Naim Olive

I think I got my NAC52 from them. When it arrived never even opened the box just drove it straight to the Sheffield hifi spa. Aka Class A.

Ive bought once before ( hcdr), despite the description the mains lead was generic kettle and the snaic was generic. In they end they saw things my way, but…

Olive 250 versus newer 250.2 (or DR) isn’t a completely basic question, hence why other threads have long debates on it. As an olive owner, I’d accept that the 250.2 is tighter (esp ‘at 11’), more neutral, more detailed and quieter. For me, the net improvement has not swayed me though - though I did see a cheap 500 on eBay recently…

My 250 looks rough too, despite being serviced a few years ago, but I don’t mind that.

3 Likes

I think think that 250.2 may be better. Albeit it’s not olive.
Id only be intrested if it was a small premium over a decent Olive 250.

2 Likes

That’s very fair. At the moment, eBay suggests a recently-service olive 250 (or a never-serviced olive 250 plus the cost of a full service) may well cost just under £1000. A serviced 250.2 costs £1200-£1600, as far as I can see - they may get cheaper now that they can no longer get upgraded to DR level but they haven’t done so yet. A 250DR looks to cost more like £2500.

A 500 with a small scratch just sold for just £5,500…

2 Likes

Trying to keep the rebuild of my second system in perspective. Trying.
Yes, a 140 ( serviced) is more than enough. But happy to be at £1000 for a decent olive 250. And yes, a recent class A service would be a benefit.
As you have noted a 250.2 ( unserviced) appears to start at £1500.
I’ll keep my eye open and see what is about. Im a bit fussy, i want a proper naim box and the bits and a loved 250. Not a battered one, that the owner has no idea about. Too many sellers have no idea about the history of what they are selling.

2 Likes

You may find that a good 140 is easier to locate. Not being so ‘popular’… :thinking:

And i was wondering :thinking:, if 2 off 140s might be better than a 250?
You know, using the whole transformer to drive just one of the two channels on each amp.

I would doubt it… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Id hope so too. But, the engineer in me looks inside the 2 boxes and wants to work out the differences. Transformer, caps, boards etc.

As an aside, the old 2 off HC vs a single SC discussion always rattles on. So, i was wondering ( burndy aside) whether what is inside a SC was double a HC. :thinking:

1 Like

No, photos will confirm this. The SC has just one, larger transformer, with multiple taps.

This is a DR version, I believe - with the 7 (or is it 14 - ?) DR modules on the left.

The numerous dr regulators will feed all the rails to say a 252 (or in Olive speak a 52). But, when feeding a 282 or 82 it’s just 4 ? rails. All of which we know.

So, the SC has 2 big reservoir caps, 2 HCs will have 4. And the transformer in a single HC is 500va. And sodding heavy.
I wonder if the SC transformer is more than 1000va ??
I do get the benefit of a single earth that 2 HCs dont have, but apart from that…

I did listen to a SCdr on my 282. And could hear nothing beyond 2 HCdrs.

Anyway, back to stuff that is 20 plus years old and Olive.

1 Like

Quote - 13 x 24V outputs, 2 x 12V output.

Not sure what the VA rating of the SC transformer is - but it looks bigger than the HC.

Naim Supercap

When an SC is connected to a (2)82, two SNAIC5’s are used (as with two HC’s) - so that is 4 x 24V ouputs only.

A SC cannot substitute for the NAPSC. Its equivalent output (via a single SNAIC-5 - ?), is at a different voltage and is for a (2)52 only.

:expressionless:

I’d like to think the SC transformer is 1000va or more. But then again it would be super heavy.
Moving the HC always catchs me out. Yes, you expect a 140 to be a bit lumpy and the 72 is full of air. But then you attempt the HC.

Visually, the SC transformer looks to be around 250-size - ish… :thinking:

Find a nice well-cared-for 52. You know you want to even if it will make the HICAP surplus to requirements :grinning:

1 Like

The system you show here bears no relation to the items shown on your Member Profile.

They can’t both be right!

You are both a bad person and correct!

1 Like

Which 250?
Thats anywhere from 400va to 1000va. Just pick the 250!

1 Like

A 72/140 is a good mix and great value. if you already have a Hicap, it will be even better.
Olive 250 versus 140 in the setup looks easy, because a 250 is such good value, but it is bigger. Given the comments about not taking the Hicap because of space, the 250 option may not suit everyone.

I absolutely agree that a 52 is wonderful and a great match with olive SC and 250 - it’s what I use in my main system and suggests a remarkably good ‘second’ system. However, the market knows how good it is, so 52s are harder to find and vastly more expensive than 72, 82 or 250. It’s also means 3 big boxes, not 2 or 3 little ones.

4 Likes