Naim Statement

Not long now surely before Naim Statement futures are quoted on the New York Stock Exchange.

1 Like

Someone pls check my maths, but assuming we have 1000 forum members, and as demand is 10x the supply, so each Statement should appreciate 1000% in value upon purchase?

I don’t want one. If someone gave me one I wouldn’t say no, but I’d sell it and get an electric powered campervan. Much more fun.

5 Likes

Have I inadvertently stumbled into a parallel universe, or just a masterclass in bo**ox speak?

2 Likes

There’s a pair of amps on the well know auction site for £100k

That doesn’t tell you what the supply is - how many of those possible 100 are up for resale? How many people would buy a Statement system (or part of) and then resell it? Some, we know, but many?

The people who sell on their Statements have probably returned to a Nait 2.

13 Likes

How many “want” one does also not tell you the demand. But I suppose both of this was xcentric’s point

Well, I suspect that the number of people who want one far exceeds the number built so far. Depending upon the value of ‘want’. I want one - and would snap one up in moment if it was £5000.00. Or less.

2 Likes

What I mean is

In economics, demand is the quantity of a good that consumers are willing and able to purchase at various prices during a given period of time

(Wikipedia). Yes, everyone (except HH) wants one, but that does not mean that we are creating a demand in the market.

So, knowing how many were purchased does not tell us about the actual supply in the used market (without knowing how many owners want to sell), and how many people “want” one does not tell us about the actual demand in the used market (without knowing how many people have the means and actual willingness to buy).

“1/3 of retail price”

This is very good info. “Investment” was the wrong word that I used. What he wants to know is an estimate for the worst case scenario resale value for this toy.

I certainly did not have any intention to start a microeconomics discussion here - LOL.

Without doing any research, I think the going rate for ex demo or recently refurbished full Statement amps is about ÂŁ100K. And I reckon one pops up on eBay or a dealer website about once or twice a year.

That ought to be close enough for someone worried about residuals to think about whether they wanted to spend the money buying one.

Best

David

1 Like

The fact that not many come up for sale and the fact that there is one for sale at ÂŁ100k and still for sale weeks later, tell you that demand is not great at that price level.
Lets face it not many people want to spend that and even more so when its second hand.
Also the competition at this price level is high and sorry to say that naim doesn’t really come into for most dealers at this price point, as lets face it how many dealers have a statement on demo alongside other very high end gear?

Plus if dealer is selling at ÂŁ100k the owner probably got ÂŁ90k at best and probably less to be fair

1 Like

From my understanding, many the local Naim dealers, esp in Asia are open to selling their demo units. The question is at how many % discount.

Quite so.

1 Like

A used pair of Statement amps have been on offer from a dealer based in Stuttgart for approx. €100,000 for a while. Another pair is being offered for a similar price by a dealer in Holland, too.

If it is a question of supply and demand, either there is no demand or the used prices seem to be too high.

1 Like

Maybe people with that sort of disposable cash prefer to spend it on something new, hence few people interested in buying secondhand, hence low (relative) prices.

However, the way for your friend to buy if he or she is worried about sellability and resale cost surely would be to buy secondhand, when loss on resale would be likely to be negligible (in relative terms if not absolute terms).

1 Like

There is absolutely no way to rationalize purchasing a Statement system to be anything other than a tremendous expenditure. In USA dollars by the time you add a comparable source, adequate speakers, and wiring you are at half a million. Anyone who can spend this amount should not even consider resale value, you will lose 50% or more. There should be no doubt that this is affordable and your end game system or don’t even consider buying it.

3 Likes

A Statement is an investment for your ears, not for your bank account. You even can‘t show off with it other than to music enthusiasts, that become even more rare that this system.

I‘ve read, that once a month a Statement leaves the factory. If you want to make money, try to find a few Playstation 5 and put them on the well known auction site.

1 Like

I wonder what the minimum source is to do honour to the Statement.

Would a RPi based streamer into a Chord Hugo 1 already be enough?