Naim Prefix / power upgrade

Dear All,

I recently bought a lp12. Always wanted to own one and whilst it is a 1981 stock with original power supply, Grace arm, OC9, Cirkus bearing - I absolutely love it!

Being able to play my old vinyl is fantastic and I have already added a few new records to the collection. Anyway - I digress…

Future upgrades (on a budget):

• I need a new power supply and whilst I would love a linn 2 or above, I am on a budget. I am seriously considering a non-linn alternative, located within the plinth.

Looking for recommendations around £350-£450 (including the internal brace).

• currently using a X-LPS pre phono, been looking at a Naim prefix S. I know I need to get a hi-cap to power it. So looking to spend around 550-700 total spend (non-DR).

Any other recommendations?

I understand that the prefix might need a service (re-cap, black cable and z foil upgrade). Who in the UK would be able to do this? Naim service dept I assume? But are there any authorised alternatives?

My system is a NAC-N 272 with a NAP100.

Would really appreciate any help / advice.

Jakob

I’m not sure whether Darran at Class A services the Prefix but you could ask him. However, for your budget it’s probably best to look for a later or serviced Prefix with the Black SNAIC and RF mods already done and also look for a HICAP that’s still within its service interval.

1 Like

Have you considered a Mose Hercules II or Ultimate?
We have a Hercules II on my wife’s LP12 and it’s excellent. Moved it from mine when I upgraded to a Lingo IV.
Check out Stamford Audio’s website.

VP Revolution does 33/45 and is compatible with all bearings at a very reasonable cost.

Darran serviced my Prefix some time ago.

2 Likes

I suggest that you speak to James Allney at TomTom Audio in St Albans. If he doesn’t have a Prefix in stock, he will probably be able to find one, as he has great contacts, and is able to find all sorts of hard-to-find things.

Brilliant - thanks all! I’ll let you know how it goes.

J

Linn Pre Cirkus
and Lingo mk 1

Just to add here, a Prefix should only be considered if you have an external PS for the Sondek.

5 Likes

Darren at Class A serviced my Pre-fix a few years ago at a very reasonable price making it something of a no-brainer

2 Likes

This worried me a bit when I started looking at the Lingo 4 to replace my Lingo 1 as the 4 has a chunky amount of electronics inside the TT. But my worries were unfounded as the Prefix sits easily alongside the Lingo 4 bit. Almost as if Linn considered this when designing the 4. Might be useful for others to know.

3 Likes

Isn’t the issue more that the Linn electronics may interfere with the Prefix, rather than them not actually fitting inside the plinth?

Not that I can hear. The Lingo 4 works perfectly with the Prefix. It’s all low current within the turntable speed controller. The higher currents are in the external power supply.

1 Like

Reading between the lines from Richard’s reply. I think he was referring to my question above, where I am suggesting to install a 3rd party psu within the plinth - with no external box for the power.

I am actually looking at the lingo now, so might work out in the end.

However I would be interested if some fitted the prefix with an internal psu. Majik or 3rd party…

Even if you could physically fit both within the plinth, you just wouldn’t want a power supply so close to the Prefix .

2 Likes

The Lingo 4 should be as long a way from the rest of the equipment as possible and not plugged in the same outlet,because it has a Switch mode power supply.
I musically prefer Lingo 1 to Lingo 4 (and Lingo 2 and 3)

2 Likes

So a (modern) Valhalla-like set up, then…? Say a Stamford Hercules or VP Revolution…?

As a Lingo 1 user that’s an interesting opinion. I often think about moving to a Lingo 4 but discount it because of what looks to me a crazy design to accommodate, no obvious front fascia.

1 Like

If you look inside Radikal left hand side you will see why the Lingo 4 is the shape it is. :wink:

2 Likes

The chances of me looking inside a Radikal are pretty similar to the likely hood of me actually buying one :smiley:

Looking at this I’m thinking ‘air’

1 Like