Naim Olive

Just put the 140 back in for extended listening. It feels quite nice so far. Speakers are a bit too revealing I think, or demanding perhaps. But it’s good fun to test 82/HC/140. Speakers are Spendor D9. Sources are NDS/555PS DR and Gold Note Mediterraneo.

2 Likes

There you go. My 3rd system, currently being used by my son.
Oddly i have a 2nd system exactly the same being used by my daughter.

19 Likes

Nice!

72/Hi-Cap are here. 250 should arrive later today. The 72/Hi need a service. The olive Hi-Cap is an early one with H&F transformer. I think the 250 is too but will check.

Sounding good so far with a CB110.

Quick question - these 729 boards - what are they for? I don’t have anything similar in the 32.5 and wondered if I can remove them. I’m only using vinyl via 323 phono cards.

3 Likes

1992 was the last year of H&F… AFAIK…

729 boards - @Richard.Dane - ??

NA729 boards

1 Like

Keep the NA729 (time align input/buffer) boards in place.

2 Likes

Tx,
I didn’t explain myself very well but seems you understood - I just thought that perhaps they only impacted line inputs to a digital source but obviously not

250 is delayed now - didn’t have the 3-to-4 pin cable with it :frowning:

Surprised how much I’m liking this 72/Hi though. I expected it to do the HiFi stuff better but really enjoying the music too - best I’ve had with a Hi-Cap - normally prefer them driven straight off the power amp. I had 72/140 in the past but really didn’t get on with it - too in your face, fast and also a bit muddy sounding. This is great though.

2 Likes

The DIN4 to XLR lead…?

Maybe xlr. Defo 3 pin

1 Like

The 250 - and 135, and 300, and 500 - inputs are all a 3 pin XLR… :thinking:

Mine is…

1 Like

I think I might have to leave Team CB and convert to Olive :smiley:

Although, I’ll never stop using 12/BD160/Briks in the office.

This is a lot more musically coherent than when I tried 12/32/32.5/42/42.5/62 with a dedicated PSU.

I’d like it to calm down the pace a fraction but the 110 is very agile and so hopefully the 250 will do that. Servicing should help too.

2 Likes

The 110 and the 250 are 2 very ‘different’ amps… :thinking:

Been a long time since I compared them but yeah.

Tried the 72 straight into the 110. I think it still makes more sense of the music that way (although the gap is narrowed), but wow, it’s just too frenetic, like it’s had a gallon of strong coffee. It’s what I heard a few years ago with an olive 140 and didn’t enjoy much. I recall my Nait 1 sounded ‘just right’ in terms of pace so that put me off olive gear and lead me down the CB road.

1 Like

You need to try a CB 160 (with 42 in my case) it’s just like a Nait 1 but goes louder!

2 Likes

Thanks Richard - I’ve got a CB160, which I do enjoy

72/Hi/250 up and running. Much more natural pace than with the 110 - the caffeine express train has gone and it sounds like a complete amplifier now.

Best HiFi I’ve heard from Kans. Musically, it’s better in some ways and less so in others, but I’ve still not quite got to grips with that side.

5 Likes

Swapped the serviced 250 for serviced CB160 earlier today and it gave the 250 a very clear lesson on how to make music. Not subtle at all - at least not to the way my brain works. And it was stone cold - the 160, not my brain. Still enjoying the 72/Hi so my Olive days are not over yet, although some of the balance is gone now.

1 Like

72/Hicap/250 with Akurate LP12 all settled down after service and sounding fantastic. Changed out the 3.5m of phantom to 5m phantom. Didn’t realise that an extra 1.5m of cable could make such a difference. I think I’m pretty much set now for a very long time.

29 Likes