Naim NAC 52 setup

Hi which input should I be using?

You have the wrong din plug. It should be a 180 degree (all the pins on one half of the circle) rather than a 240 degree. It will then fit any of the other inputs.

Thanks guys. I’ve contacted the manufacturer. This was really puzzling me. Glad you Naimees knew your sh**

:smile:

One would assume an Audio Note DAC2, judging by the OP’s profile.

Yes that’s right. Audio noted DAC 2 circa 2010

1 Like

From a discussion on the old forum, it seems there was a time when input 3 was considered to give the best sound quality because it had the shortest ground path on the PCB, but apparently it varies with PCB revision.

1 Like

Thank gus,

It’s all up and working fine now. Yes I was stupidly plugging in the wrong cable. It’s a 5 pin 180 degree DIN not a snaic connection.

Now that everything is setup my early impressions are that the NAC 52, (in almost the same system) is a tad more open sounding and brighter than the 552DR. THE 552DR from memory, was more liquid sounding with more detail. Although I cannot say I’m disappointed with the 52 at all. So far so good. Now it’s only been about 12 hours since everything has been plugged in. What sonic differences can I expect over the coming weeks?

Thanks
Khan

I’ve just had the NAC 52 serviced. I don’t believe it had been serviced since it left the factory in 2002.

I’ve plugged it in and I cannot notice too much of a difference as of yet. Perhaps I need to give it at least a few days of warm up. I am hearing a tad more coherence and there is a little more PRAT than before the service.

Can somebody please offer any advice on what I can expect in terms of sonic changes from a recap over the coming weeks?

I’d say a few weeks, from my 82 service experience

Thanks. What sonic changes did you hear please?
Also what was the overall difference after the few weeks or so of burn in?

There will be a definitive upgrade when warmed up after about 5-7 days and another one after approx 150h.
More dynamic , fast and authentic … you can call it PRAT :slight_smile:

I very much think about doing the same with my 52. but for me it included shipping from Germany to Uk. There are a lot of risky hands on its way. I am a little jealous as you are able to recap inside uk.
Did you send it to class-A?

Yes indeed it was serviced by Class A. I’ve purchased within Europe several times. The courier services were outstanding. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Especially Germany.

I wouldn’t buy or ship to Asia mind you. I sold a 250DR and it turned up with a big dent on the fascia and smashed plug. I imagine somebody opened up the case to check the contents and never bothered to pack the unit back properly.

I’m confident within Europe.

1 Like

After 24 hours the sound is a little more fleshed out. The Timing, OMG the timing. My last pre was the 552DR but I don’t believe I’ve ever heard Timing and rhythm like this before.

I’m beginning to think that the DAC and preAmp form a partnership. My Audio Note DAC 2 (2010) that I’m now using with the NAC 52 differs from the Audio Note DAC 2 (1997) I had on the 552DR. The rest of the system pretty much the same.

I’ll report back with changes, if any. The only caveat is, I do miss the warmer and more pronounced bass character of the 552DR a little. But the trade off is what I can only describe as perfect timing.

The lesson I’m learning once again is, there is ALWAYS a compromise in hifi.

3 Likes

Does anybody know the input impedance of a NAC 52?

There are specifications in the owner’s manual. Would that give you what you need?

Hi,

No the user manual doesn’t show the input impedance. I’m told the Olive series and Chrome bumper preamps were 100k ohm.

I presumed they were all 47k ohm.

So I’ve been told and shown from the manual that the input impedance is 100k ohm for the NAC 52

So for anybody who is following this thread I have discovered a few things.

My lean bass was a symptom of my DAC (tubes) and had nothing to do with the NAC 52. Although the service has really put a huge smile on my face. So I definitely recommend a service on out dated head units (pre).

The NAC 52 is an amazing piece of kit. I probably could not articulate what this amplifier does best. I guess the biggest compliment I could give it is that I am now listening to every song in full. Even songs that wouldn’t engage me in the past. This amp really is second to none for rhythm. It’s very fast without being sterile. It does sweet treble but can also bring out the attack of a harsh instrument as one would experience in live venues. It’s still relatively early days but I think this is likely to be my favourite piece from Naim thus far.

I have probably done about 30 hours of actual listening since the service and I feel as if the amplifier has settled in nicely.

I have also taken great care in the overall setup of the hifi rack, cables and especially improving the coupling of my speakers to the suspended wooden floor.

The 40th harbs shl5 are really shining with this setup. For anybody who thinks Harbeths cannot do speed I would suggest you get some thick granite plinths and solid open frame oak stands on top of the plinths. Seat the harbeths on top with small wood or the hardened rubber coasters supplied with hifiracks stands. Avoid sorbathane under the speakers. I cannot believe the difference a very rigid stand makes to these Harbeths.

I have just bought a couple of REL T5i’s to compliment the speakers and bring out the very low end. I cannot wait to experience the extremely well defined thunderous drums when a sub is managing the very low frequencies. I should have the subs integrated in a couple of days.

I will report back.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the posting.
Very much like to read your posts - I am a little biased, as I do have a very similar system. The 52 is really a fine piece of equipment.

1 Like

Ok so I’m a little confused. I am in need of some advice please. I have setup the 2 rel t5i subs. I tuned the crossover below the Harbs 40hz limit. Gain was set to bare minimum.

Initial impressions, the speed of the 52/135 seems slower and it’s not as rhythmic as without the subs. I then switched the subs off while still connected by the high level cable to the speakers. To my surprise I could still hear the subs. I believe they are acting as a passive radiator. To add to this the sounds still wasn’t as fast and exciting. I then disconnected the cables from the speakers completely and voila the prat returned.

I have put the subs next to each speaker on the inside rather than the outside (closer side walls).

Can I remedy this with positioning? I have to say it doesn’t seem likely.

Has anybody experienced this?