Naim Olive

But you need the radio stations to use him - here in Germany… bit rare :smirk:

1 Like

Still got FM in the UK for now. Not sure if I would use it - but it looks so nice

1 Like

I like the odd numbered WDR stations, Eins Live, WDR 3 and 5. Which doesn’t help you if you live outside of their range or have a different taste, though.

From Hamburg here - NDR is a bit less exiting than WDR :joy:

1 Like

We’re lucky here in Seattle to have several independent, well-run, low-powered fm stations playing a great variety of music and programming.

3 Likes

I find Eins Live a bit irritating, but WDR 3 and 5 are good choices. By default, we almost always have WDR 2 or 4 on in the car, also for the traffic reports if we are in range in NRW. When I stray further south for work, HR, BR and SWR have similar offerings, as do the various NDR stations when we head to the coast or the islands.

There are many other good, but sometimes obscure local stations all over Germany.

Thanks to Internet radio, almost anything can be found these days.

Strangely, I have never warmed to DAB (or DAB+ today) because reception is either excellent or irritatingly patchy.

1 Like

Living close to Lower Saxony I can relate to that. I’ve never felt the urge to tune into any of the NDR stations for a longer period of time.

Yes, Eins Live can be that, unless you are listening to Plan B. It’s the favorite part of their program for my son and me. In the car I usually listen to WDR 5, between 7 and 8 in the evening I switch to WDR 3 and listen to some Jazz music.

1 Like

NAC 82 arrived today, quickly ran home at lunch and plugged it to warm up. Did have a quick listen, not enough to judge SQ but enough to notice that in the tiniest little turn of the volume control it goes from quiet to loud - if it were a clock then moving from 6 to 7 goes from too quiet to too loud. Normal or not? Source is the DAC v1 - which has just been moved from the 72 which was fine.

2 Likes

Yep, absolutely normal. Apparently, Julian liked his music LOUD! :laughing:

1 Like

With a Digital Source, this is Naim normal for pre-amps of this generation, in my experience… :slightly_smiling_face:

Will be much more workable with the Phono input.

These Naim pre’s predate CD players, with their much higher output levels.

When the Nac 82 was introduced there was the Naim CDS and the CDI was introduced the same year as the Nac 82,so I think it depends on that it sounds better to have it this way.

What input did you use on the Nac 72 ?

Used CD on both the 72 and now on the 82. Using DIN output on the DAC - again same as I was on the 72.

I use the tuner input on my 72 for CD.

My Naim dealer advised me it was the best input as it has the shortest routing.

I never doubt his wisdom.

2 Likes

It might be that the CD input is altered on your Nac 72,I also prefered the Tuner input on the Nac 72 as @Wugged_Woy

2 Likes

Will try the tuner input on the 82 tonight, still need to have a chance to sit and have a proper listen. Have some ironing to do, so will combine 2 joys in my life!

The NAC82 was derived from the NAC52 - which began its design and development firmly within the Vinyl era, I think…

Of course ,Analogue Rules Okay.

Sounding good, makes no difference to the volume if I use the tuner or CD input. Just have to turn it up very gently.