Naim SBL vs LS3/5a

So here we go with the Harbeths in my main system.
Initial impression is that they need a bit more drive and welly to get them to perform over the SL2 and this is with a non DR 300. A warmer presentation and not quite so open if that makes sense, but let’s give them a chance to settle in and find their right positions. So far just enjoying the ride with these little speakers and surprised so far with what they can do. They will be off to France next week for a long weekend, so let’s see how they do with the CB 42/110. Really a shame that I do not have the Falcons here as well for comparison, but I’m trying to arrange that.

7 Likes

I find that I love listening to the P3 ESR XD. They are not as detailed, nor as propulsive, as the Falcons, or the SBLs. But, they do have a way of allowing you an insight into the way a instrument or a singer is performing.

I suppose, like all of us, I want it all and I want it an a plate.

I am really wrestling on whether to buy the Falcons or the P3s.

1 Like

Spot on @MrUnderhill and sometimes everything on a plate is not necessarily the right end result :joy:.
I had a long listen yesterday and went through a lot of music and I think I understand what you mean. Already a good sign to not be easily put off and wanting to spend hours listening with them. They have a very compelling argument to keep them. Looking forward to hearing how they perform in France in the living room and basement.
Maybe the answer is simply to get both. After all we are not going to put our backs out by swapping :rofl:

Only when you bend down to power off the amp.

Yes…. First things first. I have a cunning plan for that as well. At some stage I will need to raise and isolate the base of the racks which will solve that issue of course

Seeing how they are with the ARTE concert this evening and the home cinema component. Not bad at all. I think I would be happy with these in a second system

1 Like

Wow :flushed::flushed::flushed: what can I say :flushed::flushed::joy:

5 Likes

I doubt that I am going to be able to audition the Falcons. What a shame. Let’s see, maybe there is a way.

Have you decided yet? The Harbeths are certainly quite OK and they are beautifully made

Still persevering this time with them off the walls by at least 30cm as recommended. After a couple of days I found what is not a bad setup and the Harbeth P3ESR-XD is a very nice little speaker. I could very easily live with these speakers in my second system.
Just to cure some nagging thoughts, I will also try out the C7.
Sadly Falcon are not possible to home demo and so they are out.

2 Likes

Love that teapot!

Yes nothing like a decent pot of herbal tea. We bought the pot in Alsace, but it does not beat a well made British bone china pot

1 Like

Hi Mark,

I find the Harbeths musically engrossing. The hifi side of my brain screams to get the Falcons, and I know they are more transparent, and I can listen to them for hours. But when I first listened to Babbette Dorn playing a piano transcription of The Magic Flute I was captured.

I also know I can wax lyrical about the Falcons.

My use case is very different from yours, for my near field system. The Harbeths are a tad deeper than the Falcons. I think this assists them to have a smidge more bass.

Shame you can’t get the Falcons, but I suspect it is that bit easier to just enjoy the music through the Harbeths; won’t get into any arguments with someone who prefers the Falcons though. They are both great.

2 Likes

Hi
Yes it is a shame, but I have not heard the final word yet. Let’s see if my dealer managed to arrange something.

Thanks for the feedback. I will also try the C7 just to close the loop on demos with the Harbeths. I had the impression that they were much clearer and more transparent than the P3, but that was a quick comparison in the studio

I did not have a valve amp here at the time I had the Falcons …but I do now.

My suspicion is that with the Falcons you can shade the sound with the amp you choose to use far more than the Harbeths; of course if you love the Harbeths why would you want to alter the sound?

Alan Shaw was famous for being off hand with matching amps, as long as it worked. I think he has softened his stance over the years. But, I suspect there is some truth with the P3s, they have a character.

They are working quite ok in my second system/listening space. Once I got them off the wall 36cm. Separation 240cm, listening distance at 360cm. I really like the end result, nicely balanced with no shout and boom, with the sound integrating very nicely. I’ve thrown a lot at them music wise and cannot really fault them.

Yes, me too:
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/15199693
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/12708363

Amongst others.

1 Like

I really must take out a qobuz subscription at some stage. I first saw this with my demo of the Naim 200 new classic system and at my dealer while picking up the Harbeths. All my listening tests are my CDs ripped to the SSD of my Auralic Altair G1. I will give you a list of tracks if you like, which is mainly classical music

3 Likes

Yes please.

Sitting here listening to the SL2, I wish I could say the same.

1 Like

I have a pile of spare drivers in the loft, just in case!