Naim Olive

Ever since I placed the system into a cupboard and was concerned about heat build up. There’s very little ventilation so I leave a door open when listening.
We got sick of looking at black boxes and wires etc, the room is so much nicer now!
Before & after (I’ve since changed the rack & the 52 had its own shelf):

14 Likes

At least you’ve had the good sense to leave the LP12 out of the cupboard! It looks classy!

What wood is the plinth - it looks quite similar to a Simon Price cherry plinth that’s on my second LP12 supplied recently by Cymbiosis.

1 Like

:+1: It’s a Linn stock walnut, lovely though!

15 Likes

I would say a couple of hours. 250’s are quite good at self warming… :smiley:

I think that the plethora of independent plinth suppliers has caused Linn to up their game with their own plinths.

But I think that they buy in the plinths, rather than making them in their own Glasgow factory. (I may be wrong!)

And thank goodness that they seem to have stopped painting the ‘skirt’ of the plinth black. (I could never understand why they did that!

1 Like

Yes, those painted bottoms never looked great I thought.
Plinth is about 5 years old (may be older, time flies by!).

I liked the system on show except there were too many boxes, esp with non matching radikal on its side. I reckon three is ideal, four ok, and five too many for asthetic purposes :grin:

Problem is, it wouldn’t work if one was taken away, and it sounds bloody good :rofl::rofl:

I’ll see if I can get the radikal put inside an olive box.

Seriously having a lounge that looks like a hi-fi dealers has had its day.

Less on show is the way forward, or if on show just a lot less boxes, it’s a lot neater!

3 Likes

If you put the Radikal on it’s side somehow in the cupboard (right hand side) you could move CD down and have the 52 on it’s own shelf.

1 Like

Youre right, much neater and less distracting.

1 Like

Yes, I mentioned in the post earlier that there’s a different SO stand in there now & the 52 has its own shelf. The 135’s sit on top of each other (turned off in this quickly grabbed poor picture!) whilst the CDX sits on top of the S’cap. The CDX isn’t used much so again is kept off when not in use. I may return the Radikal to its side to separate these though.
Because these shelves are quite tall I’m trying to think of a modification to give more space between the 135’s.
Sorry for the ramblings, I trust you get my drift though!

9 Likes

Did they not make a 5-shelf version? Probably hard to find now. I still have a cheaper Target version from the same period but doubt it sounds as good.

Yes I’m keeping a look out for something better :+1:

1 Like

Couple of battens of wood on top of the bottom 135 would move them slightly apart but would be better than nothing.

Or move the Radikal upright down the side then move one 135 onto bottom underneath.

1 Like

My Naim Olive system: CDS2/XPR Nac 72 Scap DR 3X Nap 250 in passive tri-amp.

29 Likes

Yes painted black would look ok. I was thinking of building a small wooden frame to fit over the bottom 135, so just resting on the shelf.
Yours is a simpler idea though!
:+1:

1 Like

Nice!
So are they black ash Briks sanded back?

And what’s the tiny pretend olive box, or are you not allowed to say here?

Naim Headline Olive version

1 Like

Oops, sorry, I really didn’t think that was a genuine Naim product! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, the Briks were originally made of black ash. I bleached the black paint with acetone and cabinetmaker’s steel wool (00). Then I used cotton wick for the finish. I’m going to use clear wax. In addition to the supports I raised with bases of 7cm in birch plywood sealed with Briks, for reasons of perception of listening height with Tweeters.
The wall hanging with landscape is useful for an acoustic correction.
Yes, it’s a Naim Headline Olive headphone amp.

4 Likes