Naim Olive

Normal, for Naim.

Understand, just different to how the 72 was - and if I cast my mind right back different to the 32.5

Concentrating now on listening and enjoying it

The sound may differ, but the gains of the 82, 72 & 32.5 are the same.

2 Likes

It is on the Nac 72 ,where there could have been changes done to the CD input.
And it is also on the Nac 72 where the Tuner input is better sounding.

1 Like

After an evening of jumping from song to song I am happy. The 82 is (to my ears at least) a definite update to the 72. Looks great in the dark too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I agree ,a big upgrade from Nac 72 in every way.
It’s possible to slow down the volume pot motor on the Nac 82,by a trimpot inside.

2 Likes

interesting, I did notice that a single press of volume up was a huge increase in volume.

1 Like

The steep acceleration of volume was a challenge with my Nait 1 and 2 also because of the channel imbalance at low volumes.

Until I changed my source to a RME dac, in which I can lower the signal output to 77,5 mv instead of the normal 2V. Now the 1 is balanced even at night time volumes :smile:.

My 82 didn’t have the imbalance, but I wish I had the RME at that time. It had been much easier the find the right volume.

The 82 + several other olives are tunes to an input sensitivity at 75mV. The tolerance for input V is in many cases much higher, so no harm done in using a modern (2V) source, but the volume knob gets very reactive

2 Likes

As with people in another thread I also notice the imbalance between channels at very low volumes. Fortunately the 82 has a balance control. While middle irritating this does give an excuse to turn the volume up - so not all bad.

CD3.5 + Nait3… I had the same system from 1999 to 2012, and I kinda wish I’d kept it! Such a killer combo.

2 Likes

This is exactly the year that I got mine. I never felt any need to “improve” on that.

2 Likes

You were right…imho.

Olive Supercap is on it’s way to me. Excited.

10 Likes

An old pic of the olive system I had about 20 years ago.

NAC72 + NAP180, CDX and Diapason Micra’s on Target HR60 stands.

14 Likes

Supercap is now connected. System sounds better than a single HiCap. Feels better controlled on bass and more open in general.

Sitting and thinking how much better is a 52.

Also wondering if I should stop here and move to something more modern. Now have 72/HC/140 and 82/SC/250. Time to move on?

2 Likes

If, I say IF you decide to move on I’d wait for the next step to a 552/300 both DR. I enjoyed my 252/250DR but unless that is your final destination I would stay with the excellent sc/82/250 combination and enjoy that while saving the pennies for a significant leap. Of course pre owned bargains may come up in between times and it is hard to resist (I find). :rofl:

2 Likes

I am not rushing into moving on but feels like a natural end to buying Olive. It’s nice now all the boxes are the same size - I’m a bit like that, but my main source is a ND5X2 so now the colour issue is on my mind.
Still it sounds amazing, both my systems do, so for now I’ll enjoy them.

1 Like

FWIW, I am not the only one who found replacing 82 with 52 was a big upgrade for words like detail, air, subtlety, open and clearly positioned treble and so on, and with no less (but also no more) infectious boogie.

However…

I have NDX2/XPSDR feeding my 52. The old 82 is in Tasmania, where it sits between ND5XS2 and olive 250. Before shipping, we tried swapping things around.

ND5XS2/52 was overall not better to my ears than ND5XS2/82, while NDX2 (with or without PS) and 82 were only marginally better than ND5XS2/82. It took the 52 to show that the NDX2 was a good deal better than the ND5XS2, but it did so pretty clearly.

IMO, your approach is keeping a good balance. I hope you like the result.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. Made me think that if I want to carry this onto newer/better amps then my current source may be a limitation.
Thoroughly enjoying it tonight.

1 Like