Naim Olive

Another by Andy Cahill (I think) the NAC102. I wasn’t involved in the production/direction of this picture but I did use it in some of the material I produced.

9 Likes

Hi, @Fruitloops. Welcome, that looks very cool - and with the other two half width boxes you are thinking about it will be even better.

@Debs. As mentioned, I wanted to ask you about the olive 72/HiCap/180 you still own - are they in use in a 2nd system with a green Rega turntable, I think I saw in another thread? Do you have many cassette tapes for the Nakamichi?

1 Like

Yes & yes.
2nd system is in an upstairs room, it’s a bit of a lounge room with a telly to include an A/V connection with the DVD player. It’s very cosy and snug up there on a cold winter night.

Nakamichi is presently off duty and residing in it’s box. Have about 100 tapes, various, recorded over the years going back to the late 70s. Only about a dozen or so are pre-recorded :shushing_face:

My downstairs main system doesn’t have television, although that may change soon.
Some ongoing developments should hopefully improve the cosy-snug factor downstairs soon.

BTW, there’s a beautiful full moon tonight, and just saw a bat fly past :full_moon_with_face: :bat:

:grin:

5 Likes

Good to hear from you @Debs, I wanted to let you know that I have cleared my schedule to finish the bat drawing on Thursday. Obviously, you were given a vision of this future event. :grin:

Nice that you have 2 systems from different naim era’s. I still have my old Yamaha cassette deck, and every now and then I plug it into the system for a nostalgic trip.

You are lucky if you can separate your TV from your hi fi - into a different room. How do propose to cozy your room?

I don’t know if you saw, but my day started quite well with a like from Charlie H! :blush:

You are right, the moon is full, I might grab a photo. :bat:

Cheers @GeoffC…might try and take a better photo next time! Lol!
I’m already on the look out for a hicap and also looking for an attenuating cable to give the volume a more usable range :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There are plenty of people on here who can give you better help with that than I. However, I would advise you to be careful with Olive HiCaps when buying second hand, because you need to be sure that any unit you buy has not been ‘modified’ but serviced by naim or recognised dealer.

1 Like

Yes, that was my worry so I will have to curb my enthusiasm just a little bit before pulling the trigger!
I know paid a little over the odds for both my units as they came from Naim dealers who knew the provenance.

1 Like

That was the perfect answer I was hoping to read. Getting a ‘preloved’ Olive HiCap is an exciting quest, good luck! :crossed_fingers:

Anyone listening to an olive Headline at 12:00 would go deaf!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the old brochure Geoff.

Why did Naim offer an active slimline system despite Julian’s advice that a higher passive amp was better than a lower active amp pack?

1 Like

@snarfy you are probably correct about the volume, the photographer made that call!

As far as the slimline system goes, that was a case of promoting a more affordable range to new customers at the time, and eventually purchasers might consider an upgrade to the bigger boxes.

1 Like

@Debs The drawing is almost finished - I had considered posting a screenshot of the incomplete version but decided not to until I am fully happy with it. :crossed_fingers:

I keep finding naim (design) stuff I haven’t seen for a while. I am quite organised, there just is a lot of it!
Yesterday I found a pair of unused naim speaker badges which I picked up from the factory, a long time ago! I was going to put them on my iBL’s but decided against it, I will post a photo of them on Friday.

You have new speaker cable, how is that sounding?

1 Like

It does appear to sound slightly more refined than naca5, nothing unpleasant to mention.
Not a lot in it, the big benefit of KS-1 is the wonderful flexibility, that if it’s something to be concerned over, but the speaker cable dressing is very easy with it.

Over 3 weeks since fitting now, about time i changed back to naca5 to check the diff.
You never know i may hear something i’m missing. can’t think wot tho’ :thinking:

1 Like

I was looking for some pictures of my old set-up with the 82/HiCap/160 in it, but nothing publishable yet. KS-1 is very thin so it should be easy to push into the places you want it to go.

That’s the thing with changing things back, it might give the result you don’t want to hear. I always tend to leave a change for several months so everything is settled in. Do you have NACA5 with your Olive set up?

1 Like

@Debs screenshot of work in progress was here!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s why i needed 5 meter long of KS-1…

The naca 5 i had downstairs was 9 meters which is far too long after moving the fraim and SBLs closer together, so i borrowed the upstair system’s 4 meters of naca5 which works if i drape the cable directly to one SBL (without hiding it behind the wooden fire-surround) which is fine temporary but i don’t want to see the cable there permanently.

One naca5 run far too long and other a bit too short! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@Debs Ah, I see that makes sense.

I have used about 7m+ Black NACA 5 for many years and it was never too long as I have always kept the hifi a good distance away, (usually opposite) and never in between the speakers. When I moved to my current Victorian apartment in 2017 it was too short, as it needs to run around a big bay window so I needed 10m and it had to be White!

By the way, thank you for the playlist inspiration today :smile:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve had a CDX2, but how could they get the LED display to show 1.33 with the door open?

Claude

I think you can’t, but I guess Andy double exposed the photograph to get the time.

1 Like