Naim Timeline - A Work In Progress

See we need you to write a book - I’ll help just let me find my typewriter!

1 Like

Space & simplicity also suggests that the 90 gets a single bar…
Or I could split it, tail-to-tail, as I did for the 300 & 300DR…?

250PRO - ah… I think I may have heard that mentioned before…
But… like the NAB300, its probably best left out… :thinking:

1 Like

Ah I think I get it now - sorry I did say I was a newbie!
Daft question then but would you say it’s better - if you happen to have a 200 that is a DR spec - using that to power a NAC 202 than an older non DR HiCap?

1 Like

You need to get out more, Richard. :wink:

Having said that, I’d buy the book.

1 Like

If in doubt… Ask… !!!

I cannot answer your question, myself… But perhaps more knowledgeable Forum-ites may know…?

1 Like

I must say moving over to Naim and the forum and all this different way of working has really reignited my love of the hobby. There was none of this when I ran musical fidelity and/or Quad or maybe there was and I just never stumbled upon it

Thanks guys
:disguised_face::+1::smile:

2 Likes

I have now split the NAP90 bar, to show the 3 versions.

I have also now added the S1… :smiley:

See Richard told you Naim should make a book - Mr Ian can do the research - you can do the writing and editing (moderating), I’ll type it up and Mr Cooper could do the sales and ‘PRE ORDERS’. We’re up to 2 already and it’s not even been advertised.

:smile:

You may even get the “Jon Lee Hooker” prize for it?

I don’t know if you’ve read the Rega book, but if not it’s well worth it. A Naim book could be really fascinating but I’m not sure the current owners would be up for the honesty required. The Uniti launch debacle? The three MDs in almost as many years? The abandonment of leadership to Focal? The dalliance with Sunseeker and Bentley? A book needs to be warts n all.

2 Likes

I haven’t as yet - it’s on my list to try and get one day - I’ve been told it’s a good read. My problem is that I’m reluctant to open a pristine copy - I’m a funny bugger like that. I’ve got a few biographies in hardback covers that have never been touched and I wait till the paperback comes out and it’s cheaper then read it but I doubt the Rega book will have a paperback edition and I understand why they wouldn’t.
I do tho feel a book on Naim could be a good read - ok maybe some bits may have to remain untold but that’s the same for most things.
Perhaps it could be more of an idiots guide to the history and workings of Naim - and thus able to leave out some of the business elements.
Can I count you in for copy no.3?
:thinking:

Whilst not strictly “timeline” there’s a YouTube vid from 1989. I can’t post the link in HiFi Corner though. Search Google for Naim Audio Vintage Documentary.

Just don’t call it that by release

Sure we are many which often need looking in the manual to check up on everything.
Even after more than 3 decades as a user.

1 Like

I can confirm that this exists. Only 8 mins 40s, but worth a look…

The factory looks much like it did, when I visited, back in the 80’s… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here is a summary of the history that I have put together over the years. Different styles are colour-coded (not a different colour for DR though). Hopefully the information is visible from the image file. The overlap of “black” and “purple” has been a lengthy one, at some point everything is bound to turn to “purple”…

4 Likes

What’s a manual?

:smile:

But yes I know what you mean.

How about “What’s In A Naim: The Layman’s Historical Guide to Naim Audio”

One of the things I seem to have the most problem with is the different configurations of DIN cable - 4’s and 5’s and the layout within the plug itself 180/210 etc.

Seriously do you think a starting a topic to see whether members would be interested in helping/purchasing is a good idea? Or asking @Richard.Dane first?

And organised by performance (more or less, based mainly on price of items). Some things are not exactly direct replacements, but with similar position in the hierarchy at their respective times.

1 Like

I will retire… Your version @sihctr , is way better than mine… :slightly_frowning_face:

Perhaps Naim could crowd-fund the production of a book to help get it off the ground. I’m sure lots on this Forum would contribute, and Naim could provide a number of limited edition merchandise to the contributors

I am sure if Naim wanted to do a book, they could afford it… :astonished: