Naim power consumption cost

Fuse the in the 250. The fuse initially just looked dark but in the last two cases the glass shattered.

I see. Very odd and must be frustrating not to get a resolution, as this usually indicates some kind of fault with the unit. However, one case where this can happen without a unit fault is if the power cable plug is not fully seated in the IEC socket. It can then arc if it moves, and the fuse blows. Happened to me once

Hi I did check after each blown fuse box that all power leads were firmly plugged in.

Remember there is an inrush current that is higher on pretty much every electronic device than the rated consumption. If your mains is slightly on the hot side (edging over 5% above nominal), that could play a factor. Naim transformers are rated at +/- 10% at least and most mains (caries by country) has a similar tolerance. But that doesn’t mean 264v instead of 240 is good.

If fuses are blowing regularly, in the unit or at the CU, I’d strongly suggest testing the mains voltage.

1 Like

Thanks a good suggestion. We have an old fashioned fuse box and the plan is when my stepson qualifies as an electrician we will get him to put in new consumer unit.

Is that a photo of Coniston on your forum icon. RWC?

Ask him to instal two separate ones, one for the HiFi only. Also use Type C breakers instead of the usual Type B and you will not experience tripping when you turn on your Naim boxes due to their high inrush current.

1 Like

Hi JimDog. It is Keldas which is a low hill overlooking the head of Ullswater, between Patterdale and Glenridding. Keen walkers might have seen a drawing of Keldas on the inside cover of Wainwright’s Eastern Fells. We go most years to Patterdale and/or Keswick.

1 Like

Thanks that’s very helpful. Will take that suggestion on board.

I live in the capital city of the next county down from the one of which you speak, so it’s easy for us to nip up to the Lakes many times each year.

My old Mac Pro must have used over 500W/hr and certainly pumped out some heat.

Not used it for a few years and suspect the new M1 Mini will trounce it with considerably less power usage than my Intel Minis.

So thats like a single piece of toast in a toaster continuously. Certainly good heater. I just looked up the correct model, it now shows at potentially over 1.2kW

In contrast, Mac mini M1 is max 150W

I think it was using around 850W/h with four internal 2TB drives and a fancy Radeon graphics card - lovely machine, but energy usage alone made it silly.

[quote=“Alley_Cat, post:52, topic:21471, full:true”]

Sadly, 200w of power for several servers does not equate to 200w of free heat. If it did, the servers wouldn’t power on or do anything as 200w would be 100% converted to heat energy. I get a lot for my 200w. 20 disks, 18 low power cores spread over 4 hosts, a router and a switch and a KVM. It doesn’t make a dent to the chilly room in winter. Still, it is not as computationally dense per watt as it could be and could do with an overhaul but right now, it’s the tool that puts food on my table and I’m not inclined to muck with it.

Although I intend to go on with 24/7 Naim power on in the new home once complete, I’m fairly certain that that and the 24/7 test rig will be offset by a host of passive eco measures being implemented to massively reduce the heating/cooling and lighting costs of the new home.

I worked with a guy who was a bit of an IT geek, he told me years ago he used to live in a small freezing bedsit. He built his own pc and in the mornings before he’d leave for college he ran a program he wrote which calculated Pi to something like 25 decimal places, on return in the evening it’d still be going but his bedsit was nice and toasty.

1 Like

Depends on when. My single PC in the 90s would keep my small room in Uni toasty and warm in Yorkshire in winter to the point I had to have the window open most of the time. ATX power supplies pumped out crazy amounts of waste heat back then as did disks. And if you were home using them, the CRTs would heat a small room quite nicely. Heck, an older LCD I have can heat a small room pretty fast.

I think the last time I had gear inefficient enough to keep my room warm was probably going back as far as 2010 at the latest.

I did 1000 decimal places on my Sinclair ZX81 :slightly_smiling_face:
Took over 24 hours IIRC in “Fast” mode.

I have never tried this, I just use 3.142 :0)

I suspect a few of us 24/7 Naim people need to quickly look into other eco measure before our partner notices the Naim is always on, and realises the energy cost

I’m not sure partners, male or female, are that stupid. Anyone surely knows it’s costing money and everyone should be equally conscious of the need to reduce consumption.