Naim Olive

And also with the early NAC552s…

ah… you know what that was it. A 552.

Now I remember. The early CD 555 came with a nice plastic one. ( which I still use it to date ) :slight_smile:

Olives from my archive - these were taken by Andy Cahill / Photoworks for a naim newsletter.

17 Likes

I assume the second photo shows an active setup? My guess would be CD3.5+FC. 92+FC, IXO, 90x2…

Often fancied a shot at that, and I would be able to complete the set with a NAT03 :grin:

1 Like

@suzywong The image was called the naimactiveroom before I renamed it for posting!

There is a graphic that goes with it - I will seek that out and post.

1 Like

Geoff, the rack looks familiar!

I hasten to add; the ‘PROJEKT’ rack certainly knew how the kill the spirit and funk of any component unfortunate enough to be placed upon it :joy:
Perhaps this is what inspired naim audio to invent the fraim?

8 Likes

And is that a Headline I see at the bottom. I’m impressed by the setup…all the lights are on and not a mains cable in sight! :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

You do have very sharp eyes!

More likely, I can recognise too many olive boxes, coz I’ve got some just like em!

So all function and no funk!

Just found this olive headline picture that was also used in a newsletter.

16 Likes

@suzywong Here is a low resolution image of The Active Difference spread.

I will post a higher quality image when I can grab the original, rescan it and time allows.

6 Likes

@Debs what was under the ‘cats design’ cover - another turntable? Is that a CDi? A music buddy of mine has my old CDi, and it was still sounding great when I last visited him before Christmas 2019.

I see a ‘masterplug’ - I used one of those for many years too.

1 Like

@suzywong It was a set built in Andys studio so hiding the cables was easy! The floor was hand painted and slotted together - I think we moved a few ‘planks’ around for an even coverage. Initially I wasn’t keen on having the candle, but I changed my mind when it was lit, as it helped break up the wall area and improve the colour warmth and lighting.

1 Like

It’s an earlier incarnation of my LP12.
And yes a CDI player, all the olive components in the picture i still own, hicap, NAP180, 72. The other boxes are hicap2 (for prefix PS), an Armageddon2 (traded-in), and on the middle shelf of the target stand is a Nakamichi ‘Cassette Deck One’ which still works fine.

My CDI sadly passed away a few years ago but continues to lie in state within its original naim audio cardboard sarcophagus buried deep in the hidden depths of the spare bedroom. The cats and i continue to worship Osiris in hope of an afterlife :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

@Debs I agree with your comments, thank you for the information. Maybe I should get a cat to distract me from posting here too often.

1 Like

CDX promo picture taken by Andy Cahill / Photoworks

10 Likes

@suzywong Here is the Active Systems Connections graphic - I created this image from a PDF I have of the newsletter. An NAT03 was shown as an additional source to the CD3.5, though in my view, showing a 7 box system would have been fine!

1 Like

The Olive headline was a cute little box. Some very nice pictures here.

2 Likes

Higher Resolution version of The Active Difference spread, image from the Naim News 1998 PDF.

5 Likes

My first foray into the Olive series for about 15 years, wanted to simplify my setup to a 72 and 140 with a Klimax DS Renew and SBLs…loving it!
Next up will be a hicap and headline :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes