Naim Olive

@SteveC - Congratulations on joining the 250 Owners Club… :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve just changed to a 52/Supercap and am still trying to get used to a different presentation after near 30 years with the 72.
The 72/HiCap hasn’t been disgraced in the slightest. That’s a nice combination along with the 250, and is regarded as a bit of a legend for a very good reason. You’re going to love it!

6 Likes

A purposeful mix of Olive and black boxes.

EE8, ND5XS2, DC1, Naim DAC/555DR, Hi-Line, 52, 135s, SL2s.

The 52 and Hi-Line have completed the sound.

I have stopped thinking of upgrades.

Everything is tickety-boo.

18 Likes

Quick question JimDog, can you please tell me if the narrow Quadraspire Q4 and wider Q4 EVO column poles / shelves are interchangeable?

1 Like

When I jumped at an opportunity to replace the 72/HiCap with a 52/SuperCap, I completely overlooked one of the ‘shoe-box’ series greatest advantages.

They free-up shelves for other items!

Luckily for me ( :roll_eyes:) the CD player has now gone kaput and I have been advised cannot be repaired. Had nowhere to put it now anyway!

13 Likes

@IanRobertM my wife stopped me connecting it up to the system by being very sensible.
She said if you’re sending it for service what’s the point of pulling the system apart twice in fact why not get the rest serviced at the same time. I didn’t need telling twice.

5 Likes

It’s taken me a while to get to this lot…

Need to get a shot in the dark :wink:

19 Likes

Yes, the various wooden and glass shelves I’ve got seem to work fine with both the thinner (19mm) and thicker (32mm) columns.

(None of my shelves are Q4L - obviously those are a larger rectangle and wouldn’t mix with Q4 shelves.)

[I’m not sure what the term EVO means in the Quadraspire naming system.]

Thanks Jimdog, I wasn’t sure if the wide curved and narrow straight uprights were compatible / interchangeable. Mine are standard shelves, as well, not the deeper Q4L. I may look for new bamboo EVO levels in a different finish and gradually make the change - my levels are darker finish and one side is sun bleached.

Q4 EVO are the base range, I believe now improved being made of machined bamboo as opposed to veneered MDF. The SVT are again solid bamboo ply, but with ventilation slats.

Just got a NAP140 delivered and installed. The snaic that came with it looks like this

However I found a black Naimbranded 4-4 snaic in my collections.

But what cable is this? It works as a snaic 4-4 and I haven’t really compared the Sound quality yet. Just plugged the Naim one in to be sure I used the correct cable.

1 Like

I don’t know. It doesn’t look like a real Naim SNAIC.

A genuine grey latching SNAIC looks like this;

A Naim black SNAIC will be better though.

1 Like

Thank you Richard. I am using a black snaic now

2 Likes

Very Nice :smile:
May I ask what make is your cabinet? That looks very tidy.

Its an IKEA BESTÅ BURS - that I’ve altered :wink:
I removed the drawers & used the drawer fronts as doors, then added 4 shelves of MDF from B&Q.
IKEA will send you small replacement parts for free so I got the little metal plugs they use to support the shelves for nothing.
Seems to work & keeps Mrs L happy - apparently I should have Fraim but she’s adamant that’s not happening :disappointed:

1 Like

That cable looks a lot like the cable that came with the ex-dem NAC42/NAP110 that I bought in 1980.

Who says you need a Fraim? What you have is functional and attractive. No Fraim needed.

2 Likes

My very simple system, a CDI and a Nait 2. Love it to bits.

32 Likes

That looks lovely. Simple, understated and classic.

1 Like

We won’t mention the Chromecast round the back so my missus can play Spotify!

1 Like

I shall light a votive candle for the continued good health of the laser mechanism in your CDI.

2 Likes