Naim Powerline?

I just bought a used Supercap DR for my Superline. The HiCap DR and the NAT05 both came out of my system to make room for it. So I put the Powerline Lite’s from those two bits of kit onto my Nait5i and CD5i in the bedroom. The improvement is not small. I imagine a full fat Powerline would only improve things again.

1 Like

I thought they were guaranteed as in if you don’t like it sends it back?

Depending on the laws in your country and the dealer’s terms of services, but yeah. In the EU, there is a 14 day return guarantee by law for goods purchased via the internet, and most dealers apply the same to brick-and-mortar sales.

Also depends on the individual relationship to the dealer. I have a good and long-standing one, so I talk to them instead of using their online shop. But of course this is depending on the individual situation

The impact of a Powerline on any device is boosted by a dedicated mains/switchless sockets etc which cost about half the price of the Powerline. I even have one on my old Unitiqute2.

If they are so good why are people selling them, there must be better alternatives out there, but we cannot advise on the forum.

1 Like

You can advise all you like. 3rd party power supplies and cables that carry DC like burndy and snaics are off limits, as well as fuses in the Naim units.

People selling their PowerLine proves nothing though. There’s many possible reasons for that. They may think their new 10,000 pounds power cable is better (who wouldn’t), they may have realized it does nothing, they may need money, they may have bought a PowerIgel Plus, they may be moving to a different country with different plugs, they may have died and their heirs are selling them, …

2 Likes

I’d guess many are where they have bought a product which includes a Powerline, when they have a Powerline already. So for example , they own an XPS DR to which they have added a Powerline. They then purchase a 555PS which has a Powerline in the box, so one of the PLs becomes surplus to requirements.

2 Likes

This as well, was the case for me

So you don’t buy any second hand gear b/c there is clearly a better alternative. Wow.

Naim don’t like other competitive brands being talked about on the forum, especially those that might sound better. I guess the LP12 has being on here for many a year. Second hand Naim gear is generally a safe bet. Indeed my system has mainly used gear in it.

I’ve not noticed that, Chord electronics are regularly recommended, DCS is regularly recommended, plenty of threads suggest alternative amps even.

Where are you getting this from? I mean, people are sometimes creating long threads documenting their transitions away from Naim, there are threads named “Life after Naim” and so on

Naim might have issues with those who feel they need to “evangelise” people away from Naim – and rightly so! The rather persistent and forceful pushing of certain alternatives can be irritating – even for someone who has, for instance, chosen a certain DAC with a different name…

But Naim, I think, is also aware that talking about different brands keeps this place lively, and probably the Naim Forum therefore produces more business for Naim than loss of business because of the mentioning of competitors… I feel Naim is quite liberal actually.

2 Likes

Indeed, people coming back to celebrate here their “Life after Naim” also rather irritating – what’s the point?!

I think it’s well known that all audio forums are populated with a proportion of industry shills - as well as real evangelists…

It’s cool that it can be discussed and might be interesting. I don’t have to read it. But in any case as far as I can tell Naim is not doing anything to silence discussion of non-Naim brands on this forum, just like you also wrote. Sometimes things might be going too far if some threads are used to establish a forum-within-a-forum while letting Naim shoulder the costs, so drawing a line occasionally is OK with me

1 Like

Sadly they don’t like the mention of 3rd party power supplies, and other alternative power supplies, commenting that my 202/200 sings differently than the HC or FC.

I doubt that DAC mentioning will no longer be an issue, since Naim no longer sell them. My March DAC, which is based on the Khandas Toneboard is (or was) a real bargain compared to other products, it is also sadly discontinued.

I use Titan STYX mains cables, they might not allow that either. See how long this comment stays on before it is removed by an administrator.

The ban on discussion of non-Naim power supplies and the like is entirely separate from the issue of non-Naim equipment generally and as the forum rules clearly explain, it is banned, along with DIY and unauthorised modifications, due to potential safety and liability issues that could result.
That aside, Naim are very tolerant of discussion of HiFi equipment generally. They are a strong enough brand to bear comparison without feeling under threat, and the forum clearly generates a lot of interest and income for them, so on balance I’m sure they are happy to allow a wider discussion of HiFi in general.

5 Likes

It’s also worth noting that a specific manufacturer has asked not to be mentioned here, and Naim accede to that request and remove references. Unfortunately you have to find out who it is by having a post removed as they can’t name them without breaking the request.

1 Like

That’s so intriguing that one wants to sprinkle brand names into one’s posts. Even more intriguing is why a manufacturer would do such a thing