power first a 62 then a 72 before getting a Hicap

2 Likes

I found the addition of a hicap very significant. 72/140 || 72/200 is ok, but once the hicap is added I feel home.

5 Likes

I would say that adding any Naim PS to a Naim Pre, is one of the most significant upgrades available… :astonished:

4 Likes

Definitely. Adding the Hicap between the 72/180 made a big difference. Luckily for me my wife noticed it straight away :joy:

4 Likes

Another quicky - the NAPSC for say an 82 - does that work like a Hi-Cap and feed the signal through it before forwarding the signal onto the power amp, or is it out-of-band so to speak?

1 Like