Naim Toaster!

My Morphy Richards plastic cased toaster is going strong after over 20 years… I believe it was made in China. … however there is little cracking by the toasting elements, and the heating management controls in the last few weeks have started to become temperamental… along with one of the toaster eject mechanisms.
It has served my family well over two decades with no major failure, i think it is coming to the end of its useful life… and tine for a replacement. It appears all or significantly recyclable so it won’t be seeing any landfill.
I hope what ever I replace it with is equally as well built.

Our toaster is about 12 years old and frankly age is catching up with it and could do with replacing.

Not many options for a four slice, with bagel button, that takes taller/thicker slices though, at least one that seems to get regular decent reviews wrt output quality.

I replaced my old 2 slice & a bagel slot Dualit in December, it must’ve been 40 years old at least, the only reason was because we really needed a 4 slot, I flogged the old one on GumTree for £25, not bad considering it was a freebee from Diners CC.
The new one is a Dualit (what else) ‘Architect’, delighted (what else, its a Dualit)

1 Like

Simply the best IMO
Rowlett Rutland 3 Slice Toaster with Sandwich Toaster Slot was hand made in Bookham, Surrey (a town were referees come from); Ted Rutland produced the first toaster in 1946 - mine’s a bit newer, but I think it’ll outlast me. I’m unsure of the current status of the company so they may no longer be available, which is a great shame if so.

1 Like
1 Like

You can’t beat the quality of the toast made on a good old-fashioned eye-level gas grill. Toasters are for heathens…

Toastie machines, on the other hand, especially pie irons while camping, well… another class altogether

Surely an open fire would be better … how do you get a toasting fork under one of those new fangled eye-level grills?

We had an Aga in the farmhouse, but when I moved to the cottage across the road I went for an Everhot. It’s cheaper and more flexible, and it is made locally.
To keep to the topic, it has a grill, and can use an Aga type toaster (brilliant).

They look superb. I have a small Aga cooker and am happy with it, but might have gone for an Everhot if I’d known about them.

1 Like

I stumbled upon them one day when looking for a pub.

1 Like

We have a Rayburn (decided better than aga as more controllable) but never really used it for toast Despite having the appropriate toasting thing! It has been a bit disappointing though - £1200 repair needed this year and ten years ago (at three years old) it set itself alight leading to £20k insurance claim, followed by our insurer suing the installer and Rayburn too!

When I lived with my grandparents in the 60’s the Rayburn heated the water and the Aga was used for cooking and comfort. My grandfather, a rural clergyman, would sit on the Aga to recover from ministering to the parish. At least that’s what he said.

1 Like

OK, I’m spotting a familiar pattern on this thread:

Dualit: Classic system with orthodox speakers. Mainly plays CDs. Can’t understand why anyone would run anything else. Convinced that one gets what one pays for and those who spend less are cloth-eared loons whereas those who spend more are flash idiots.

Open fire toasting: Vinyl only fanatic with some other eccentricities such as vintage CB-only and speakers that no-one else has used for years. Doesn’t care how much of a weirdo they come across as.

Aga or similar: Olive fanatic, preferably with SBLs. Never mind the inefficiency, just feel the quality. Can’t understand why these young whippersnappers get so excited about streaming.

Morphy Richards: runs simple system quite happily. Gets stick from the other types, but is quite content that they didn’t waste their money on something crazy-money when what they’ve got has always worked perfectly well.

Anyone else see the similarities?

Mark

6 Likes

I’ll just leave this here :

The week before last Christmas… no engineers available, so DIY fix. Not fun.

Thus :

It meant I had to completely replace the kitchen, worktops, electrics, floors and all the appliances… but it was worth it ! Good riddance to the Rayburn.

1 Like

Ok got a Breville twin flexible size toaster, slightly similar to our old design, though not many to choose from… a problem with many of the toasters I saw is that they struggled with non ‘confirmant ‘ sized loaves which we eat a lot… so far it has worked wonderfully making great toast!!

1 Like

Agas and Everhots toss any debate about the environmental cost of leaving Naim kit permanently powered-up into a cocked hat.

1 Like

That seems an awful lot of trouble just to toast some bread in time for Christmas.

3 Likes

holy S what a job

It doesn’t, its like comparing striking a match with 10 BBQs on fire. Aga’s are horrendously wasteful and produce no sound :wink:

They do make a sound if you shut your finger in the cast iron door…many years ago at a farmhouse B and B the farmers wife was cooking breakfast, and ouch. But yes they are wasteful👍

2 Likes